The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Murphy and Asleep at the Wheel
Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 11:38 pm    

Hi SGF:

Here's another steeler article in the Doug Davis "Country Music Classic" free mailing list that I recieved today, February 4, 2003. His email address is:

Classics@countrymusicclassics.com

------

Mr. Davis-

I have an interesting story concerning Jim Murphy, commonly known as Murph. If you don't recognize the name, he is a well known steel guitar player out of nashville and has been around since the dinosaurs.

Over the years, he's played with country legends such as Loretta Lynn, Johnny Paycheck, Johnny Lee, and many others.

For the past 11/2 to 2 years, Murph has been
touring with Asleep At The Wheel. He replaced Cindi Cashdollar last summer (2001) and spent about 10 months on the road before coming down with life threatening Lymphoma (cancer). He spent several months in and out of the hospital and was not expected to tour anymore.

In fact, fellow band members wondered if he would make it through the intense chemotherapy. Murph would often get phone calls from band mates to enlighten him with
new road stories and encouraging comments about his return to the band. When they hung up, the bus went silent for a few moments as if the band was saying a prayer for him.

After enduring a lengthy summer tour
of 2002, October greets the band with signs of fall with more shows on the schedule.

Events somehow get turned as they always do in this industry and this time it was Murph calling the band saying, "I'm comin' back!" After discussing it with Ray (Benson), Jim Finney, the road manager, tells Murph, "Lets give it a shot and take it slow. If you feel bad, sit this one out." Murph replies, "No-way! If I'm there, I'm playing!"

Since the first night of "givin' it a shot",
Jim Murphy is cancer free and back touring with Asleep At The Wheel.

Brandon Sossamon
Production Manager
Asleep At The Wheel

------

This is a very remarkable story and my best wishes go out to Jim Murphy.

I heard him with Asleep at the Wheel on the Opry TV show recently as many of you did and his playing is certainly remarkable.

------------------
Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, Oregon. USA
Fender 1000 (1956),
Fender PS 210 (1971) &
Gibson Electraharp EH-820 (1960)
Al's Photographs and "Photos of the Day" at http://www.alsphotographs.com

Howard Kalish

Austin, Tx USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 9:15 am    

Big Jim Murphy is truly a remarkable player and it's wonderful that's he's back with the Wheel and healthy. He sounded great on the Opry playing straight steel, but he's a fabulous pedal player. I heard him years ago with Vassar Clements and he knocked me out with his Chalker-inspired playing.
Just this past Sunday he played on our local public radio station with an all-star band called Haybale, which features Redd Volkeart, Earl Poole Ball and Murph when he's not touring. Gary Claxton on vocals, Kevin Smith on bass and Tom Lewis round out this great band that plays every Sunday nite hear in Austin. Murph played superbly. Catch him when you can.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 9:44 am    

Everything that my friend Howard said.

I've been lucky to lately be playing with Pete Mitchell and James Hand in the 9:30 to 11pm Sunday slot at the Continental Club, just before HeyBale (correct spelling). They're great even on the nights they don't have steel, but when Murph sits in, they kick into an even higher gear. Basically, I stand off to one side, nodding my head in agreement with everything he just played. The guy is simply one of the most creative steel players I've ever heard, on any tuning.

I've been a fan of his since the late 60's when he played with Carl Smith's Tunesmiths and I saw them, if I recall correctly, at the Ban-Dar club in Ventura CA. The memory grows dim...

Occasionally Tommy Detamore also plays with this band... same monstrous chops, just a generation newer.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association