The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Perlowin rules
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 7:05 pm    

I'd like to thank Mike for coming to our benifit St. Pattys day party at a retirement complex in Simi Valley. Of the few days it rains here, today was a dilly. Yet Mike braved the weather and gave everyone a real treat.

There was everything from country to rock to surf music and Mike did a wonderful job on whatever music was played. He tore it up on the mandolin as well. On his version of Danny Boy, we all just stopped picking and listened in wonder to his playing.

The day was was catch as catch can, with 3 different drummers, guitar pickers and songs starting out with no warning and barely a callout of the key, but Mike jumped in and made it look easy.

Thanks Mike, my friend. I owe you one.

Ken

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 7:36 pm    

Thank you Ken. It was my pleasure. I really had fun. I'd much rather play at an event like this than do a gig in a bar. And it was nice finally meeting you in person after all these years of reading your posts.

It helped that there were so many fine musicians there for me to feed off. Generally speaking, the finer the players, the more I enjoy myself. There were so many super pickers there today that I really had a good time.

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 10:09 am    

Ken You Didn't ask me . I played at the Big Tree last night in Lakewood. Do you remember the Tree? Also do you remember Bill Woodfield,he plays keyboards in the band I play for.Joe

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 2:40 pm    

The Big Tree? Yes I remember it. I worked there with Goerge Barone, Angelo Mole, Dusty Smith, Frank Clark and Phil Runfola in '63.

In the late '60's played there with my band The New Brick window.

I remember Bill well, we had some fun times. Say hello for me the next time you see him. Better yet, curl your lower lip under your top teeth (to make the top teeth prominent) and say "How ya doin Bill.) See if that brings back a memory for him.

Joe, you're invited to our next party for the complex. That will be Dec 13, 2003. 11AM to 4PM. Doesn't pay anything but the fun we have and the satisfaction of perking up the older and younger folks who attend.

Ken

By the way, no else may understand this, but I always thought a good name for a band in that area would be, Panama Rocks.