The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bob Carlucci and Dave Van Allen CHAT!!!!!!
Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 10:13 pm    

Bob Carlucci and Dave van Allen will be hosting a chat session on Tuesday night on the 10th of January at 9:00 PM Eastern time.

Everyone come join in, pull up a chair and enjoy yourselves.

Bob and Dave will be talking about a lot of things that have influenced their playing and showing us some of those hot licks they got

Parts of the session will focus on basic techniques, so that players of all levels will understand.. they will also touch on some very basic rock licks, and part of it will be geared towards the 60's-70's Buck Owens sound.

Mark your calendars folks, you won't want to miss this one.

------------------
1974 MSA D10 Classic 8+5, Goodrich Matchbox 7A, Digitech Genesis 3, Peavey Nashville 112
If you ain't steelin' it, you ain't feelin' it !!

www.steelin4fun.com

donpoland@steelin4fundotcom

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 10:42 pm    

Would that be at the "chat" link on your website?

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 10:50 pm    

Yes Jim, Dons link will get you there..bob

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2005 4:46 am    

You can also go to www.sweetsouthernsounds.com and follow the link to the "Steel Guitar Room" if you'd like. See you all there, it's gonna be a blast!!!

------------------
1974 MSA D10 Classic 8+5, Goodrich Matchbox 7A, Digitech Genesis 3, Peavey Nashville 112

www.steelin4fun.com

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2005 6:38 am    

Well maybe I can be awake at 9 am for this LOL.
Hey guys this sounds like fun.
Keep this link up high till then.

Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2005 9:58 am    

I surely will listen, but I sure would like to see Bob Carlucci play a live video, withn the last steel he bought.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2005 1:43 pm    

Jack.. a live video??,, GASP... what are you tryin to do, crash computers the world over??!!.. Bless your heart Jack, I have a face and body MADE for the net. I better stick to NOT letting too many of my online friends see the ""real" me... Its NOT pretty!! bob

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2006 10:02 pm    

just a bump here for tues night..

It is my good fortune to have Dave doing this little seminar with me... He'll share his great musical ideas and very cool steel playing style with all of us.

We are going to demonstrate licks, techniques,discuss gear,tone ,Copedents, added pedals for the E9 tuning, just all kinds of stuff... Have your steel set up and play along .

There will be Q and A also, as time permits.
Newer steel players that want to get a handle on a few basics for west coast and country rock styles will enjoy this session, as we will hopefully proceed at a pace less experienced players can adjust to.

We'd love to have you to join us!!! bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 07 January 2006 at 10:33 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 07 January 2006 at 10:34 AM.]

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2006 4:53 am    

Looking forward to it. I enjoy the sessions in the chat room, this should be a good one from these fine players.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum SD12U, Carter D10 8/8, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Fender Steel King, Understanding wife. http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2006 7:49 am    

Tuesday January 10,2006
9pm Eastern Standard Time- 6pm Western Standard Time
(International listeners can do the math here)

it will indeed be WEST COAST TIME

I join Bob in inviting all players from Newbies to Advanced with an interest in the Bakersfield and SoCal Country Rock sounds to drop by. Whether you grew up with it or are interested from a "historical perspective" the "West Coast Style" of Pedal Steel Guitar has intrigued, influenced, and sometimes befuddled PSG players.

I expect we'll discuss the players that influenced our playing and what about their playing so appealed to us; putting the "Rock" into Country Rock while keeping the "Country"; equipment, amps, and with an emphasis on playing techniques, from the seemingly simple to the slightly less so ,that contribute to the effervescent bounce associated with players like Ralph Mooney & Tom Brumley that has come to be known as the West Coast PSG Sound; and Country Rock, from the "stream of consciousness" stylings of Rusty Young & Red Rhodes; the unique approaches of "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow, Buddy Cage and Al Perkins.

http://www.sweetsouthernsounds.com/rooms.htm
Click on the link and scroll down to "click here for steel guitar room" and click...

depending on your computer/browser you will likely be asked to download a browser plug in to allow you to access the chat room. It's actually easier to do than to describe

------------------
"I've got the 'ZB Jeebies™' !"

"Pickin' it 'old school' on the Pedizzle Stizzle"
1998 Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: 1973 ZB Custom D-10 8&5 :: '69 Thinline Tele RI :: Vintage Fender 'Tube' Amplification

www.dvanet.net :: zbcustom73@dvanet.net :: www.lasttrainhome.com
:: My Tribute to the Hot Club of America in Hi-Fi
::A Zumsteel Picture Gallery:: A ZBCustom Picture Gallery

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2006 9:46 am    

EVERYONE...has got to beet feet to that chat site...these two guys are really great players, and willing to help anyone out with questions...kinda hard for me to play along with them while laying in bed..but hey...Cass is going to hook me up..and hand me the head phones and pen and paper. Feeling under the weather, and just got out of the hospital. But my good wish's go with you all...God Bless

------------------

Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 PodXT, Goodrich Curly Chalker Volume Pedal, Match Bro, BJS Bar, Boyette Glass Bar, Carvin Guitars, & Amplification, and other neat stuff..I was keyless....when keyless wasn't cool....

