The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tab for Loretta tracks? Greenhorn needs help.
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2001 8:43 am    

Hello all. I am playing this Loretta tribute here in NY this month, and have been trying desperately to figure out some of the kick-offs, breaks and solos, but I've hit the wall with a number of the songs. Anybody know of a resource for learning her material?
We're focusing on songs from "Honky Tonk Girl" to "The Pill." ('66 -'72) I'm too green to get some of those trills and crazy descending double stop sounding things that Hal and Lloyd played without some help. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. The show is on November 15th at Downtime in Manhattan if anyone wants to come and make me more nervous than I'll be already.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2001 1:23 pm    

Well I frequently jam along with Loretta´s older tunes (I guess most of it is Hal Rugg on steel) and never found them that difficult. It´s part of my basic steel "culture". I don´t really know how to explain it, Gerald. I just listen to the steel parts over and over again and try around and eventually I will get an idea where they must be on the neck. Mostly the pedal combinations are quite simple. Keep in mind that Hal didn´t lower his 4th string E to Eb (he used the 2nd string instead, as did Lloyd). Also, Hal had his 2nd string tuned to C# and raised it to D/Eb instead of lowering it, as it is mostly done. So, if you have a standard E9 set-up with a 2nd string lower, be prepared to engage that one a lot for certain licks.
I agree double-stops are a bit tricky.
When figuring them out, I try to "seperate" them in my head, that is, first listen only to the high notes and then only to the low ones, and then see how and where those two lines can be combined. Use a tape deck that can run on half speed for the fast stuff if you have to. Also remember not to play too much, Hal "laid out" a lot on those tunes.
I wish I could give you some more advice, but then I´m an ear player and don´t really know a whole lot about the theoretical stuff.
I almost envy you for the kind of gig you´re about to play - GOOD LUCK!!!
God bless Loretta,
Joe H.

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2001 10:21 am    

Hallo Joe:
herzlichen Dank fuer den Rat!! Es war sehr hilfreich; das Problem ist das ich spiele steel nur seit zwei Jahren. Wenn es eine schwierige Instrument auf der Welt gebe, ich weiss nicht was sie sein koennte. So, ich muss einfach fleissiger ueben. Viel Gluck und viel Spass mit Deiner Musik.

Dein Gerald

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2001 3:13 pm    

Gerald...thats easy for you to say...fred

Rainer Hackstaette

Bohmte, Germany
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2001 3:55 am    

... and it was easy for me to understand, too ...

------------------
Remington D 10 8/8, Sierra Crown D 10 gearless 8/8, Session 400 LTD

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2001 7:50 am    

There's steel parts for some LL hits tabbed over at Rebel and Ricky's http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Be sure to check out the other tabs in the years you are intrrested in. Chances are the licks are similar.

Good luck!

------------------

-j0e-
www.pedalsteel.tv