The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  78 rpm record players
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2001 7:29 pm    

Hi Gang! For years I was told I'd never find a Bakelite Rick! Then I was told I'd never find a 78 rpm record player! And those that kept telling me that were people I respected and trusted.
Three months ago my wife found and purchased a BRAND NEW "Nostalgia" am/fm radio/3-speed record player. This was from an offer being made by Texaco! It was a far cry from the $450+ that was being asked by Musician's Friend catalog.
Just today, the wife received a Fingerhut mail order catalog that is advertising a shelf model stereo system of 350 watts and boasting 3-speed record player.
This unit costs but $169.00.
Both units are TEAC mfrd. My unit plays great and plugs into a stereo system or stands alone.
How about them apples?

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2001 8:14 pm    

Ray you are killing me. I have just sent my three speed Garard turntable out for repair. And now you tell me this?

Send me the phone number,,I will buy one.
Are you the rep for Fingerhut?

Send me the info. That a bargain and a half.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2001 8:34 pm    

Jody my main man!

Fingerhut.com or 1-800-233-3588
24 hrs per day

For you bi-sexuals it's:
Para Hacer Su Pedido,Llame

I apologize for that!! I meant to say "Bi-linguals".......... I merely had a senior moment; can't control it!

It's a TEAC 30 Watt unit 22AL2 $169.99
and a nice looking unit.

And no, I represent no one's equipment.

Good Luck to you. Ray

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 12:44 am    

Jody: What's a Garard ?? Is it like a Henway ? You know, how much does a hen weigh ? And just last year I gave all my old LP's away because I couldn't find a resonable turntable. I think nowadays they are used mainly by rappers who use the hand drive technique instead of a motor.

If I was rich, I'd have a new Garard. There was nothing better in their heyday. Jody; Mike Snyder's new 78 is called: If my nose was rich, I'd blow it all on you. But it's not. I know where you can find a copy...... Homer and Jethro said; You can make the world a better place today. Buy a copy of this record and throw it far away !!

Regards, Paul

Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 11:55 am    

They usually go for around $10.00-$20.00 at the local Sally Anne and S.O.S. stores and need no repair, plus with a set of reasonable speakers - sometimes. And that's Canadian $$$$s

Hey - I might be able to add another business to the throng!!

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 3:56 pm    

Hey, guys I need a 78 player & I'm willing to pay $20! I got a box of home recordings over Thanksgiving that I didn't even know still existed. The oldest is a recording by
Bobbe's Dad when he was in college @ Fredonia
NY & Bobbe was 2 1/2 yrs old! If I could play
these how much would that be worth just for sentimenal reasons (Seventy Mental Reasons...
Red Ingle!) There are some my high school buddy (an electronics guru in those days!) made of my early struggles with the rhythm guitar & chords. There are some of my first radio programs with the Sunset Ramblers after
graduation in 1947 from WJTN radio in Jamestown NY. 4 of that band are still alive & in touch! Then there are Jerry Byrd @ WLW
cuts I did when I was in Ashtabula OH in 1949. I didn't know you could do the things he did on a steel guitar & when I met him @ the station in Cincinati that spring he not only did it, but made it look so incredibly easy. I was some impressed 20 year old let me tell you. He was so nice to me & the rest of the Pleasant Valley Boys, too. Tommy Jackson, Louis Innis, Zeke Turner & I think Red Turner. Dolly Good & Kenny Roberts were doing some of these early morning vocals! 5AM! Wow! Send me your player & I'll send you a CD of this history!

[This message was edited by Doug Seymour on 02 December 2001 at 03:59 PM.]

Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 5:01 pm    

Heartland America has an all-in-one Teac unit in their latest catalog for $149.99. It contains a 3 speed turntable, 3 CD changer, dual cassette decks, AM/FM Stereo digital tuner, 30 watts output and a pair of 2 way speakers (5 1/4" woofers & 2" tweeters). It also comes with a remote control. Item# SX-35133 . Their web site is- http://www.heartlandamerica.com

[This message was edited by Bob Maickel on 02 December 2001 at 05:04 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 6:22 pm    

Tune in again next year.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 12 December 2001 at 12:59 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 6:27 pm    

Bob,,,I bought it....thanks

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 12 December 2001 at 12:57 PM.]