The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Martina McBride Timeless TV Steeler?
Jim Rice

Littleton, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 6:31 pm    

I'm watching a live CMT special on Martina McBride's new CD "Timeless". This new CD is covers of all the great old tumes like Rose Garden, Aint Women Enough to Take my Man, You Win Again. Needless to say there is some REAL steel in these songs. Any body know who that is playing-Paul?? He's awesome.

Martina says she is goinng for the old sound and tried to get the same insturments. The steeler is playimng a new-looking Carter - why not a Sho-Bud or Emmons?

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 6:54 pm    

The steeler is Wayne Dahl. I thought he sounded good. Wayne played a push-pull at one time. In fact he had it for sale on here.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 6:57 pm    

Wayne sounded nice. I must admit that I was unimpressed with Ms. McBride trying to act like a classic country singer. She sounded very out of her element.

Jim Rice

Littleton, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 7:08 pm    

Bill

She's good but she's no Loretta, although her version of Rose Garden was pretty nice. Great steel line in the background.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 7:18 pm    

Jim. Yes she is good, but she just seemed so un-classic singing those songs. Very tentative and non convincing. My wife commented Rose Garden song was sort of a meager copy of the original. Nice, but so what. I worked for Lynn Anderson on a show one night. She was very nice and the first thing she wanted to know was if I could play the guitar lick on "Rose Garden" just like the recording!

Anyway I am not dissing Martina, just calling it like it is. Classic tunes can be a real tell all if you are not careful.

On the other hand, I picked up a copy of George Jones new CD singing classic tunes that were offered to him and he turned them down. Even at his age, he blows all these kids totally away and he is just coasting right now at this point in his career.

Martinas' fans will probably not really care one way or the other. They will like whatever she does.

[This message was edited by Bill Hatcher on 08 October 2005 at 08:22 PM.]

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 7:58 pm    

Amazing thread! Martina is a great singer, Wayne Dahl is a great steeler, & we get all this negative stuff above because Martina does a show that features good traditional songs with fantastic steel< I watched the Opry tonite, that featured 3 horrible singers, Daryl Worley, John Conlee & Del McCoury! Go Figure

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 9:25 pm    

I'm lucky! I live right here in Nashville and I can't get the TV~portion of the Opry anymore! When I could, it was mostly re-runs anyway! I want to hear the artists singing in real~time, so; ‘occasionally’ I listen to the radio, if I remember that it's Fri. or Sat. night!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site

Bobby Sparks

Williamston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 10:02 pm    

I agree, Kyle. Thankfully there is enough room for us all to have an opinion. I've heard that said another way, but...as they say, that's another story!

BNS

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 1:01 am    

The Session (CD) player is PAUL..

He also told us that he was asked to play an ALL WOOD Steel for the sessions as part of capturing the early sounds..

yeh I know, PP's were all over the records back then...

By the way, Lynn Anderson commented that Martina's Rose Garden was clearly the best she had ever heard..

My first listen to the Rose Garden track, I was not sure about how much I liked it..but I did like it....My wife listened a few days later and told me I was nuts..she thinks it's great..

So as typical, we all HEAR different things..

oh..and here is the Steel Paul told us he used on the Martina sessions..

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 09 October 2005 at 02:53 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 5:09 am    

I missed Martina's special. I'll have to watch for the rerun.

Can't wait until this cd comes out.
"Rose Garden" is way up in the charts!

Go Martina!

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 6:03 am    

I didn`t get to see the show either but I`m always happy for a new cd with lots of steel on it. I have no doubt Paul covers the songs very well and Wayne and his Carter will sound very good too
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com

Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 2:16 pm    

As we all know the great Paul Franklin needs no introduction. But Wayne Dahl is a very excellent Steel Player himself. And can hold his on with the best of them.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 3:08 pm    

I did catch the show today..it was really quite good..Wayne really had some good air time and lots of MUSIC time..

