The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MINI-DISK recording, then playing for gigs?
Wes Hamshaw

Pacific City, Oregon * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2006 11:22 am    

Anyone fine-tune their BIAB songs, then record their sequences to Mini-Disk?

Not being very computer savy, it seems that this may be a way to play solo gigs
without taking the computer along. There are rack mount units available, but not much
info on their use “on the job”.

Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks......Wes

Dave Frye

Atwater, CA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2006 1:04 pm    

My wife is a gospel singer and she uses a min disc exclusively on her performance tracks for her trio. She is very satisfied with it and uses it to record all her tracks on. It is very easy to use for her on stage,etc. Dave Frye

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2006 1:09 pm    

I rendered the BIAB files to wav. then put them on my iPod which I run through an amp. Works pretty good for a "one man band".

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2006 7:47 am    

Seems like CD would be better. Same quality (maybe) but they're certainly easier to find. Probably cheaper and I don't know anybody who actually owns a MD palyer.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2006 9:00 am    

I've been doing this for a while now, and it works pretty well. After arranging the tune to spec, I record direct from the computer onto the MD, getting about +/- 25 songs per disc. (I had to set up a booklet listing titles and locations, updating it as I add new stuff.)

The (Sony, anyway) MD player is pretty easy on access, too, with its rotary indexer; it's also re-recordable, letting you reuse or expand existing MD's; and it seems one or more are always for sale on eBay. I haven't looked into disc availability lately, as I have a supply that will last me a while.

As for quality, I think a normal person (myself as model, if you can bear it) would need an oscilloscope to actually discern the MD/CD difference.

Good luck!

[This message was edited by James Cann on 01 December 2006 at 09:09 AM.]

Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2006 8:09 pm    

Wes,

We use tracks for most of our performances, and we have both a CD player and a MD player in our rack. The advantage of the Mini Disc is the ability to very easily put your songs in any order on the disc. They are also labeled on the disc so you see the title of the song. Before each performance I put the songs in the order I plan to use and then I can go right to the next song with no delay and no need to search.

The MD is compressed so you may hear a slight difference in the quality if you put on your headphones in a quiet room, but for live performances the MD is just as good and you will like the way you can move the material around.

------------------
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com