The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel players in Connecticut
William Schmidt

Ansonia, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 6:28 am    

First, Happy New Year. I was just wondering how many steel players live in the Connecticut area. Are you a bedroom bear like me? Are you playing out? Where? I'd love to see and listen. I just started to play again after a 24 year break. I'm finishing up Jeff Newnan's "Up from the Top" series. I have a Sho-Bud SuperPro Charcoal color with wood necks (black always sounds better) 8&6, Goodrich pedal, and I just got a Nashville 1000 amp a couple of months ago. I am newly retired from teaching shop for 34 years and am loving all the time I can devote to practicing, and yes I have all ten of my fingers in tact. My long term goal is to get into a bar band, even if I have to move south to do it.

------------------
Bill Schmidt

George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 8:21 am    

Hi Bill,
I'm just up the road from you here in Waterbury. Maybe we can get together some time. I play both a Carter S10 and also a ShoBud Pro III. Pretty much a bed room picker as well but do get to play out once in a while during the camping season in upstate NY.
George

William Schmidt

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 9:16 am    

George,
It's nice to know I'm not alone up here. We will definitely get together and talk steel. Thanks for the reply.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 1:42 pm    

Try this link out:

http://www.onlinesteelers.com/

I played with a band called Dianna Mitchel and Due West up your way for a while. They allways carry a steel player.

Bob

William Schmidt

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 2:53 pm    

Bob,
Thanks for the information on the web site. It will be very helpful.
Bill

SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 6:21 pm    

Hello William -
I play with a group based out of Darien,CT called Gunsmoke. Jeff DeMaio is the steel guitarist in the band and we do alot of classic country, top 40 country, and western swing. Check out our schedule and bios at gunsmokeband.com and come out and visit. Bye the way, I play a little steel guitar myself.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 8:46 pm    

Gunsmoke......these guys are great!

tight twin lead with guitar and steel....strong vocals also.

If you get a chance, see them.

SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 9:08 pm    

Thank you Howard! Jeff DeMaio & I grew up listening to the Texas Troubadours stuff and try to keep the "twinning thing" alive. It's alot of work but also alot of fun. Jeff is a great player and I wouldn't want to work out parts with anyone else 'cause it wouldn't be the same.

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 12:05 pm    

William.
I used to work with a steeler named Terry Sutton. I think he lived in Windsor Locks or somewhere in that area.

Leigh

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 12:27 pm    

Hi William.
I'm from R.I. and the founder of the Rhode island Steel guitar assoc.I now live in the north east Tennesee area. there is lots of steel around here.There are a couple of steel players that i know in Conn. One is Dave Nuggent he is in the Groton area and the Steve Todd forgot his area them there is one in Wilamatic and a music teacher in one of the Colleges.I will sell you our place here if you are interested.It is 3/4 acre of land with a 16x80 Mobil home on it with a 12x20 yard barn.The home is a 1999.Taxes are $96.00 a year. Asking $44,900,00
Sam White

William Schmidt

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 12:39 pm    

Thanks for all the replies guys. It is great to get some info on groups playing in the area, and fellow steelers.

Scott, I'll try to get out to see you work, thanks for the info and web site.

Leigh, I think Terry is in Torrington, as per the site on steel players listed above. I remember hearing him when we had the Conn. P.S.A. and meet at the Cloverleaf in Middletown. He was awesome then.

Sam, thanks for the offer on the place. I don't think the little woman is ready to move just yet.

------------------
Bill Schmidt

Bill Waskiewicz

Deerfield Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 6:52 am    

William: Not much of a showing from my old state of connecticut (Stafford Springs)
Bill W.

Leigh Howell

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 10:34 am    

THere was a steeler that lived in Somers years ago. His name was Pete Duhart. I think another in that area was Paul Lambert.

Leigh

Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 10:54 am    

I'm a new player. I live in Windsor, CT. I just bought a new GFI. I'm starting lessons tomorrow! I've been using Jeff Newman's Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques and have a Jeff Newman "Up from the Top" set coming as a late Christmas present when I'm ready for that. I just started before Christmas so I'm just getting my feet wet at this point. I've been playing guitar (most styles) for many years. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm willing at some point to do a get together if anyone is up for that in the future.

