The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Garth Brooks TV Special, Wednesday 11/14/01
Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 7:56 am    

Hi SGF:

Watching the Garth Brooks TV spcial last night made me think about the difficulty I have photographing my 22 month old great-granddaughter, Briana. She has an attention span that approaches portions of a second!

The camera shots during Garth's concert were so fast and quick that for me, they removed my interest in the show and the music.

I understand that they are trying to emulate an MTV video in a live performance but in doing so, they really damage the video and audio content.

I had hoped to see some good shots of Garth's steel player (I believe his name is Steve McClure) but shots of him playing were very few and short at that.

I could only handle about 15 minutes of the concert and I turned it off.

What were your impressions of this show?

I look forward to reading your comments.

Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, OR
aldg@mail.rvi.net

[This message was edited by Al Gershen on 15 November 2001 at 07:58 AM.]

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:01 am    

Garth who?

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:24 am    

Sorry Al, no comment from me.I didn't even go see him when he tried to play bsaeball here in PHX.Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:49 am    

I didn't watch it, cause I was warned! thanks for the warning!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 9:13 am    

I didn't watch it as I conveniently forgot it was on.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 9:15 am    

I did watch it and my opinion of Brooks is still the same. He sucks. It is good to know that he still has his track and field skills. The steel playing was good though and it made it sorta worth watching.

By the way, didn't he retire? What gives?

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 9:48 am    

Al, that's very interesting. I noticed this long ago in one of his videos "Ain't going down till the ....." Very microcosmic camera shots, intended to create the illusion of excitement where there is none.
Another example of how he is a master at manipulating indiscriminating "listeners".
On the radio lately I hear them frantically advertising some new compilation album, and gee whiz, act now and you'll get the "limited edition" special CD cover
(As one of his record company execs joked "Yeah, limited. Limited to how many we can sell!")
Included on this album is his duet with George Jones, which of course has been flogged heavily as a "Smash Hit" even before it was released.
Some people have testified on here that Garth is a nice guy and a good musician. I don't doubt it. My point is:
Man, people are Stupid !!
-John

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 9:58 am    

I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE a Ray Price shuffle as much as any of you.

Garth Brooks is not my idea of a great country singer, but he has reset all the record books for sales and EVERY ONE OF HIS CONCERTS I'VE SEEN HAS PROMINENTLY FEATURED STEEL GUITAR. He has done more to get the steel guitar in front of MASSES of people than anyone I can think of. Steel shows are great, but it's preachin' to the choir. Steel players DON'T NEED TO BE CONVERTED -- the general public is seriously uninformed about the steel guitar.

Why do so many of us think of Garth Brooks as the Anti-Christ??????
(my flame suit is buttoned up -- let 'er rip)

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 9:59 am    

Maybe the question should be: Garth WHAT ??

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 10:09 am    

Maybe he should change his name to "Girth Brooks".

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 10:46 am    

I have never been much of a Garth fan if at all. But I did pay attention when he retired from his musical career to stay at home and spend quality time with his wife and children ( I believe those were his words) only to find out that while retired he got divorced , got a new girlfriend, and then came back touring and now has a new compilation CD. I just sort of wonder if comebacks after retirement are not part of the 5 year business plan. The Judds retired cause Mom was real sick and they even did the Oprah thing, then Wynonna launched her own career, then the Mom came back and they sold a bunch more million records,Then Celene retired , had a retirement CD and then Un-retired and had an Un-retirement CD..I'm certain there were many more but I can hardly believe that we ( not me )are buying into this stuff..The only ones who actually had a Goodbye record was Cream, they never came back, but I'm sure if they realized the profits in coming back after going away they may have come back at least once..

I went away once, no one noticed..Then I came back, they still didn't notice..

TP

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 15 November 2001 at 10:49 AM.]

Tony Chavez

Belen,New Mexico,USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 12:33 pm    

If you did'nt catch it,it was the exact same show he did at the Dallas reunion only in 2001,it was at the L.A. Forum,he sounds worse,he screamed alot,Ty England got his old job back,same,same,same nothing was different.It was actually kinda funny.I gotta feeling this thing is gonna bomb big time

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 1:36 pm    

Tony, do you know Frenchy???

wayne baker

------------------
Emmons Legrande d-10 w/8&5 Nashville 400, peavey ultraverb II.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 3:39 pm    

The man's record sales are record breaking FACT! But he NEVER impressed me; live concert or otherwise. His retirement; divorce; girlfriend; out of retirement and his pleading that Music, or was it booze, was responsible for the break-up with his first wife! Just can't keep up with the saga of Brooks. And wasn't Mother Judd's illness terminal for which there was no known worldly cure? Making it to the soap opra field might have been the cure. Now we can see how well Reba Mc. fares. Oh well. Once they let those Hollywood Producers in, the whole Nashville scene went down the toilet! Thanx for reinforcing my own biased views...based of course, on limited factual knowledge.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 3:55 pm    

On Wednesday, Nov 28, they will be broadcasting live from South Padre Island. That's only about 1 hour from here. The concert is free! But, free still ain't enough to get me to go to the concert!

------------------
Lee, from South Texas

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 4:30 pm    

Quote:
By the way, didn't he retire? What gives

Believe it or not, I heard several monthes ago, before his "comeback," that he thought it would be great to come back and beat the sales record of the Beatles. Pretty artistic, huh?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 5:48 pm    

I watched part of it. Garth seemed constantly out of breath, but he sure looked like he was havin' fun! The music balance was quite good (for a live show). As far as all the weird cuts and camera angles, well they're trying to add a little "dimension" to the performance. When you go from a 3-D (live format) to a 2-D (tape or film), a lot of the energy, depth, and scope are lost, and the cameras need constant and rapid "changes" to sustain the interest of the audience (or so they think). I imagine attending something like that, or being a part of it, would be quite a spectacle, indeed.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 6:20 pm    

Since it's not about a steel player unless Garth has a hidden talent, I'm moving this topic to the 'Music' part of the Forum.