What I especially liked was that Martina was not made up to be a Hollywood Glamour Queen..

She does not need all that glitter anyway..

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 3:35 pm    

I'm amazed that there are any negative comments regarding Martina - I thought she sang beautifully!

The band - especially the rhythm section - were very fine. It was a lucky thing that I switched channels from the golf during the commercials and was able to set the tape!

I don't think she sounded remotely 'out of her depth' - she was confident without a hint of pitchiness. I actually preferred her 'Rose Garden' to the old one.....

RR

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 3:51 pm    

As far as I am concerned M Mc B is as good as it gets, the girl can sing!

Wayne Dahl, what can I say. He used to drop by the old SGN in Goodlettsville once in a while when I worked for Bobbe. Every now and then some horn would get his attention he would get behind it and play. He blew me away each and every time.

As far as the Carter.......I think his taste in steel guitars is impeccable. It sounds great!

------------------
John Drury
NTSGA #3

Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 9:58 pm    

Caught some of this the other night also. Thought Wayne sounded great and it was nice to see real country music represented on television. Now lets all make sure we purchase a copy of the cd to show the dictators in Nashburgh this good stuff can sell. I loved Martina's singing on the show too. When she isn't oversinging like she tends to do on her other material she's as good as it gets.

Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 1:17 am    

And how many other Country music stars have their own Barbie doll? I can imagine Dolly having one.

Sherman

Rich Jackson

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 6:33 am    

Hey guys! I really enjoy reading your post and the differences of opinions. That's what makes life enteresting to me. Personally I enjoyed every minute of the program. I've just recently come back to the steel after 28 years. So when they showed close ups of Wayne Dahls playing I was excited to say the least. I liked his turn around on the Haggard song. I can pause live TV and did just that many times on that song! It was great! Being out touch for so long I don't know many of the new players but I am learning...Rich Guy

------------------
Emmons LeGrande III 2005
And a GFI, Nashville 1000,
Dan Electro effects

In the group "By the Cross"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 8:35 am    

Unabashedly I am a Martina fan and always have been, she's drop dead gorgeous and her vocal range and style is at the top of the heap, that being said I did hear "Rosegarden" on the radio and liked it, my band plays that song and it's a great dance tune for them line dancers out there.

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12

Bill Irsik

Lenexa, Kansas
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 1:58 pm    

I've always been a Martina McBride Fan! At the Convention in St.Louis, Paul told my daughter and I about Martina's New Album, "Timeless". Paul Plays Lap Steel on two of the cuts, "You Win Again", and "It Don't Hurt Any More". The rest is, I believe, some of the greatest Steel ever Played. The Album can be heard on CMT Listeners Party. I,ve already pre ordered two copies for myself and my daughter. Also there is some great steel work by Paul on George Jones New Album "The Ones I Missed. What a great time for Steel Guitar!

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 3:35 am    

A beautiful lady with a beautiful voice. Wayne did an excellent job.

Bill Irsik

Lenexa, Kansas
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 7:24 am    

I re-read my post from last night and I did not like my wording. I made it sound as if I did not like the two songs Paul played Lap Steel on. This could not be farther from the truth. I think the entire album is absolutely great. I loved the Lap Steel and should have said the Pedal Steel is some of the best I have ever heard.

Chris Spencer

Mt Juliet, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 6:02 pm    

Whether you like Martina or not (and I do) when ever I've seen her she always says, as she introduces the steel player, you can't have a country band with out a steel. Amen!

Bruce Meyer

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 6:15 pm    

I thought Wayne's Carter sounded great. I don't see how an Emmons could have been better - so why complain? Sit back and enjoy. IMHO it was the best sounding steel, and highest in the mix, of any show I've seen on TV lately. BTW - I play a Zum, so I don't have an axe to grind for or against Carter.

[This message was edited by Bruce Meyer on 11 October 2005 at 07:18 PM.]