The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Walter Haynes
Barney Y. Miller

Covington, GA, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2003 3:02 pm    

Us older players remember how great Walter plays especially some of his first work with Little Jimmy Dickens (We Could). I had the pleasure of hearing a part of the Walter Haynes "Back Again" album over at Garland Nash's new home where he played that song unlike the 54-56 on Jimmy's cut. In addition to "We Could" there are 9 others that are equally as good. I think Garland purchased the albun from Emmons Guitar Inc. Great job Walter!!! Even Tony Lane would be proud!!!

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 21 May 2003 2:51 am    

Hey Barney, Speaking of Garland, what a wonderful event to hear his talent at Saluda. The man must have been born with a steel on his lap...his smooth approach and lively attack mesh to a great performance.
Sincerely, Bob

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 May 2003 7:44 am    

Right on with Walter Haynes. Great player and a fine person to boot !

Carl West
Emmons LaGrande lll

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 May 2003 10:11 am    

Barney- Talking about "Old" players- Moving some things aroud today I found a Bio in an old Hillbilly News about Don Kidwell. Didn't you record on his first record???? Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 May 2003 9:48 am    

I remember Walter best for his early instrumentals, like "High Boots" and "Gear Jammin", and from his backup work on Patsy Cline's greatest recordings, like "Crazy", and "I Fall To Pieces". He's one of the true "pioneers of pedals", and deserves a lot more recognition.

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2003 10:36 am    

I believe it was Ben Keith on "I Fall To Pieces." Walter did SO MUCH for country music!

Pat Coyne

Gallatin
Post  Posted 25 May 2003 5:26 am    

I Fall to Pieces....I believe that was Pete Drake?

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2003 6:28 am    

http://www.thecoolgroove.com/ben.html

Pat Coyne

Gallatin
Post  Posted 25 May 2003 10:57 pm    

hmmmm Hank Garland told me he was quite sure it was Pete Drake, and several others I have talked to said the same. Whoever it was, it was sweet and tasteful!! As busy the A players were at that time I realize it was easy to "lose track" of all the sessions they had played on. Not that this info is "earth shaking"...but can anyone shed more light on this mystery?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 May 2003 9:53 am    

For the "record"...

Haynes on "Crazy", and Keith on "I Fall To Pieces". I did not mean to slight Ben, he's one of the greats.

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2003 11:41 am    

Just thought I'd chime in since I saw both of these songs mentioned. Through shear coincidence, Jimmy Roy owns 2 steels I believe were the guitars used on "Crazy" and "I Fall to Pieces".
Wasn't "Crazy" Walter with his T-8 Bigsby, and "I Fall to Pieces" Ben with his D-8 Sho~Bud? If that's right Jimmy's got both of those guitars. He uses the Sho~Bud regularly and wants to get Walter's Bigsby together(it was modified at some point possibly byu Shot)with the same changes as the S~B and start using it. And everyone can rest assured they're in respectful hands!
BTW I heard some place that Walter's Bigsby was the prototype for the Sho~Buds. Is that true?

[This message was edited by Mike Black on 29 May 2003 at 12:47 PM.]

Walter Haynes

Bullard.Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 May 2003 7:35 pm    

I did use the Bixby on Crazy and a good many of Patsy's recordings. Shot Jackson later put some Sho-Bud pedals on it for me. It was a great guitar, wish I still had it----

Walter Haynes

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 May 2003 4:38 am    

Walter, did you play on JD's "Conscience". I had the 45 of it but got lost somewhere. I have tried everywhere to find it , its not on any of JD's albums. I rate that song and the steel break up there with We Could.

Walter Haynes

Bullard.Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 May 2003 2:54 pm    

Yes I did play steel on Jimmy Dickens recording of Conscience, we recorded that one in the late fifties I believe. Glad you liked the record, if you find one I'd like to have a copy-----

Walter Haynes

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 May 2003 2:58 pm    

Hi Dan. I agree with you. The entro on "Concience" is right up there with "We Could". It is incredible what Walter played with the pedals of that era. Walter Haynes, on of the greatest. Jody.

[This message was edited by Jody Sanders on 31 May 2003 at 03:59 PM.]

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 31 May 2003 8:50 pm    

Walter, Weren't you on the early "That Good Ole Nashville Music" programs? Also, Did you play on some sessions in about 1969 or 1970 with the duet Bill Wilbourne and Kathy Morrison? Thanks for all your great playing, Frank Rogers

[This message was edited by frank rogers on 31 May 2003 at 09:51 PM.]

Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2003 4:40 pm    

I was listening to an old Jean Sheppard recording that goes way back called "Thief in the Night" with some great fills and a beautiful solo that I'm pretty sure is Walter who was so far ahead of his time it's unbelieveable. From the tone I'm almost sure that it was his Bigsby. Absolutely GREAT!

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2003 7:14 pm    

Pat,

According to the session logs that Harold Bradley gave to Charlie Dick on his late wife's recording sessions, it was Ben Kieth on "I Fall To Pieces". Walter Haynes played on alot of Patsy's recordings but so did Don Helms and Jimmy Day. The next time I talk to Charlie I'll ask him to give me some more information.
Mike

Walter Haynes

Bullard.Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2003 5:07 pm    

Frank, I played on a ton of those " Good Ole Nashville Music programs, it's been so long that I can't remember just how many. Glad you liked them------

W.H.