The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A/D interface question
Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 11:48 am    

I recently purchased a new Universal Audio LA-610 tube preamp/compressor. It's quiet and sweeeet!

Now I am wondering if my digital interface (MOTU 828 Mark II) A/D's are good enough to take advantage of the high quality preamp I am using.

I am not too concerned about the D/A quality as I probably will outsource mastering to a real recording studio and any playback used for home mastering will have to be just "acceptable".

Anyone have any comments or suggestions on good A/D converters or the quality of the MOTU 828 I am using? Are there really significant differences is A/D interfaces?

Thanks,

Terry
(Mac G5 dual 1.8; DP 4.6; MOTU 828; and some stuff my wife doesn't know about yet!)

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 9:52 pm    

Since you/ve stepped up to 'Universal Audio' territory, you might consider the RME Fireface 800
http://www.centralcomputer.com/commerce/ccp27547--rme-fireface-800-fireface800-audrmef8001r.htm

It's probably the next upgrade in sound quality from the MOTU.
RME also makes a 2 channel version, the RME Fireface 400.

kj

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2007 11:51 am    

My highest recommendation would be a MOTU interface and then have it upgraded by Black Lion Audio. It'll be an Apogee killer. The RME stuff is pretty nice too.

Brad

Terry Edwards

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2007 12:55 pm    

The RME looks good and the price is not that bad.

I looked at the Black Lion website. Those folks are doing some fantastic work. I might be interested in a mod to my MOTU 828 MkII. For under $300 I can have a great 96K interface!

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Terry

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 10:28 am    

Not to get too far off topic but I saw that preamp/comp in a catalog and was wondering if you can patch it in as a compressor only, bypassing the preamp for mixdowns.

Terry Edwards

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 5:32 pm    

The 610 preamp and LA2A Compression circuitry are somewhat integrated on this unit. This reduced the complexity of the circuitry and kept the cost down. I'm sure you can set the preamp gain to zero and use it as a single channel compressor.

You can read some more about it here.

So far I really like it.

Terry

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2007 4:49 pm    

If I'm not mistaken, like the 6176, it has a line input, so you can use the preamp/compressor circuit as an insert in mixdown.

Terry Edwards

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2007 7:53 pm    

That's true. There is a line and a mic input. The LA-610 is a very simple unit to operate. Compressor stage has two knobs - Gain and Peak Reduction. The Pre-amp has enough gain to drive my new Cascade Victor ribbon mic. This unit is a no brainer to operate and with a good mic it is a musical instrument!

I just picked up a Rode K2 tube mic from ebay. It should be here in a couple of days. Tube mic and tube pre-amp might be a bit much - old school overload!!

Smile
Terry