The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Herco bugga-blues thumbpicks anyone ?
Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 5:45 pm    

How many of us are using the nylon Herco bugga-blues thumb pick ? I just changed over and think they are great !

Albert Svenddal

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 7:36 pm    

I have used them for years and love them.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 8:06 pm    

"bugga-blues"???? Are you referring to the baby-blue Herco thumbpick that's been around since the eighties? Or the thumbpick that's shaped like a flatpick? Might I ask, where did your term come from??!!

Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 4:42 am    

yeah the baby blue thumbpick, we call em bugga blues here.
Why I dont know, but they are so much better to use, after 15 years of playing I just found out !

www.steelguitaruk.com

Bari Smith

Spartanburg SC USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 5:03 am     the little blue pick.....

Only one I've used since the late '70's...Tried some others but never changed..... Very Happy

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 7:11 am    

I really don't like them. I find they slip on your finger. I find the Dunlop textured to be more secure.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 8:06 am    

I've used 'em for 25 years or so. A couple of years ago I found some red ones at Billy Cooper's Steel Shop in Virginia. I don't know if they're Herco picks but they're just like them, only a different color.............JH in Va.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 11:02 am    

Where did you get it from Jamie ?

Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 11:19 am    

Thats what Scotty call them and that what Gerry Hogan advertises them as from his shop.

"Herco bugga-blues
Light-blue nylon, comfortable-to-wear thumbpicks. At various times, I've seen many well-known steel and guitar players wearing these: e.g. Paul Franklin, Chet Atkins."

Check out this link: http://www.steelguitars.co.uk/

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 7:33 pm    

I got a red one from Billy Cooper's also, not more than six months ago. It seems very similar to the blue ones, of which I have a couple of old ones. For me personally--and everyone is different-- they feel too loose (red or blue). They may not actually turn on my thumb, but they at least feel like they're going to. My current favorite is the Golden Gate thumbpick, also available from Billy Cooper's(billycoopersmusic.com). It's a whole different animal--thicker plastic and snugger, but for me very comfortable. FWIW.

Perry Keeter

Hemet, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 10:48 pm    

I ordered a couple a few weeks ago to try and I think I will stick with them. They are the most comfortable TPs that I have used so far.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 4:03 am    

I've been using them for so long I can't even remember when I started. But I want to try the zookies and see if they are better.

Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 31 Jan 2007 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 4:56 am    

The Fred Kelly picks follow the same general pattern, but they're a good bit sturdier and they come in different sizes. I prefer the "SlickPick" shape myself and I find the polycarbonate ones tend to break so I use the Delrin ones, but to each his own. Elderly.com has them all, so you can buy a few singles of different sizes & weights to experiment.
http://www.fredkellyspicks.com/
Elderly - Kelly picks

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 5:02 am     There the best

they are as good as the best, and better than all the rest!!

Been using them for as long as I can remember that big black Gibson pick breaking in the middle of 4 Wheel Drive, it was no fun!! Never broke a Herco!!

Ernie Pollock Laughing
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 9:31 am    

I bought a box of them (50) in about '82, and have at least 35 left. A lifetime supply, I would say. Very Happy

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 8:36 pm    

I have a small thumb. The Herco's slip on my thumb. I even drilled through the blade, creating a rough spot. They still slipped. Hercos are nylon. I use the Fred Kelly speed pick (Delrin). They fit my thumb better and don't slip. If you have a larger thumb, the Hercos work great. (To me there's no difference in feel between the nylon and Delrin, except the Delrin tends to slip less) You're mileage may vary.

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2007 7:40 am    

I've been using the blue ones for about 18 years. From what I understand, Jim Dunlop bought out Herco and they quit making the blue ones for a while and instead made the red ones, which, to me, are almost identical. The only drawback of these picks, is they tend to soften the longer you wear them. I remember seeing a steel player who had about twenty of them between his necks, and would switch almost every song. I keep one extra one on my steel just in case the first one gets too loose.

Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2007 7:49 am    

Quote:
Hello, my name is Jack Strayhorn. You don't know me but I was with the Emmons Co. for a few years. You have the name exactly right. Not many people, if any, know that Ron Lashley Sr. (founder of Emmons Guitars) designed that pick. He had Herco make it too size, shape and out of the nylon material. There was originally an even better one that was made from a stiffer nylon. If you ever find that pick in a dark blue color you better grab all that you can. It stays more secure on the thumb. The red ones are similar but are thinner and even more flexible. The Herco Bugga-Blue you speak of is by far the most widely used by steel guitarist.

This is an email I recieved.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2007 8:34 am    

Yes -- as Mr. Strayhorn said -- the dark blue ones were a bit stiffer and didn't stretch out as easily. I never had any use for the red ones.

I've been using these for as long as I can remember -- pretty sure they've been around since the mid 70s when I started. The ones they make today are not as rigid but are my favorite shape -- never knew Ron Sr was involved but it doesn't surprise me at all.

Just ordered a dozen from Scottys. That should last me a year or two. Go Bugga Blue. Very Happy

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2007 9:35 pm    

I've used them for years. Best pick I've ever used and I've tried several. My only complaint is that they stretch when exposed to body heat. But that's not a problem because I always keep a couple lying in between the necks of the steel. When the one I'm using starts to feel a little limber, I just grab a fresh one that's cooler.

Ken

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2007 11:26 pm    

I remember trying that pick a few years back and not being that impressed. For my small thumbs, the Peavey mediums have been by far my favorites (and I've tried them all, Zookies, etc.). But because of this new propaganda, I'm interested again -- I'll have to pick on up.

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about

Alan Kendall

Maury County Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 7:47 pm    

The weird thing about the blue (or red) herco's is that they vary so much in thickness. Some are really thin some are medium and some are just right,although they are all supposed to be a uniform thickness.So I have to go through a bundle to find 3 or 4 that are good for me. Other than that I like them. Anybody else find this to be true.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 7:55 pm    

Not exactly, but I do buy them a dozen at a time and keep 3 or 4 in my pick bag at all times. When one gets stretched to the point of not staying on well I throw it away. A dozen lasts me about a year -- then I buy another dozen. A new one is the most comfortable pick I've ever used. The nylon surface is absolutely noise-free and the size and shape of the part that contacts the string is just right for me -- and, apparently, lots of other steel and b*njo players. Very Happy

Robert Fleming

Camden, NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 1:50 am     Herco Bugga Blues Picks

I have tried the Hercos and still have a few, Golden Gates and now Zookies. I like the Zookies for steel but not the banjo. I really like the Golden Gate on banjo and guitar though
Stage One PSG, Old Deluxe Reverb,Peavey Session 500,Nashville Telecaster, Alvarez Yari DY62 Cedar Top acoustic, Alvarez AJ-60-12 acoustic 12 string, Larivee OM-3 Acoustic, Harmony MOTS lap steel, Magnatone MOTS lap steel, Gibson BR-9 lap steel, Andy Hintons coated picks, Ernie Cawby's amp stand, Sharp Covers Nashville Amp and Guitar covers

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 5:26 am    

Been using both blue and red picks for donkey's years.

I have 2 dozen of each in case production is ever stopped. Winking
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,