Post  Posted 7 May 2007 5:30 am    

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H2/

$199 street price

Brad

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 8:21 am    

Now we're talking! The 360 degree feature sounds great for bandstand and rehearsal applications. I want one!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 10:48 am    

I'm not really sure why but I think I need one of these to go along with all the other stuff I have and really need Sad

$199..thats a killer price

tp

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 10:31 am    

Man that looks cool!I think that I'll get one and record the band that I play in,and show the drummer how much he overplays instead of telling him about it.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 May 2007 1:35 am    

These small portable MP3/WAVE recorders are worth there weight in Gold...

I have been using an Edirol R-1 for a year now, I have recorded every gig , every rehearsal and the entire St Louis Convention last year.

Although I really like the Edirol R-1, it is one of the early entires on the market and it's only about a year and a half old ! I paid $350...

The newer units aka..Zoom H-2 @$199 offer smaller size, the SD card rather than compact flash and does have a two channel meter, where the R-1 has a 1 channel combo meter. Which is the R-1's biggest downfall.

The two channel dual mic untis are very cool especially when used with a small Sony Stereo Condensor mic which does 90 / 120 degress, but this H2 unit with 3 on board mics and the various patterns is very sweet !

The sound quality from MP3 128bits to 320bits is hardly noticable for live gigs, the Wave 16 bit and 24 bit are very clean...

Some of the R-1 clips I have from the gigs were used on a few band DEMO cd's which we needed in a hurry. Talk about convenience...

I believe this H2 will be the HOTTEST of the small STEREO palm recorders especially because it does offer the external mic option as well.

I believe I will be getting one soon. The R-1 that I have will remain resident on my PC and 16 track setup, as I use it to record tunes off the NET and also transfer 16 track mastered songs to the PC for CD burning..

Ya see, two is better than 1 afertall !

I think every working Musician should have one of these...like stated above, you don't have to talk about whether or not the gig went well, you can just listen back and hear all the clams and then NOT talk about it !

oh, and you can load up all your MP3's and take the thing in the Car , send it thru an FM transmitter and listen to all your tunes or the ones you need to learn while you are driving, or while your Wife is driving, whatever...I have a small $40 MP3 player which I just bought, it's going back today, that $40 is going towards one of these H2 baby's...

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2007 7:40 am    

Stu,I don't mean to steer this thread away from it's original purpose but I got a big laugh from your post as I did what you are talking about doing with a band that had been together a few years.

They honestly thought they had a great band and when they truly heard themselves for the first time,they decided to call it quits.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 9 May 2007 8:17 am    

Dick,I used to have a little Sony cassette recorder that I used to record myself on every night,I would get home and listen to what I thought was a great night of my playing only to find out how much I sucked,This machine kept me honest,Finally one day I got to the point where I wanted to be and stopped recording my-self.I am now playing in a Country band that does a mix of newer stuff,and classic country...For some reason we all learn parts that are close enough to the record that the average knucklehead can tell what song we are playing..Except for our drummer who is going nutz in every song..fills everywhere,I've told him very nicely many times that if he were to just play "Groove' and no fills while I'm trying to solo that would make me a very happy boy,and he wants to do this but he's still going crazy...If I had this machine I would take him aside on a break and put the phones on him and prove it,and it fits in your pocket..I still don't know if he'll "Get It"
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 11:36 am    

Quote:
They honestly thought they had a great band and when they truly heard themselves for the first time,they decided to call it quits.

I had exactly the opposite experience.

Long ago, I taped a rehearsal to show the band members how bad all the overplaying was.

When they heard it, they thought they sounded great and wanted to make copies to sell. I quit soon after that.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 10 May 2007 12:57 pm    

Joey! Joey! Joey! The drummer whom I'm talkin' about is from Canada...Maybe I'll buy the Zoom and beat my head in with it in front of him? Stu

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 11 May 2007 1:15 am     Yet another NEW compact recorder - Zoom H2

Tony,
Am interested in the Zoom H2 for recording my pedal steel guitar practice sessions but am concerned about distortion during playback. Can you upload a sample recording of a pedal steel guitar that was made using just the Zoom H2, that we can listen to?

Thanks.

Donny

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2007 9:28 am    

It's not out yet. Should be available next month.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 11 May 2007 11:29 am    

I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 May 2007 12:23 pm    

Donny, I do not have a ZOOM H-2, I have the Roland ( Edirol R-1) same thing, more dollars..

These units do NOT have a HI Z input for direct plug in for Guitars, but if you go thru a Preamp or from another source there will be NO distortion. These units ( H2) are not intended for recording direct Instruments, you may want to look at the ZOOM H4 or the Boss Micro BR if that is your intent.

On My website are a few clips where the Edirol R-1 was used for transferring files from the 16 track master to the PC, you can take a listen..

www.tprior.com

Listen to Wondeful Tonight..that was the latest and was done with 16 bit stereo wave..

thanks

tp

Last edited by Tony Prior on 14 May 2007 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 11 May 2007 4:11 pm     Yet another NEW compact recorder - Zoom H2

Tony, thanks for the explanation, and good job on "Wonderful Tonight".

Donny

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 14 May 2007 5:11 pm    

I just got on the Pre-Order list at Sweetwater,the salesman said they are going to go fast when they arrive.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 19 May 2007 8:28 pm    

The only thing missing is the phantom powered
XLR jacks for the good mics like on the H4.

But I could use my now redundant Sony Stereo condensor,
yet that is also redundant.

Very happy with the H4,
I am presently listening to a brilliant jazz band
I recorded in the Bangkok Sheraton Grande Sukuvit
Randy Cannon on piano, Pong on bass
and Chris Sweeney on drums, recorded on the H4.

In the end after trying a few positions in a noisy room
I put the recorder on a pillow, on a music stand
about 6 feet behind the piano player.
So you get the piano with no PA, then bass
and drums farthest away.

Captures what I wanted to hear exactly.
Who can argue with that.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!