The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sneaky Pete at SXSW
Pete Ballard

Detroit, MI, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2003 6:36 am    

Burrito Deluxe (featuring Sneaky Pete and Garth Hudson) played at the Continental Club Saturday night. What a pleasant surprise that was. I got to see two legends up close and personal. Pete looked great, playing that old Fender and wearing that crazy wizard-looking-thing shirt from back in the "Guilded Palace of Sin" days. He sounded good, too. Could have been a little louder, but I'm used to rock clubs burying the steel in the mix. Garth was making all kinds of crazy noises. I don't think he ever did figure out that keyboard he was using.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else was there. We were packed in that place so tight that I could hardly move. The entire weekend seemed to be a big success. Everywhere bar I went to was overflowing with people. Not enough country music, but again, I'm used to that. Had a great time, though.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2003 8:57 am    

I wasn't able to make it to SXSW this year, and I haven't seen/heard Burrito Deluxe yet. But if I'm not mistaken there was another very fine steel player on stage too; Tommy Spurlock. I know he's in the band and I'm guessing he was playing guitar, which he also does very well.

Did you see the Derailer's set at Auditorium Shores?

Pete Ballard

Detroit, MI, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2003 8:12 pm    

Hey Pete,
No. Unfortunately, I didn’t catch The Derailers set. I played that night at a “Detroit showcase” at the Whisky Bar with my band, The Deadstring Brothers. It turned out to be a pretty fun evening, but I was kind of bummed out that I was missing The Derailers. They’re definitely one of the best bands around IMHO.

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2003 5:50 am    

Both Burrito Deluxe and The Brooklyn Cowboys are touring this summer on the Cosmic Americana Tour, or trying anyway. More here: www.cosmicamericana.com. Lots of legends in this one! Cage is with the BCows.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html