The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Indie Rock Pedalsteel
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 1:25 am    

WEll I know Ward as I've been to his house and sold him that Webb amp Rig(how is that workin' for ya anyway Ward???).
I sat down and picked his steel and he sat down and picked his steel....and I'll tell ya.....Ward can play man...and he's not just a guitar player turned> slide up and down the neck aimlessly and squelch out some guitar rock riffs kinda Steel player..
Ward knows the instrument well and can play just fine..........and knows his stuff.
So there ya have it....and I hate Country Music too....Well I mean I love it;; but hate it all at the same time...ha....Weeellll I mean> what the heck is Country music anyway?? it lost all meaning...thanks to >well you know> but I like to hear good steel guitar played...
Ricky

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 6:05 am    

Quote:
Yeah, Jim, it's just you...No smilie on this one.
Bobby, sorry we don't agree on this one. I have heard many examples of pedal steel in venues other than country, but these just don't float my boat.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 10:13 am    

Quote:
a virtuoso play perfectly on a piece of carp

true....but how about salmon? they have different scales...

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 11:43 am    

Quote:
I didn't hear anything that couldn't be done very easily by a slide guitarist or an amateur lap steel player

That's probably because it IS all being done very easily by a (arguably semi ) amatueur lap steel player...it's all Stringmaster, not a pedal to be seen.

Quote:
if I hadn't known in advance that there was steel on them, I would never have guessed it.

That's good sort of...I'm not out to play the same stuff I've heard a thousand times before. ...not that I could if I wanted to...

Quote:
I can't see this advancing the popularity of steel guitar

That wasn't my job in that band. I'll leave that to you.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a terribly proficient steel player (in fact, I still pretty much suck!), but that's not what that band needs or wants anyway, so it worked out pretty well.

I thought about putting some PEDAL steel on some of the tracks (neither of the ones posted above), but since I knew that I wasn't going to be around to tour for the record that I wouldn't make it impossible for the guy who took my place in the band now (he doesn't have a pedal steel...at least not yet! I bet he'll get the bug.)

added a few minutes later:
Whoops Jim, I guess you got to this before I added my smileys and self affacing niceities!

[This message was edited by P Gleespen on 14 February 2003 at 12:08 PM.]

Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 11:51 am    

I played steel on an album for a Chicago indie band called "The Atari Star". http://www.theataristar.com/ They are pretty far from Country, but they play this slow mellow stuff. Pedal Steel fit in real good!

Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 11:54 am    

Quote:
it's all Stringmaster, not a pedal to be seen.
Sorry, I wasn't slamming your abilities, but the title of the thread does indicate pedal steel, so I assumed...

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 12:12 pm    

OK, Jim, no accounting for taste...so I won't include you in my rant against the usual trend of any thread on this forum concerning rock music being hijacked by folks who don't like rock music.

Todd Pertll

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 12:22 pm    

Sorry Bobby, Jim isn't alone on this one. Although it may be true, I disagree with the "Any publicity is good publicity" policy in this instance. "Shoehorning"(that probably isn't a word) a steel into a song that doesn't need it annoys me.

BTW I'm stating a general opinion. I didn't hear the posted tunes. So, I'm not refering to P's tunes.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 12:55 pm    

I enjoy and appreciate any player at any level of ability getting out there with the steel and expressing themselves with it in a new context.

I want to hear about more bands and new players ! Early on I used to show up at gigs with piles of scrap metal I would lay over the strings and then start banging and scraping. In the wrong hands a pedalsteel can make a hell of a racket ! Funny thing is I had plenty of gigs even back then.

Bob

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 1:30 pm    

Related story -- I agreed to play some PSG on one CD track for some young musicians (30 years my junior) on Wednesday night. I hauled my Sho-Bud over to their studio. We sifted through a number of ideas and sounds, to nail down what they wanted. We tried four different amps, and in the end we ran my steel through a wide-open Super Reverb in an isolated room, and recorded it with a ribbon mic. Yes it was loud, but I was safe inside the control room with headphones. I ended up folding back the knee levers on my E9th and riding the A&B pedals, because that's the "raw" sound they were after. Oh, yeah, man, that's it! Not the best steelin' you ever heard, and not exactly to my taste, but I made a few bucks and had a good time playing the old hired gun. And they were all tickled pink 'cuz I played exactly what they wanted. Roll your eyes and judge if ya' want, but I don't see a thing wrong with it...

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 7:19 pm    

Quote:
"Shoehorning" (that probably isn't a word) a steel into a song that doesn't need it annoys me.
I agree that many songs don't cry out for a traditional country steel part, but playing an appropriate part is part of all-around musicianship on any instrument. There are songs that don't "need" a piano, or a guitar, or drums, but adding appropriate parts on those instruments usually improves a recording. I think we should strive to add parts that fit, whatever the style.

Here's an example: I added a trivial (IMHO) steel part to one of the rock tunes that my band plays. Later when I tried to switch to percussion on my HandSonic for that tune, the leader (who wrote the tune) said "no" because he had grown accustomed to the steel part. I never thought that the song needed steel, and it surely needed more percussion, but the "unnecessary" steel part actually became a part of the singer/songwriter's conception of how it should sound.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't assume that a song doesn't need a steel guitar. If you find the right part, the steel can become as indispensable as a piano or guitar.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 5:37 am    

well stated b0b!!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 5:53 am    

Agreed. But I certainly do feel that musicianship can determine that the music would be better without. Years ago I was a far better keyboard player than I've yet to achieve on steel. And there were times when I knew that the sound was better without me. Maybe not without piano but without me on piano---and I didn't see nobody else around w/keys so I guess it was my call. I hope to get good enough on steel to be able to make the same good judgements--yes, I sometimes play just because that's what I'm there to do. There's no law that says there's got to be steel. Maybe someday, if I'm elected, but until then....