The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great Job Mike Sweeney !!!
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 5:21 am    

What a great time we had in the Steel Guitar Chat Room last night. Mike Sweeney had his rig set up and did some live demonstrations of styles and techniques in answer to the many many questions that were asked by the crowd. And what a crowd it was. Mike even did a solo (with no back up I might add) and boy what tone he had on that ZumSteel. I want to say thanks to Mike and all the folks who showed up to have a great time. Heck I didn't get out of the room until after midnight.

In the upcoming months, we are planning many sessions from various pro-artists that I am sure will be of great interest to many of you. Mike Sigler did one for us last year and many have asked for his return and he has agreed to do another. Randy Beavers captured a large crowd last year as well and he has agreed to come back. Jerry Brightman...Tom Brumely....hmmmm gettin the idea???? Also we have a good many folks who play non-pedals and want a non-pedal night as well and I for one think that is a great idea. There are so many things we want to accomplish this year with respect to making this your favorite hang-out. Guys and gals meet here on a daily basis to talk steel guitar...play tunes and listen. I want you to know that you are all invited to become a member and join in with your own thoughts...ideas...questions...and friendships. Any of you who are interested please feel free to e-mail me for the details and then join in the fun. It's a place where you can type in messages but you can also talk in real time via a computer mic and actually have a live conversation with your friends...new and old. And most important...it doesn't matter who might be close to your computer when you are using the room because profanity...abusive behavior...and disrespect simply won't be tolerated here. This room is a place to come and enjoy yourself and we have tried to make it a very pleasant experience no matter when you come in. Hope to see you there soon.

Warm Regards,

Ray Walker
Steel Guitar Room

rwalker5@nc.rr.com

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 5:24 am    

Sorry about the heading but I have no idea how to change the mispelling in the topic. Oh well when we are talking about Mike here it can be Mike and for those of you in Japan just call him Mioke

Ray

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 11:06 am    

Our software doesn't allow users to edit their titles. I wish it would. I corrected it for ya.

I had a good time there last night. Thanks Ray, Mike, and the rest.

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 2:30 pm    

just my 3 cents worth of thought, too much music playing, too much on beginning, fell to sleep 1/4 way into the program. again just my 3 cents worth.

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 6:24 pm    

Well there ya have it folks...not everyone walks away pleased with the show and I guess that makes us pretty normal. Joe I am really sorry you didn't have a good time but perhaps you would share with us what folks like you might like and who knows perhaps that is on the list of things we have planned somewhere down the line this year. Drop me an e-mail anytime.

Ray Walker
Steel Guitar Chat Room

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 8:17 pm    

Well, everyone else had a great time. Sorry you didn`t enjoy it Joe. Mike did a great job and I`m sure most picked up something helpful. Thanks Mike

------------------
www.HookMoore.com

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 8:37 pm    

Gee, Joe, I thought Mike did a super job. I would bet it is pretty difficult to carry out a meeting like that, trying to establish a program without a written program to follow. This was Mike's second time on the cross and I personally thought he did a super job. I for one asked him to play a song because I knew his association with Chalker would come out in that particular song, and it did.

Why don't you consider sending Poland or Walker an email and let them know what you would like to have covered. I'll bet they will try their very best to accomodate you. There were the better part of 60 people in the room most of the time and I didn't see a mass exodus during Mike's presentation. He must have held most people's attention most of the time. Again, Joe, sorry you didn't get more out of it. But I guess that's life, can't satisfy all the people all the time and i'm glad you voiced your opinion.

Edited to add: A good smooth song on steel will put me to sleep also. Love it.
Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 01 March 2006 at 08:39 PM.]

Herman Visser

Rohnert Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 8:57 pm    

Joseph ....if all you put in is 3 cent you more then got your moneys worth.
Mike over 50 people thought it was great. So did I, Great Show!!!! . Look forward to the next time.
Your Chat Room friend
Herman

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 12:41 pm    

I didnt say that Mike did not to a fine job no doubt Mike is a fine person and a pro all the way. all I was saying was there was too much focus on music being played. oh they were nice tunes no doubt but in no way would it be of any help to a newbie only to say yeah it sounds good. now when he was talking about approach and talking about runs now that was good and I had the recorder off at that time and missed half of the run he was talking about. thats what I thought it should had been. and again I didnt say mike didnt do a fine job just wasnt thought out is all. and less tracks being played would had been wonderful. but who am I? Im a nobody in the back hills of Wva. so please noone take any offence to my statements thats the way I am I am a very forward person and always will be. Joe

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 4:21 pm    

I thought Mike did a fine job, and the music showed how to play behind a singer without covering him up. When to lay back is just as important as when to play, and the songs with Mike backing a singer showed that very well. I'm sorry if every one did not get the point. The song that Fred Shannon had him play was after the session was over and everyone was just visiting, I thought it was very good.

------------------
Howard

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 5:54 pm    

wonderful