Author Topic:  Where is Tiny Olsen?
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2001 11:05 am    

Where is Tiny Olsen?

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2001 1:59 pm    

He was in attendance at the PSGA show in Norwalk this past November.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2001 3:19 pm    

Tiny lives upstate New York near Albany. Bob Maickel may have more to add.

Craig Stock

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2001 11:57 pm    

Tiny is closer to Hudson, N.Y. than Albany. I visited with him one afternoon in August, at the park in Claverack, N.Y. I've had several contacts with him since the the G. Watson departure. He is totally dedicated to the steel guitar, and his music leaves no doubt in my mind that he is a leader in the music we
so much desire to hear.

Bill H.

Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2001 9:11 am    

In the early 80s the band I was playing with had the honor of opening up for Gene Watson at Cat Ballews Club in Humble Texas, and Tiny was the steel player. He stood behind the curtain right next to me and watched me play. Talk about makin' me nervous. After the show he asked me how long I had been playing and I told him about 2 years. He said I played pretty good for 2 years experience on the steel. I am sure he was just trying to make me feel better. Then he sat down and showed me some licks for about a half hour or so. What a great person and not a bad steel player either. I will never forget that experience.

Allen Peterson

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2001 9:36 am    

I saw him in the early 80s in Jackson, MS with Gene Watson. What a great country performance! Also, on the program was Loretta Lynn. Bob Hempker played the fire out of that red Emmons that night! Great show! Lee Greenwood was the opening act that night.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2001 11:55 am    

I met Tiny back around 1989 when I was playing with my band at little joint called the Village Inn in Verbank NY. He was just off the road with Gene Watson, and he got up on stage with us and sang a couple of songs. Tiny's a great guy with a good sense of humor. The last I heard he was working a day job and playing part time. I heard him play on TNN with Gene Watson back in the 80's.

------------------
My Site

Doug's Free Tab

Ed Kuhns

Monroe, NY
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2001 1:31 pm    

Back in the late '70's, a few years after I first started playing steel, I answered a want ad to play for a local band in the Newburgh NY area. They told me their steeler had quit to go professional. A short time later I met Chris (Tiny) Olsen at one of our gigs, and he said he had been playing for Gene Watson. He brought his steel and sat in with the band. It was then I discovered I had some really big shoes to fill! A great guy, a great player (showed me some stuff that I could barely comprehend), and I haven't seen or heard of him since. I ended up playing with that band for about 6 years. The best learning experience I've had on SG.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2001 6:13 am    

Just before Dick Curless past away Dick called me the night before about doing two shows with him at the Circle "H" Ranch in Holland Mass...Dick brought Tiny in for the shows so he would be able to do his original material..The Bass player was a local (Circle H used the previous nights band to back Curless)who had no change for the "Meter" so to speak and probably never heard any of dicks music before.. Between shows Dick asked me for "help" and I had a great time trying. Tiny stayed for hrs. After the show and told me something about a post office job he was getting..This was about 92-93 I believe.I have a live Tape Tiny gave me of the Watson band without Gene and they are "smokin" Tiny is a great player and person.

------------------
CJC

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2001 9:38 pm    

You folks will be glad to know that this topic has brought Mr.Olson out of hiding!
He has joined the forum and I hope will be bringing everyone up to speed on "Tiny".
Looking forward to it, buddy!

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 9:15 pm    

Sure is a great feeling to have folks asking about a fella like this. Thanks.

I am back out playing and have a rekindled interest to say the least. I went on the road back in '74 and by '77 was the steelman and motorcoach operator for every artist I played for. When I got off the road in the late 80s I worked my way up to the possition of Transportation Director at a large school district, which often is a 70hr. work-week for me and very stressful. But I recently decided enough with this, it's time to get back to enjoying what I do (at least part of the time) so between bass fishing and the pedal steel... well it just doesn't get any better than that. And my wife is even pleased with my improved attitude since I'm back out doing gigs. That's a good thing.

The comments brought back some great memories and I hope all you guys are doing great. Thanks again.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2002 10:06 am    

far as i'm concerned...tiny and gene created most of my favorite country music!

Steve Kritz

Shadyside, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2002 10:49 am    

Chris,I second that in a big way.GW has done more for traditional country music than anyone I can think of.Never get tired of hearing"Farewell Party".Talk about a signature song.Tiny,God bless you brother,great to hear things are going well.