The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1962 Price Single-You Took Her off My Hands
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2003 7:50 pm    

I wonder if anyone out there has the single recording of You Took Her off My Hands with BE on steel recorded on or about 1962. I was looking for some info today on the net and that was the date given for the single. If so, is it different than the cut on the Album "Burning Memories" that has all the strings? I seem to recall a version that just had steel and fiddle similiar to his cut on Soft Rain without strings. I think I used to have the single years ago but I am sure that it is long gone. Don't know what was on the other side. Thanks for any info.

George

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2003 9:50 pm    

The original version was recorded in -62, and if I remember correct, it's the only version Price recorded in the 60's ( could be the only one he ever recorded, I'm not too familiar with his later material ). The arrangement is sort of lush and features more than just one fiddle, rather a string section. Buddy Emmons says this is the first recording, that featured the now standard chromatic strings on E9, though they were not yet on top, but on the bass string slots.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2003 7:31 am    

Ray also released "Walk Me to the Door" in 62 that had the first string section i'd heard. Took me a while to believe it was really Ray Price. That song is not on any of his CD's I have and i've never heard the song since then.
Conway wrote it and after hearing the song he decided to go country. That's the way I heard it.

Bob

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2003 12:30 pm    

All 3 of the above mentioned songs were released on the Burning Memories album in 1965. All 3 are also on the Bear Family 10 cd release. Soft rain was also on albums released in 1963 (Same Old Me), 1967 (Danny Boy), and 2000 (Prisoner of Love).
You Took Her Off My Hands and Walk Me To The Door on the above 2 albums only.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html