The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chat question
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2005 6:32 pm    

I have a couple of questions about the steel chat room. When I click on the steel room a page comes up that says, please wait while until software is installed. But, there doesn't seem to be anything happening. There's a message that refers to loging in but I don't see any place to log in. The only thing there is "install plugin". Do I need to click on "install plugin"?
Also, it appears to be some type of audio chat. Is that correct? I do not have a computer mic at this time. Can a person simply monitor what is being said, or is there a provision made for text messages?
Please excuse my ignorance.

Ken

Jimmy Campbell

Fayette, Alabama.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2005 6:39 pm    

Ken.
Someone that knows more about computers will have to help you with the first part of your question.

When you do get in the chat room, you dont have to have a Mic, you can type your questions to whoever and if you have speakers you can hear the ones that talk with Mic's.

Great chat room for Steel info.

Jimmy

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2005 6:43 pm    

Thanks Jimmy.

Ken

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2005 7:14 pm    

Yes Ken, install the plugin !

------------------
JUST 'CAUSE I STEEL, DON'T MAKE ME A THIEF www.geocities.com/squire592001/jason.html

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2005 9:22 pm    

Okay, I'm at a page that lists who is online. I click on install plugin. It goes through the typical things that you see when a program is installing. After a minute or so, it's says that it is complete. But nothing has changed. I'm still on same page that lists who is online and it refers to logging in using first and last name, but I don't see anywhere to click to log in. Where am I going wrong?
I'm using XP home edition and a dial up connection.

Ken

[This message was edited by Ken Williams on 16 November 2005 at 09:23 PM.]

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2005 9:40 pm    

Hi Ken, when you type in your name, left click where it says first and last name only. That will take you in the chat room. Easy sailing from there. Do you have a mike hooked up to your computer? E-mail me if I can help you! Ray

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 12:39 pm    

Ray, you said "when you type in your name".
The page I'm on there's no place to type in a name or anything else, for that matter. There is a grid with names of people online. I've move the cursor to every item and the only place where the little hand with the index finger pointing comes up is on "install plugin". After I installed plugin, nothing happens, except now when I place the cursor on "install plugin", the little finger pointer doesn't come up, which seems to indicate to me that the plugin has been installed. Everything else on the page is just text, nothing to click on.

Sounded great in Hot Springs, Ray.

Ken

[This message was edited by Ken Williams on 17 November 2005 at 12:41 PM.]

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 2:42 pm    

go to this site and type your name in and hit enter or clk on the "First and Last Name ONLY"
http://67.19.231.218/v4/login.asp?r=1ad046c4&p=0

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 5:16 pm    

Try using Internet Explorer instead of another browser if that is the case. It appears that any other browser may need additional plugins to work properly. See you there

------------------
1974 MSA D10 Classic 8+5, Goodrich Matchbox 7A, Digitech Genesis 3, Peavey Nashville 112
If you ain't steelin' it, you ain't feelin' it !!

www.steelin4fun.com

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 9:28 pm    

Thanks for the help guys. I think I've got it going now. Last night I went to the page that has the grid that lists the people that are online. When I moved the cursor over the words "install plugin" the little hand with index finger pointing came up, so I clicked on "install plugin". It appears that the program was installing. But,afterwards nothing had changed on the page. However, when I placed the cursor back on the words "install plugin" and the little pointing hand did not come up. So, I assume that it was installed. There was no login box on the screen. Just to make sure, I went back to the page a few times during the course of the night, but there was no login box. Today at work, I showed the page to computer literate person and they did not see anywhere to login either. Then, when I got home later today I turned the computer on and went back to the page, there was the login box.
The only thing I can figure is that when the plugin was installed, the computer needed to be restarted. Although there was no prompt at the end of installation asking if I wanted to restart the computer. I'm sure the reason the login box did not appear at work is because I had not installed the plugin on that computer.

Anyway, you can close this thread.
Thanks,
Ken