The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carl Walden West Coast Steeler Anyone Know Him?
Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 7:51 am    

Got an email from Country Jack Harper wondering if Carl Walden is still around. Jack said he was on a TV show on the west coast back in 86. Any Info appreciated, Jack needs to get in touch with him. Thanks in advance.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 9:09 am    

I know him very well. He's still in California. The last I heard, he was still working with Sammy Masters. I did have his E-mail, but my computer crashed and I no longer have it. Carl plays great lead guitar, steel guitar, fiddle, bass and is no slouch with a keyboard, plus he's a great entertainer. If you contact him, tell him hello for me.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 2:26 pm     ah-huh

yes I do, email's on the way fellas.

Carl has played with Eddie Drake, Sammy Masters, the Collins Kids, he plays the dobro on the Gosdin Brother's '67 hit Hangin' On, and the first solo album by Gib Guilbeau among many other things.

cheers

J.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 7:59 am    

Carl's still alive and kickin' for sure. When I was in SoCal in October of '05 I went to the Santa Ana Elks Lodge on a Friday night to seen an old drummer friend of mine (Monte Paul) who was playing with Sammy Masters. Carl was on lead guitar and doing his usual great job. I sat in one set on his Strat and that thing played like a dream. That's what I miss about SoCal is there are more "low action" players than there seem to be here. He was one of my inspirations as to my own technique on lead guitar. I first met Carl at a club in Bell Gardens, Calif in the early sixties called Leonard's "Chit Chat Club". Carl was playing lead and steel and using a thumbpick and metal fingerpicks for both. That impressed me and that's what I've done for many years. Carl also plays a pretty good fiddle and sings on top of that. I remember once when Sammy was playing Monday nights at a club called Shire's in Stanton, Calif. I went in one night and Carl was playing a Fender 1000 which had the front neck totally removed and he was using that area for a place to hold an ashtray, beer bottle, and other assorted items. He was the first guy I heard in a country band who sang Beatle songs. A true local legend in the LA area, and a helluva nice guy to boot..............JH in Va.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 4:00 pm    

Yes, I used to watch Carl on the weeknight show sponsored by Cal Worthington, "Country Music Time." Carl was playing with Norm Whistler's band. Norm was a local fiddle player. Of course, you California boys Jerry and Jim Bob remember him.

I think he's a Forum member, or lurker. Hey, Carl... come on out!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Michael Winter

Portland, Oregon
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 4:10 pm    

It's been awhile, but he has been a member and has posted here before. See last post on the following link. Then you should be able to send him an email at the bottom of his profile, that is, if it's still a valid email of course!
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=71151&highlight= Very Happy
Good Luck!

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 6:39 am     record deal

Carl recorded solo for A&M records at the same time as Waylon Jennings was on the label, this was a few years before Joe cocker, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Dillard & Clark and the Carpenters all found various degrees of fame on A&M.

Chuck Cusimano

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 2:46 pm     Carl Walden...

When I was in the Navy, and the ship was in the U.S., I hung around the country music scene in Long Beach, Ca.
I got acquainted with Carl. He was playing in a couple of bands, and we became friends.
When I got ready to record my first record, Carl not only played steel on the record, but also produced it.

I saw him way back in 1973 in Nashville, with a So-Cal band, and can still see and hear him singing "Dead Skunk In The Middle Of The Road. Hope you're doing well carl, if you read this post. Chuck Cusimano

John Walden

Simi Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 3:29 pm    

Ok, so you got my attention. It wouldn't be, Jack Carl Walden, would it ? About in his early to mid '70s, in age ?
If it is, well I'll just mention that I have never met my father. Shot in the dark. Thanks, J. W.

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2007 2:47 pm    

John, I never heard him called by anything except Carl, but that's about his age grouping........JH in Va.