The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The latest in portable recorders
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 1:58 pm    

Here's something that looks like a real winner:

http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=MR1&category_id=3

If anyone has heard the sound of 1bit DSD recording, then you know what this thing is about. I heard a Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" DSD release played thru a $4000 DSD player. I swear I've never heard audio, digital or analog sound so good. It's on another level of fidelity than PCM audio that we're used to, like 24/96k etc. Maybe it's comparable to 24/192kHz, but I'm not really sure. Anyway, a compact DSD or PCM recording like this with an internal hard drive. I've officially begun my drooling. C'mon Uncle Sam! Let's see that refund. $700 is the street price.

Brad

Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 4:41 pm    

Educate us, please. How does this 1bit recording fit in technically with 16 or 24 bit? And what khz is this recording at, how does it get by with 1bit? Thanks, JP

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 6:36 pm    

Not Khz, but Mhz (!). 2.8 Mhz for the MR-1, and 5.6 Mhz for it's big brother, the MR-1000. There is a good explanation on Korg's Website here:

http://www.korg.com/mr/Future_Proof_Recording_Explained.pdf

The graphs showing a 20 Khz square wave are particularly interesting. I have observed this myself looking at the output of a 24-Bit / 96Khz AD converter on an oscilloscope. I couldn't believe how distorted the waveform gets as you go up in frequency. Even at 5 Khz, a square wave is not recognizable as such, and by 20K it's indistinguishable from a sine wave, as shown in the graph.

1-Bit processing at 5.6Mhz (or even 2.8 Mhz) represents a huge step forward in quality, even though 24-bit 96K doesn't sound too shabby, despite the apparent waveform distortion.

This looks like a really interesting product, and probably a harbinger of where the industry is headed. Right now, it seems more like an archive format, since there isn't really any workstation software (that I know of) that can process in the 1-bit domain.

If I were in the market for really high quality field recorder, I think I'd try to pony up the 1200 bucks for the MR-1000, with it's higher sample rate, bigger hard drive, built-in mic preamps, and most importantly, the ability to use AA batteries instead of being limited to the internal battery in the MR-1. This should also be an excellent machine for those who like to mix down to an external device for mastering.

erik

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 2:15 pm    

Another step in fidelity that exposes the imperfections of a musician's playing. Guess this improvement will keep Paul Franklin employed. I don't know if he ever makes an audio mistake. Smile