audio interface with recording software
power amp
passive monitors
DI box
mixer
mics
instruments
MIDI keyboard controller

now I need help in making the correct connections.

what I know:
power amp main outs to run the monitors using speaker wire...that is easy.

audio interface with USB connector to computer...easy

the audio interface has inputs for instrument and mic (including phantom power to run the mic).

I can go direct into the DI to the audio interface with the instrument.
I can go direct to the audio interface with the mic(which may be mandatory because of phantom power).

MIDI can go to the audio interface (according to the instructions with the audio interface device).

the mixer is a Mackie 12 channel mic/line mixer.
am I correct in wanting to use this?
if so, where does it go in the signal line?

mic, instrument, MIDI, drum machine, synth software all can go into the mixer.
it has a main out for the power amp monitor side.

all of that can go into the audio interface too.

am I confusing things by having a mixer? I thought I needed one.

Recording for Dummies book does not specify. so I am asking for help here.

any ideas?

Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2007 9:06 pm    

Randy,

I’ll try and help you as much as I can without knowing your exact situation/software or your knowledge. If your audio interface has outputs, you might consider bypassing the mixer all together for the cleanest signal path. In that case you would come out of your audio interface outputs into the power amp in’s. I do use a mixer but only because I have two separate systems, audio and video, so I need to be able to run different sources into the same set of speakers…hence the mixer. You have a line and mic input on the audio interface so the DI is not needed, generally speaking.

The trick is in getting your software setup to recognize your audio interface. In most software I have seen, there is a device tab where you will find the VST Connections to setup your audio interface inputs and outputs. The computer should recognize the available inputs/outputs from your audio interface. There is another important step in the Device Setup tab where you can chose your ASIO driver from your audio interface. There is one more important step and that is to make sure the audio tracks that you create are assigned to the correct input. Most of the time you will find that option at the top of the channel strip, (software mixer), of the track you create.

Hope that helps a little.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 3:10 am    

Bobby. thanks. you confirmed what I expected. the best signal path is the most direct. I can easily omit the mixer. in doing so everything is a snap.
software recognition is not a problem; that is up and running.
the digital audio interface (Lexicon Lambda)is loaded with Steinberg Cubase. this is a USB device and easy to work.
I have a nice Mackie mixer and thought I could use it
somehow.
to be sure I will be posting more questions.
audiophile does not run in the family.
I am learning.
thanks again.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 8:27 am    

Hi, Randy, there are several ways you could/might use your mixer in your system, depending on what you want or need to record. For example, I use a Digidesign 002 rack interface which has just four mic preamps, but more 1/4" inputs. If yours is like that, you can use the Mixer for more mic inputs and send the direct or line outs from the mnixer to the 1/4" inputs on your interface to have more simultaneous mic inputs. Handy when recording drums or multiple acoustic players.
Another scenario is if you want a fancier headphone mix, you can run everything through your mixer in order to use the several aux outs for different headphone mixes, then run direct out into your interface.
Audio quality may suffer slightly over running straight into the interface, but sometimes you need the extra inputs.
In my case, I've invested in a bunch of different outboard mic preamps for the quality and variety they bring to the table, and usually only use the built-in interface preamps when I have a lot of inputs to manage.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 8:57 am    

Hi Mark. great idea. I like the idea of mulitiple mics because I may have several acoustic players a the same time.
plus, I like creative flexibility in the things I do. when one thinks outside the box things have a way of getting interesting.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2007 12:01 pm    

just wanted to add:
I got things up and running...sans mixer to keep it simple.
did a two track recording singing and playing.
I adjusted the buffers so track 2 is fairly in sync.
I need simple experience (time in) to begin to 'hear', as I am so used to live interaction.
recording has a removal as yet, but I am beginning to get the feel.
what a hoot!
so I have a major appreciation for all you experienced recorders. I will get there.

the sun is out. I have a garden to plant.
dont want to look like Tom Petty quite yet. Laughing
thanks for your help guys.

oh, and I wont post this recording ..uh uh no.