The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A couple of questions.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 8:57 pm    

Who played steel on Highway 101's recordings when they had Paulette Carlson? Where can you buy Martin Del Ray's recording, "Get Rhythum"? That's the one with the song" Lily's White Lies". I can't find it anywhere.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 9:10 pm    

JD Maness.....for the 1st question....and don't know the 2nd question.
Ricky

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 9:16 pm    

I thought Tommy Spurlock was their steelman on their first recordings? As far as the Martin Delray song, I don't think the CD or tape is still in print. Maybe one of our Forum members has a copy?

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 23 September 2002 at 10:17 PM.]

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 5:54 pm    

Martin Delray's cassette version is on Atlantic, 82176-4. I think it was 1990. Were there cd's then? Sonny Garrish played steel on the session.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 1:10 am    

Heck Donny; you may be right....I think I was thinkin' of JD in the Desert Rose thing.....but for some reason....I got them jumbled up together....ha....
But for some reason that chorusy thing JD does...is something that tied him in with 101 with me.....Ok now I'm confused.
......heck they're all just so damn good...
Ricky

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 4:43 pm    

Hi Keith;
I do have the CD of Martin Delray..It is titled "Get Rhythm"..It list Sonny Garrish as the steel player on this CD & gives him the credits on all tracks..Email me if you want more!...
On the Highway 101 Cd' w/Paulette Carlson that i have it splits the steel credits as follows:
Pedal Steel: Gary Morse/Tommy Spurlock

What a surprise-huh?? Later...Ron

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2002 7:28 am    

Thanks to everyone. I now have the tapes and CD's. Excellent musicians on the recordings. I did notice something rather strange. I looked at the pictures and papers in the Highway 101 CD's and found pictures of Paulette Carlson, the guitar player, the bass player, and the drummer. No steel guitar player was pictured. Both of the great CD's I have are loaded with steel guitar. So "WHY IN THE WORLD" didn't they have a steel guitar player pictured and in their band? Is this another case of a group cutting a great recording with a steel player, then trying to do their "ACT" in public without a steel guitar player? Maybe that is why they didn't last long. It bothers me that the recordings are soaked with steel guitar and they picture all the other players and don't picture a steel player. Does this bother you as much as it does me? This would of been like Buck Owens and his band trying to play "Together Again" live, without a steel guitar! Still yet these are two great CD's.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 26 September 2002 at 08:30 AM.]

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2002 8:16 am    

They did have a steel player on the road and it was Tommy Spurlock. But he was not considered as one of the Highway 101 members. BTW Jay Dee Maness and Tommy did do the first recordings with them. Later on Gary Morse did some of them. Hope this helps.