The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman steels used on video?
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 3:13 am    

I have most all of the Jeff Newman video instruction tapes and on every one of the courses, Jeff is using a different guitar.
Did Jeff own all these different steels or were they on loan to him for doing the video's?
George

JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 5:04 am    

Hi George, Jeff told me last year when I took the TOP GUN class that he owned at least 12 steels. When I asked him which he liked best, he smiled and said, "I like them all, each one has individual characteristics and they are all very good instruments."
No specific endorsements.

James

George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 6:14 am    

Thanks for the info James.
Was just curious as every video has a different steel being used and all different brands.
George

William Schmidt

Ansonia, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 1:04 pm    

What brand is the gold metal flake Steel Jeff uses in the C6 and Swinging tapes? Not exactly my taste, but he sure could play it!

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 8:12 pm    

I was always told anything but an Emmons. For some strange reason Jeff didn't like the best Steel Guitar thats ever been made.

NR

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 10:25 pm    

That really fancy one he used on the videos was a Mullen that was customized. What a pretty guitar.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2004 1:30 am    

long ago, when Jeff used to drive (rather than fly) to gigs, he brought about a dozen steels with him. Spent a portion of the seminar playing each. They ALL sounded good-- which was what he was trying to explain!

JW

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2004 9:47 am    

Nick,
I have to jump in here. When I spent a week with Jeff at the top gun school, Jeff helped me set up the Hughie lever on my Emmons. He also did the teaching and playing and video taped on my 1992 Emmons Legrande. I had mentioned to Jeff that I had been offered $2400.00 for my Emmons and he told me "why in the world would you ever want to sell it"and if I ever wanted to sell it he would buy it. I respected his opinion and still have that guitar. I am glad I had the chance to spend time with Jeff and Fran and was able to visit with them in January in Mesa Arizona at the SW Steel guitar Show. IMHO no one will ever fill his shoes.
Bill Bailey

------------------

Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 11:27 am    

i e mailed jeff once for advice on buying a steel he said he could not advise me cause everyones taste is different he would not tell me how to spend my money his teaching material is very good it teaches you to do the things you really need he will be missed very much but he will be remembered as one of the greats forever my prayers are with his family mike

Sandy Martin

Salem, MA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 4:18 pm    

Jeff told me that he did the woodwork on those steels himself....he said that it was a simple matter of veneers. They look really cool, and it's too bad that he didn't market the patterns for those designs.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 4:51 am    

When I asked Jeff about the different striped designs on his guitars, he told me it was just automotive striping tape that you can get at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 7:44 am    

Bill.
What's the "Hughie lever"?
Thanks.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 9:04 am    

Around '77 or '78 I took the Jeff Newman Seminar in El Segundo, Calif. as I was living in that area then. Jeff was playing a S-10 green MSA I believe. I was one of only two players there who had 12 string guitars. I hadn't heard of Jeff playing any Universal guitars at that time. I had recently purchased a shiny Blue maple body ShoBud S-12 and loved that thing. At that time I was playing 6 nights a week on lead guitar and doubling on steel. I wanted to play a little more steel but I wasn't too comfortable with the bass strings yet. During a break in the action Jeff must have spotted my guitar because he came straight over to me and asked me how it was set up. I told him and he wanted to set down to my guitar which of course he did. It was an honor for sure. I told him I was a little afraid of the low strings and hadn't done much with them. He proceeded to run through some things which simply blew me away. He showed me how to do a lot of rock and blues backup things on the bottom 4 string and how to add the bottom two into chords that I already knew. I didn't have the Universal on it then, it was set in an extended E9 like it came from ShoBud. He mentioned that he'd been doing some 12 string playing and he was going to be doing some instruction in the future. I got on his mailing list as I was interested in learning more about this. All in all, Jeff was an interesting teacher and his mark on the Steel Guitar World was very important, I'm happy he took a little extra time with me and my guitar as I took a little of the knowledge I got from him that day and used it at the gig. I think that because of him I was able to take the steel a lot farther that I would have if left to my own devices. Have a good 'un, JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 8:12 pm    

John,

I would guess it is the one that raises strings 1 and 2

F#-->G#
D#-->E

When this lever is engaged, strings 1 and 2 are in unison with strings 3 and 4.

I use it all on one lever...some use it on P4. Some split it using one pull on a lever and the other on a pedal.

Very useful and fun change.

------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8p & 9k w/ BL-705s; Webb 6-14E Amplfier