The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  IN Support of a "Recording" Section
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 9:07 am    

While thinking about the possibility of a dedicated Recording Sub-forum, I thought of a good example.
I learned about this book on another "recording only" forum, and I honestly think anyone into serious recording would benefit from reading it.
http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/
A bit expensive, but without a doubt the best hands-on tricks and results book I've read. Absolutely loaded with insider tricks for every facet of the recording process. Stav's ideas about mic placement and how to set a comnpressor are worth the price alone. Truly a great resource, I wish I had years ago.
I can imagine some of us sharing similar resources with greater aplomb if there were a dedicated space to encourage it.

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 11:36 am    

Excellent suggestion Mark. I look forward to reading that. I love this forum and look forward to discussing recording here with you knowlegable folk, especially as it relates the steel guitar, and i hope its not inappropriate for me to recommend another forum as a resource for those interested in recording issues... towards that end, People may wanna check out the TapeOp forums and free magazine. There are even a few steel players over there, and in a recent issue of the free magazine they did a wonderful review of Brad Sarnos Black Box... www.tapeop.com

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 2:09 pm    

Now, Ben, that's just what I'm talking about. Tape Op, in particular the FREE mag, is another killer resource with a lot to offer the novice to experienced recordist.
It's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum in the past, I can't remember if it was in "electronics" or "pedal steel", but if someone were looking under "Recording", that would be the place to find out about such a great resource.
Make sense, b0b?

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 6:36 pm    

Thanks guys,
I could not remember the name of that site!
And, thanks to B0b for giving this a chance!

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2006 11:41 am    

Good move,
I think it will unclutter several sections.