Author Topic:  Albert Lee and (Gerry)Hogans Heroes
Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2006 4:34 pm    

Nice playing both Albert and Gerry

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2006 11:58 pm    

Thank you, Jamie! I feel sorry for ANYBODY who hasn't heard Albert play.

Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2006 2:38 am    

Jamie, thanks for posting this! I've never seen this before! I think it's from a TV show Albert played on in 1990, called "Town & Country", which John Prine hosted. Am I correct? Albert never ceases to amaze me! Even though it would seem impossible, he's even better nowadays!

It's like all the greats: they just get better and better - and that's from a base point that few of us, me in particular, will ever achieve in the first place! To name just five examples: Buddy, Lloyd, Doug, Paul, Albert. They were all world-class 30 or 40 years ago!

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 1:30 pm    

Gerry, you are indeed a modest man,you have to be included in the statement "get better and better" it seems a zillion years since I first met you on "Country meets Folk" at the Playhouse theatre, Charing Cross road, when I was in a folk band, and you were with Jamie, John and Gerry....with Jedd on drums, and you had your Fender 400, and the late great Gordon Huntley was playing into the interlude "Rose of San Antone" Next I saw you was on an air base and you were with Jan and the Southerners, and I had progressed to a 6 string non pedal thingy. You had just bought the Finger tip Sho-Bud from Bob Hempker I think? You see, my memory is good mate, does time not fly??? Have a great Christmas, love to Barbara.

Micky Byrne www.mickybyrne.com

[This message was edited by Micky Byrne on 23 December 2006 at 01:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by Micky Byrne on 25 December 2006 at 01:29 AM.]

Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 3:51 pm    

Micky, thanks for your input! I remember that "Country Meets Folk" at the old Playhouse Theatre ... it was 1966 or 67. You're correct, I had an old Fender 400 and a Telecaster.

I also remember that particular US base gig. You were called "Nashville Cat" and it was a super band playing country-rock.

I bought my Finger-tip Sho-Bud from George Pee Wee Rogers (David Houston's excellent steel player at Wembley in 1970). He had to play in Canada directly after that show and so, he arranged with Bob Hempker (Loretta's steel player) to bring the Sho-Bud back when Loretta returned for a UK tour with Conway a month later!

It was so nice of Bob to do that. I was very a very impecunious university student at the time, and all I could do, to repay him for his trouble, was show him some of the tourist sights of London in my little 2-door Triumph Vitesse! Quite a cramped trip for someone used to spacious American vehicles!

At the end of that day, Bob set the steel up in his room and he and John Hughey "tested" it out acoustically for me!

I've seen Bob's and George's names on the Forum, but I wonder if they remember all this from 36 years ago? I really am grateful to them both!

I'm so glad you're still steeling! I'm sure we'll meet up again before too long at another remote atomic power station! Merry Christmas to you!

Gerry

Mark Butcher

Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 3:25 pm    

I went to a Hogans Heroes concert here in Aberdeen this year. Good but too loud and a poor mix, I couldn’t hear the steel. However Gerry picked up Albert Lees guitar on one song with an elaborate palaver, pretending it was alien to him stepped up and ripped off the solo of the night!