The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSGA Show, Norwalk
JEFFDEMAIO

DARIEN, CT USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 1:53 pm    

I would like to thank everyone for attending this year's 28th annual concert. We felt we had a solid line-up of steel players throughout the weekend.

Thanks to all that sat and listened, played on stage, and the great help behind the scenes.

Also, thanks so much for the kind words about my set with the group Gunsmoke including Scott Tyler, my Dad, brother Nick, Fooch, and Larry Eagle.

Now let me get to work with the board and president Bob Maickel in putting together #29 for next year.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 3:29 pm    

I'd like to add my thanks to the PSGA, Bob, Jeff (who played a fabluous set!) John and Darlene, Mike Gross and all the others who pulled together to make this yet another outstanding annual show. It was a real pleasure to be back again this year to play with Larry Eagle, Van Manakas, Bruce Chappelle and Pappy "Fooch on Friday". Thanks so much for inviting me.

------------------
www.jimcohen.com

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 5:02 pm    

Dan Crelin...an up and coming player who bravely began the festivities, gave us a real nice performance.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 12 November 2001 at 05:10 PM.]

Jess Hurt - mighty fine....my apologies for inadvertinly overlooking this fine player and gentleman.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 13 November 2001 at 05:43 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 5:08 pm    

Sounds like y'all had a great time. Maybe next year they can afford to update their banner to show the current year.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 7:39 pm    

Thank you Bob, Jeff, and everyone at the PSGA. I had a great time playing (and listening) on Saturday. The backup band was excellent! I've played on this show several times over the past 15 years or so, and I am always honored to be a part of it.

------------------
My Site

Doug's Free Tab

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 9:21 pm    

Dave
I missed seeing you,,I would have let you share a spot in the "Hot Tub Of America" in
fact ,,you could have had the tub to yourself. I was busy with Bob Maickel introducing me to everyone. I wondered why it was always in the mens room???.

Met John Hughey in the mens room,,,what a place to meet,,,I guess its better than meeting in the ladies room,,,I could have been arrested.

I heard one guy ask Bob Maickel where I was?? he said,,,,in the Mens room,,,,what was that all about Bob?? I wasnt trying to sell CD's
I was waiting for the bus,,,,,get out of town" CU Mr.Van Allen,,,,,,missed your unique
playing style.

One guy walked in the mens room and asked me for a towel,,,he thought I was the bathroom
attendant,,,must have been that white jacket
the hospital let me use for the weekend when they let me out for a few hours.

A few of those other cats should have come back with me,,,there were extra white jackets
to go round...you too Howard....next year everyone will wear white jackets,,,& Hi Top Reeboks....

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 5:32 am    

Thanks for posting all these great photos.

I only made for the Saturday daytime show, but man, what a show it was.

Bob Hoffnar's set was particularly good, I thought. I don't know if I was more impressed with the fact that he had the balls to play such "outside" music to that crowd or the fact that everyone in the crowd stuck around!

...and what can I say about John Hughey's set? Just amazing. At the end of his last tune, I looked over at the guy standing next to me, and he had tears running down his face. Now that's some powerful steel playing! (or maybe just some bad allergies... )

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 11:50 am    

To the PSGA..(which I just joined)
Thanks to Bob, Jeff, and all the others who work so hard behind the scenes for having me over. It was great seeing the different players and how they are striving to present new ideas and approaches to the pedal steel guitar. Thanks Howard R for those neat pictures. I got to meet Dick Meis for the
first time, and heard "finally", Jim Cohen.
I found out first hand what everybody's been
talking about. Dan Crelin and his wife were
just the nicest folks you would ever want to
meet. All the players were top shelf and
provided a well rounded show as far as I was
concerned.

I had many memorable times as I got questions and comments from not only the performers, but the folks who come out and support this fine event. The ride over and back with Jess Hurt and Doug Rolfe was an event in itself. Without Doug's navagation skills, I may have still been driving.

The Jam was a real kick, with Herby, John, Joe, and myself. Joe's a show in itself especially where I was sitting. Bob Brocius made me aware of the fact that the WWVA Jamboree show I played on was well heard in this area. He also said he had tapes of me playing at various times from the broadcast's...(I tried to buy em all up to keep from being too embarresed

I saw people I haven't seen in years...and as always, made many new friends. Thanks to all of you who took the time to email me and I'm trying to get back to each of you. Your messages mean a great deal to me..probably more then you could ever imagine...

Thanks to all of the players who provided such great back up. I got to hear Herby play some tunes I know he doesn't normally tackle, and that's a true confirmation of how great they play.

I'm looking forward to next year and all the other show's I'll be attending...
Jerry Brightman http://www.slidestation.com

[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 13 November 2001 at 12:09 PM.]

Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 1:17 pm    

Hi Howard,

When was the pic of Dick Meis taken? I've followed Dick since the early 70's but haven't seen him or his wife Lois for a while.

What a steeler! He actually started playing lead guitar when his wife was singing professionally and he at some point expanded to the steel. He been playing since dirt was invented and he sounds like it! A great steeler.

Leroy

HowardR

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 3:15 pm    

Leroy, the photo of Dick Meis was taken this past Saturday. He was the second performer to go on.

Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 3:47 pm    

Thanks to all for the kind comments, it was truly a fine event. Every performer gave 100% of their fine talent. The audience was one of the most appreciative ever. Our staff of volunteers outdid themselves. We are all a bit beat at this point. The wife and I got stuck at the Throgs Neck Bridge toll plaza at 11 am when all the bridges & tunnels back to New York were closed due to the plane crash on Monday morning. We finally got home at 4 pm.

The icing on the cake appeared when Jody Carver entered the room. It made my day. Perhaps next year he will play steel on the show???

Re: The PSGA banner. We have 3 banners. The biggest one may be outdated, but we only use it twice a year. Banners are expensive. We'll have a new one made up in 2003 for our 30th anniversary show.

HowardR

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 5:51 pm    

Bob Brocius

Lake Katrine, NY USA Don't blink, you'll miss it.!
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 7:08 pm    

The show was great. The two highlights for me was: 1. Seeing Jerry Brightman after so many years. He never knew how much he taught me from the tapes I made of WWVA way back when I was just starting. 2. Meeting John Hughey. Chris, (Tiny) Olson is a personal friend of mine and he & John have worked shows together. Chris came to the show with me and he introduced me to John. Not only is John a great picker, he is a super gentleman also. And of course, he plays a Zum. lol

------------------
Bobby Brocius, ZumSteel D-10, 8x8, Blue, BL910 PUs

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 2:12 pm    

I must say, again, thanks to all the exceptional players, we had at the show.The talent was absolutely, top notch.Thanks to everyone, who helped out seeing the show through. It was a flawless production. But, most of all. I want to thank all of you, who attended. Without you being there, there would be no show. Our brotherhood, and sisterhood, of steel players must stick together and support these endeavors. It's the only way we can survive and continue with these great shows.
Again, many thanks to all.
John De Maille V.P.-P.S.G.A.