Bob Porri

[This message was edited by Robert Porri on 04 January 2004 at 10:55 AM.]

William Schmidt

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2004 6:54 am    

Bob,
Good to hear from you. The "Up From the Top" is an excellent learning series,IMHO. I am just finishing the series. Who are you taking steel lessons from? e-mail me. Some of us in CT. should get together and jam.

------------------
Bill Schmidt

[This message was edited by William Schmidt on 05 January 2004 at 06:55 AM.]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2004 7:18 am    

Leigh,Paul Lambert live in Monson Mass and near the Stafford springs CT. Line. Other steelers in CT. there is Larry Coxx of The late great Fiddler Slim Coxxs Family who works and probably runs Rivers Music in Middletown. And theres Dickie Drake from the Stafford area and he's a good un and I believe a Fire chief. Pete Duhart moved to Oregon a decade or more ago.He surfaced once a while back on the forum but it has been a while. Joe

SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2004 10:53 am    

Hello Joe-
It's good to see your post, as I remember "sitting in" with you somewhere in Springfield, Mass years ago.
I want to just update you on some changes since you've moved. Paul Lambert is now living in Hawaii, Dick Drake is still playing in the area with his band "Cobblestone Road", Larry Coxx doesn't really do the club circuit any more, and Terry Sutton is in the Vernon area and plays with his band "Stone Canyon". I am surprised that more Connecticut players haven't posted, but we are fortunate to have some GREAT players here. I am also proud to have gigged with most of them.

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2004 11:20 am    

Jon Widgren is up in CT... plays with Western Caravan. I've only seen them playing out here in NYC, but it's worth keeping tabs on the website and definitely worth going out and catching a show. Really good picker, really nice guy to boot.
www.westerncaravan.com

Leigh Howell

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2004 2:54 pm    

Joe.
Thanks for the correction. I guess the senior moments are really taking there toll.
I once recorded a couple songs in Paul Lamberts garage. He was the producer. He had a Reel to Reel Crown Recorder. And I had Terry Sutton living in the wrong place also!!! And I worked with him, and Tiny Demos at the Melody bar. Hope your doing ok.

Leigh

Bill Waskiewicz

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2004 4:32 pm    

I used to frequent a Melody Bar in West Springfield, Mass in my younger years, and it was real country.

Leigh Howell

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2004 10:00 am    

We worked the Melody bar in West Springield on Tue nights in the front lounge. Worked the back room with Dick Curless, Elton Britt, and other guest artists. Circa 1968-69

Leigh

Bill Waskiewicz

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2004 1:43 pm    

Leigh it is a small world, It was around the late 60's when I hung around the West Springfield area also a small bar on the main drag in Palmer, Mass and a down stairs bar on the main street in Monson, Mass can't remember there names, must have been bad beer or something. I think that was around the time Dick C's tomb stone every mile came out.
Bill W.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2004 7:14 am    

Wow the Melody bar that brings back memories.I almost said that was the first place I ever worked in Springfield but I just remembed I played bass for Ray Parker at the Chimes one night earlier. In that band that particular night was Mike kneelan Drums,Jim Collins Lead,Leigh Howell vocals,Ray Parker,Vocals and lil ole me bass?and a few vocals.Scott I think our paths have crossed several times,nice to hear from you again.I think Leigh will agree with me that the Conn,Mass area has had some of the best musicians around that could have worked anywhere. Guys like Scott Tyler have assured that tradition will continue. Seems I remember a guy by the name of Smiley something or other also a Springfield native who got out while the going was good. .I played baseball with a couple of Waskiewicz boys from Southbridge.We played for the Pilsudski club of Southbridge.

Bill Waskiewicz

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2004 4:04 pm    

Joe: I have never played baseball, it must have been some long lost relatives with a name like that. I wonder if you remember a truck stop on route 20 in sturbrdige, MA that had a country band playing in the basement around 1980??.
Bill W.

[This message was edited by Bill Waskiewicz on 08 January 2004 at 04:07 PM.]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2004 8:52 pm    

Before my time Bill, I arrived in Mass about 68 after discharge at Fort Devens. However I do recall the Stone inn,The Dugout and the Depot in Charlton.