[This message was edited by George Redmon on 09 January 2006 at 09:55 AM.]

Dave Van Allen

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2006 10:47 am    

Bless you George, and I will personally try to make it worth your effort to attend !

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2006 12:04 pm    

Set your clocks folks....tonite is the night. See you all there at 9:00 Eastern.
www.sweetsouthernsounds.com -- click on the link for the Steel Guitar Room

------------------

www.steelin4fun.com

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2006 12:06 pm    

Sorry to miss> but I have a gig(every night also..)So how about doing this stuff during the day when musicians are HOME!!!ha.
Ricky

Dave Van Allen

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2006 12:31 pm    

for better or worse Ricky I think they will be recording it... if it turns out well then maybe you can talk Don into a copy... if it doesn't, well...

say "la vee"

Bob Smith

Allentown, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2006 3:48 pm    

How the heck do ya hook up to this deal??? bob

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2006 11:14 pm    

The chat tonite with Dave Van Allen and Bob Carlucci was very interesting indeed and there were some very cool licks that I wanted to figure out afterwards. I recorded it but afterwards when I tried to play it back it said that the file was corrupt, grrrrrrrrrrr! If anyone can email me a copy it would be most appreciated.

Pat Kelly

Wentworthville, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2006 2:13 am    

I got most of it. I'd been looking forward to it for a while. In a different time zone I had to take time off work. I'll check out the recording tomorrow and see what its like. You'll probably need cable to get the two hours via e-mail. If my quality is any good I'll put on the net and post a link on the Forum.

edit:
I've just checked the take out. the 2 hrs is about 17megs in a win amp file. I'll wait to see if some one else can post it. I've got limited space. however it's here if needed.

edit: in my time frame many nights there is no one in the chat room after midnight (US eastern time). I can replay on the room when there is not much traffic if Bob. Tom, Don and the other moderators OK.
PK

[This message was edited by Pat Kelly on 11 January 2006 at 02:33 AM.]

[This message was edited by Pat Kelly on 11 January 2006 at 03:50 AM.]

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2006 7:56 am    

Pat,
If you'd like i'd be more then willing
to place the file on my website.. I'm sure I have more than enough available space.
With DVA and Bob Cs' permission of course.
Sorry I missed it !

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll, POD XT

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2006 4:46 pm    

My hat is off to Bob Carlucci and Dave Van Allen. You guys were well prepared and presented a very thoughtful dialogue. Not to mention being able to hear the live playing by each of you on your individual guitars to illustrate various West Coast steel examples --taking many of us past our bedtimes ! Also great job moderating by Bobby Bowman and contributions by Don Poland. Also thanks to some of our favorite steelers in the audience dropping in to say hi and share some wisdom.

I was pleasantly surprised on the ability of the software (plus generosity of the participants) to allow recording of this via the computer --no tape recorder, etc. needed. Hey, 100 years from now, musicologists will be pouring through these old archives ! I think these special sessions are a great idea, especially for those of us who find it difficult to travel to live Steel conventions etc.

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2006 6:55 pm    

Wow!! These two guys did a super job. Loved the West Coast sound. Thanks you two.
Phred

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2006 12:06 am    

Thanks for the VERY kind words guys!!.. If you missed it or it didn't record right for whatever reason, get in touch with our pal Don Poland on the chat room.. I think these seminars get archived, and I am pretty sure Don will be helpful in getting a copy...

I had a blast, but will admit to being nervous as hell, fumbling all over the place and blowing half my licks... geez I couldn't remember half the stuff I wanted to get out.. oh well, it was great fun, and our friend and collegue DVA was a pleasure to work with...

He played great as always, and I shudder to think what it would have been like trying to do this without him! He's a very cool guy, and has that slightly askew of the centerline sense of humor.. He keeps me in stitches on the chat room, without even trying.

Our good buddies Bobby Bowman and Don Poland did so much great work as well.

It is NOT easy, doing something like this, you would be surprised how much prep is neccessary for all involved.

I am SO thrilled that so many of our forum brothers[even a sister or two!!] showed up and supported the effort! It just warmed my heart!... God Bless you all.... bob

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2006 6:56 am    

Quote:
"geez I couldn't remember half the stuff I wanted to get out.."

You'll just have to make some notes, and do it again Bob!

Thanks to all involved in this effort.
It was my first time there, and I enjoyed it.

Pat Kelly

Wentworthville, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2006 12:56 pm    

Don, Can you e-mail me with an e-mail address where I can contact you or one of the other moderators of the chat room.

[This message was edited by Pat Kelly on 15 January 2006 at 12:57 PM.]

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2006 5:37 pm    

Pat, You can reach me at the email address right below my signature. Just replace the "dot" with a (.) Or you can find me or any of the other moderators in the room from time to time.

------------------

www.steelin4fun.com