The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Curly Chalker Counterpoint; Year?
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 4:59 pm    

I have just been listing to a fine, though very MELLOW album, with some hot solos, but I can't figure the year.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 7:17 pm    

David, Tom Bradshaw would be able to give the details of the session. As I heard it Curly did this sometime in the 70s but the project was shelved due to bankrupcy. Tom was able to negotiate the master tape and pressed it sometime in the 80s. He coupled it with the "Big Hits on Big Steel" album done on Columbia in '66 and made a dynamite double album of some of the finest C6 playing ever plus Tom had Curly do some short solos to round out the whole project for some history making work never to be equalled ever.

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 12:19 am    

I got it from Tom yesterday, but last night after the gig (2am) we couldn't quite find a date.
I would have guessed middle late 70's judging on the recording quality and "sound" of the recording. A nice "early noise reduction" 24 track gig. And the song selection also indcated that period. But maybe earlier or later.
A very curious choice of pop / rock songs, in addition to the jazz, I would not have expected in several cases. I imagine it had several in the country side of the PSG community scratching their heads... t'ain't jazz, t'aint country... hmmm. But the man can play! Actually it's a very strong selection from the 60's pop archives looking back from nowadays. He certainly had his ears open!

I also(unfortunately) can see a bankrupcy since you mention it, just on the cost of the real string section employed.. very precise and clear, but large enough to cost an arm and a leg, and mebe a 1st born too. Plus some of the side men were not slackers either.

A bit too mellow for me, but Mr. C did some wonderful things on PSG. He did really fine harmonizations under the melodies, and at different volume relatively to the melody too. Glad Tom was able to get it out. A nice piece of work from a master.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 9:36 am    

Recorded January 31, 1971 at Clements Studios in Nashville. One of the best bands I ever heard on a steel record. Bob Moore, Buddy Harman, BeeGee Cruser, Harold Bradley, Farrell Morris.

Tom released the album in 1977 and was listed as the producer.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 16 March 2003 at 09:37 AM.]

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 10:25 am    

I think that this album contains some of the finest steel guitar playing ever recorded. The unaccompanied version of If is one of my all time favorite steel guitar recordings. I think that one track is perhaps the greatest steel guitar recording ever made. It defines (for me at least) the very essence of the steel guitar.

I also really like For Once In My life, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Watch What Happens, and Gentle On My mind.

Some of the other songs on the album don't thrill me as much, but the 5 that I mentioned set a standard ef excellence that nobody, not even Chalker in his other recordings, has been able to match.

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 10:56 am    

Hi Mike and Larry. Thanks for the info and the review. I agree on those songs for sure. I didn't get to hear the whole thing last night. Today we were in Little Feat mode in the car.
[ man would I have liked to hear Paul Franklin play with them!]

But I heard a couple of other songs that stood up and said hi to me also. And a few, while nice, seem quite dated. Until the solos.

But for 1971 his ears were not at all closed. Quite up to date. He obviously had a great ear for, and a suple way with, a great melody. Regardless of it's origin.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 16 March 2003 at 10:58 AM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2003 5:19 am    

I'm probably one of the C6th players worst critics as I usually don't like that sound and prefer the bubbly west coast type of E9th playing over all. With all that said, this album is an exception in my opinion. It's a masterpiece of style, execution, taste, and all around damn good pickin' by Curley. He was an amazing player who crossed a lot of boundries musically. My personal favorite player (Ralph Mooney) is a big fan of Chalker's. It's too bad that more isn't made of his expertise on E9th. Curley wasn't a slouch on that tuning either. He was an all round great player!!

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2003 9:30 am    

You are right Jerry, Curley did some of the best E9th work I ever heard. One of my favorite steel albums of all time is "Nashville Sundown" which is Curley playing all Gordon Lightfoot songs, all on E9th. I put the album on a CD and listen to it often. He was a genius on both necks.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording