The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steeler on "One Hundred Years From Now"
David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 5:55 pm    

Does anyone know whether it was Lloyd Green or Jaydee Maness who played steel on this song from the Byrd's "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"? After all these years the steel break continues to knock me out!

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 10:16 pm    

I'm almost positive it was Lloyd.
-Derek

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 4:53 am    

great steel on the Velvet Crush version of this song, by the always-cool Greg Leisz

Brad Burch

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 5:43 am    

I agree on that break. If anybody has any tab for that number I'd be very thankful if they posted it.

jlsmith48

blackwell ok usa
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 3:25 pm    

I misread this post. I thought ti was gonna ask what steel and steelers would be in 100 years. That would be interesting.

Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 6:04 pm    

It was Lloyd playing on that cut!!!!!!.

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 6:46 pm    

Does anyone know what all cuts Lloyd played on on "Sweetheart?" I know it was he on Hickory Wind and 100 Years. I have the reissue CD with an outtake version of You're Still On My Mind that has a different kickoff. I'm 99.9% sure it was Jay Dee on the official version. Was it also Jay Dee on the outtake?

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 7:09 pm    

A bit of a giveaway on certain tracks is the presence of CLarence White, his Burton/Nichols stringbender type runs and harmonic pinches and noodling is apparent on a feew tracks, on the outracks he noodles around a bit at the end.
I keep meaning to sit down and sort it out, I even asked Jay Dee one time,and he admitted that it had been so long since he'd heard all the cuts that he'd have to sit down and actually listen to be sure.

Fish

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 9:24 pm    

Yes, that's JayDee on "You're Still On My Mind." As a matter of fact, it's take number SIXTY, if my memory serves me well. I believe JayDee would confirm this. It's a classic track, as is "One Hundred Years," which also features Maness and White.

Fish

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 9:26 pm    

Yes, that's JayDee on "You're Still On My Mind." As a matter of fact, it's take number SIXTY, if my memory serves me well. I believe JayDee would confirm this. It's a classic track, as is "One Hundred Years," which also features Maness and White.

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 3:54 am    

quote:
A bit of a giveaway on certain tracks is the presence of CLarence White, his Burton/Nichols stringbender type runs and harmonic pinches and noodling is apparent on a feew tracks, on the outracks he noodles around a bit at the end.

a bit of a giveaway on Lloyd's stuff is the awesome tone of his SHO-BUD!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2001 12:51 pm    

It was JayDee on "100 Years", but he'd be the first to admit that he was heavily under the influence of Lloyd Green in those days!

He told me once that they did 60+ takes of "You're Still On My Mind", and then used the first take for the album.

I suspect that Lloyd played on the two Dylan covers (the first and last tunes), and the rest was JayDee.

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2001 1:09 pm    

OK, we have people who are adamant that it was Lloyd, and we have people who are adamant that it is Jay Dee. WHO WAS IT?

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2001 2:03 pm    

I was going to post at the beginning, but not knowing for sure I waited it out. At this point, since there is no positive ID, I would put in my vote for JayDee on account of the fact that there are some stylings in the solo that seem awfully similar to his solo on "Misty", by Ray Stevens. I always felt it JayDee on "100 years" for that reason. JayDee pokes around on the Forum periodically. Next time he's around, let's ask him.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2001 2:19 pm    

But JD says he can't remember. I just hate
that when that happens.

ChipsAhoy

David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2001 4:12 pm    

The steel on that song sounds more like an Emmons than a Sho Bud to me.

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2001 1:31 pm    

The steel player on "One Hundred Years From Now" was in fact Lloyd Green. He cut 5 songs on the album in Nashville and 2 in LA. He also was playing his Sho~Bud fingertip with the "lightening bolt" front and was playing through a Fender Twin. This, my people, is gospel and straight from the "horses mouth"!!!!!

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2001 5:23 pm    

By the way, does anyone have the 1998 reissue, the one with the extra takes, it's pretty much all with the Byrds in L.A. with Clarence White and Jay Dee in the studio, there's some studio banter, after song banter, short instrumental nooding and more.
Very tasty stuff, with a real look at the group loose and limber and sounding pretty good.