The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Byers
Warren Davis

Prescott, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2003 12:48 pm    

Do any of you know anything about Joe Byers? He was a great steel player back in the 50's and helped me a lot when I was a young kid just getting started. He played with Rodney Morris and used to let me set in on his triple neck Fender. I was about 15 at the time and thrilled to get to play steel behind Rodney at the Boat House in Ottumwa, Iowa. I've always wondered what happened to him and if he was still alive.

Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2003 1:57 am    

Joe and I use to do TV shows on WNCT-TV Greenville NC in the mid 50's. Joe was with Bill Williams and I worked with Hal Lemond and Bill Norwood. He had a hot guitar picker with the group and would do a lot of twin guitar work. They were great. I met Joe again in late 60's when I move to Cayce (Columbia) SC in 1966. He and I work with different groups around town. Use to repair his amps and the last time I saw him I put a set of my pickups on his home-made pedal steel. He was back in town some years back and all of his friends had a big jam. I could not go as I was doing a TV show that day. Some one told me he had move to Cal. and has passed away.
Vern

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2003 11:53 am    

I met Joe briefly here in Ft. Collins Colo. in the early 80's. He died some time ago. Perhaps 10 years - I can't remember. We used to jam with him and his son, Keith.
Just saw Keith last weekend in his band - 'Daddy Rab'. He plays drums professionally and owns a music booking business here in town. Byers Entertainment 888-215-7383

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon"
www.book-em-danno.com

Perry Hansen

Bismarck, N.D.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2003 7:45 am    

Is this the same Joe Byers that played in Southern California in the late 50s? He played with Merrill Moore for a while in San Diego. I met him when he was in Ocenside with Red Buff at the Town House. I was at the 101 Club there for a while.

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2003 11:44 am    

hi Perry,
I don't know. I'd call Keith (son) and ask.

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon"
www.book-em-danno.com

Warren Davis

Prescott, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2003 1:46 pm    

Thanks for all the response on Joe Byers. I have received e-mail also. I know that Joe did play in the San Diego area as my friend there, Howard Kischasey, knew him. I've also learned that he lived in the Ft. Collins area and passed away about 10 years ago. He was a great guy and master steel player, I wish I could have known him in later years. He was with Rodney Morris when Rod wrote the song "Bimbo."

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2003 2:10 pm    

I only met Joe a few times. It was long before I ever thought I'd play pedal steel. I've always loved the steel sound however and when I heard Joe for the first time he blew me away. When we jammed it was Joe and a bunch of us 'kids'. (20+ years ago). We'd be doing blues, rock, country, whatever - and Joe would be all over it.

As some may know, but if you didn't - he was pretty much a legend around here (Colo.) while he lived here. People still talk about him - especially the steel players.

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon"
www.book-em-danno.com