The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  do I need MIDI
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 10:41 am    

I am getting set to ecord with computer at home. at this point I am reading and reading as much as I can. it can be confusing out there. so many words and terminology that is new.
one set up for recording suggests A MIDI and keyboard control.
since I will mainly record lap steels and guitars with drum samples does MIDI belong in my sights?

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 12:43 pm    

Depends on what you mean by "drum samples" - if you intend to program drums then you will need MIDI, if you will only use ready loops that you can import to your recording software then you won't need it.

A simple in/out MIDI interface, like the Edirol will cost about $40, and you can get some pretty cheap used MIDI keyboards. M-Audio offers a "keystation" (keys and midi interface in one) for $130...

Steinar

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 1:03 pm    

thanks. I believe I am at the crossroads, so to speak, weither to keep it simple or have room to expand.
having the option for samples makes sense. an interface isnt much nor is a keyboard controller when one looks at it.

I'll be back with more questions.
thanks S.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 6:40 pm    

Go ahead and get a MIDI controller keyboard of some kind and an interface to hook it to the computer you'll be recording on.

I assume you already have a decent program to record with. I use Sonar XL by Cakewalk. It's a little pricey if you're just starting out but there are plenty of cheaper options that would work just as well.

Another thing to consider is how you're going to get the analog sound to your computer. You'll need a digital converter of some kind for that. The sound card in your computer will work for now if you don't have something better. Later, you can upgrade to something more professional.

As for the MIDI keyboard, you can use it to enter bass, drums, piano, strings, and just about any other instrument you can think of.

Buy a used MIDI controller on eBay and get USB MIDI port there too. Another option, rather than USB, is a serial cable that has MIDI on the other end. I haven't done it that way for a while so I don't remember exactly what's involved.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2007 4:35 am    

thanks Gary.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2007 9:20 am    

No problem. Give me a call if you want to discuss getting all set up. ?? I don't know everything about it but I know enough to help a guy who's getting started.

www.16tracks.com

Last edited by Gary Shepherd on 18 Jan 2007 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2007 10:28 am    

I got your number Gary. so now might be a good time to edit it out of your post..too many spammers in this world.

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 7:03 pm     Getting started

If I wanted to start recording to my computer What is the basics I need. I am only recording a Steel Shocked

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 9:20 pm    

Robert, you'll need software and hardware.

Basically, a program to do the actual digital recording. And you'll need hardware (an analog to digital converter) to convert your analog steel signal to digital so the computer knows what to do with it.

There are plenty of free programs you can try out to get you started. Find a copy of Computer Music at the local Hastings or other large book store. They always have a cover DVD that has a free studio software package. I've never used it so I don't know how good it is but I assume it has all the basics you'll need.

You can probably plug your steel into the mic input on your computer. This will be noisier than a dedicated digital converter but way better than the cassette recorders of 20 years ago.

Beyond that, you'll probably want to get into MIDI for the instruments you don't play. Drums are easy to do in MIDI. So are bass and pianos. Acoustic guitars, electric guitars, pedal steels, fiddles, etc are better off done by real musicians on real instruments and recorded to digital - as discussed above.

www.16tracks.com