The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thank you Jeff Newman
Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 2:43 pm    

To me the best thing Jeff did was to take the steel into a lighted classroom and say listen you guys: Stop being so secretive and stabbing each other in the back. Do't just hang out in barrooms watching people.Make friends with everyone with whom you can and learn from them. After his seminars I met a lot of players I never would have had the chance to talk to. He brought the steel into the day to day world for all of us and that is worth a great deal...Pete

slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 3:25 pm    

I second everything everyone said.
"JUST JAMMIN" if you aint got it,get it.
Its a great learning experience.

Wayne

Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 3:51 pm    

DITTO to all that's been said!! My love for the steel has always exceeded any imagined abilities I might have. Jeff takes the mystery out and replaces it with "you can do it" and hard work. I attended his school in '82 and have a lot of his materiaL, much of which I still refer to. His latest effort UP FROM THE TOP only proves his dedication to finding yet more innovative and usable techniques. I am planning a private week with him during the coming year. 'nuff said...rc

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 6:22 pm    

I love Jeff and Fran so much, they were and are so nice to me...but...I am probably the worst flunky Jeff ever had. He beat me up for years....finally gave up, and has always said, 'look at this guy, don't do what he does, the only players I ever saw this work with is him and Doug Jernigan'. He finally gave up on technique with me, and concentrated on music. The beauty of his technique is, I do not play like him, or anyone else....he opened doors that would have been closed to me for years, just by showing me the approaches and techniques used by other players. For me, playing all the wrong techniques have made my life and career.....I'm glad he saw that I wasn't 'correctable' in my playing, and just pointed me down the road to success. He is a dear man....outspoken, yes, but will always be tight with me. peace....Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff Peterson on 19 October 2001 at 09:48 AM.]

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 1:36 am    

Where DOES he get them shiny boots?

------------------
ree-00-dee-doo

Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 7:32 am    

Oh well I'll chime in as well. Jeff's C6 and Swinging series reallt opened my eyes to a lot of the possibilities of the C6 neck that I never would have found in years, Absolutely first class!!

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 2:42 pm    

I can't say anything that hasn't been said but how about someone talking Jeff into coming on the forum once in a while? I realize he'd get all kinds of questions and that's the way he makes his living but if he had a computer I don't see how he could resist chiming in once in a while. It would be good for us and him I think. Jeff's the teacher of all teachers and would love the forum.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 2:50 pm    

Your crazy Frank! What a stupid idea! Keep Jeff off the forum! This guy will drive you nuts,THATS WHATS WRONG WITH ME!!
Marco Polo,

P.S. sorry guys, I though you ment Jeff Peterson,However------

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 22 October 2001 at 03:52 PM.]

Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 4:01 pm    

Jeff Newman is probaby one of the the most self disciplined individuals I've ever met. My guess is, with his openess and sense of humor, he'd probably enjoy nothing more than an occaisional romp through the forum visiting with his former students and friends. My sense is he's made the concious decision not to.

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 4:39 pm    

I'm another one. I can't find the words to describe his ability to teach. He and Fran are among the best people that I've ever had the priviledge to meet and call my friends.

Without Jeff and Fran we would all be many moons behind in the steel guitar world. You'd be surprised to know that some of the GREATS also seek Jeff's advise and knowledge.

PLUMB COUNTRY

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2001 8:52 am    

Jeff is the best. He's been every steelers friend for at least 30 years that I know about. His original C6 course taught me just about everything that I know about C6 (and that's not a lot). If you're trying to learn that neck, you'll save a lot of steps by playing through and analyzing that course. I don't know if it's still available, but it pops up on ebay sometimes. My favorite thing that Jeff used to do was to have 5 different brands of steels on stage. He'd go from one to the next and sound almost identical on every one, proving that it's the touch and not the axe (it's not the meat it's the motion, that makes your baby want to rock!).

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2001 9:07 am    

Having attended Jeff Newman's Seminars in St.Louis (1978), Yakima, Wa., and Portland, OR, I can truly say it was a most uplifting experience. After years of working as a professional musician, and not having had a teacher since about age 14, it was most enlightening to once again have someone to lead you thro' an "actual music lesson" without the usual trial and error methods on which so many of us have had to depend.
But more than the musical aspects of studying under Jeff....was the opportunity to meet a "true country gentleman", a man who not only has a zest for his music, but a man who truly enjoys sharing that knowledge and expertise with those of us less fortunate
Jeff doesn't know me from Adam....but I do feel that I know him (and Fran)..and both are such exceptional people that going to his Seminars is not only a valuable learning experience but a truly fun time, as well.
A leader, a teacher, a mentor; yes, but it's Jeff's superior human qualities that I found so overwhelmingly pleasant. His warm, SINCERE smile and congeniality are a definite contrast to those whom I grew up with when each and every hot lick was a secret; tunings were secret; and you had either to be a drunk or doper to be somebody.
Jeff and Fran......both rare and exceptionally fine people. Whether or not you particularly care for Jeff's style (so many wonderful pickers out there to choose from) or tone or other musical traits, you'd be hard pressed to attempt to discredit his major contribution to steel guitar.
Thanks to Jeff Newman and Fran; both have contributed in a major way, to the advance-ment of the steel guitar and have made our lives so much richer.

Colin Goss

St.Brelade, Island of Jersey, Channel Islands, UK
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2001 12:48 am    

The real point about Jeff is that he remains interested in all his students. About four years ago I was playing a set at the British Steel Guitar Festival at Newbury, Berkshire and when I started I saw Jeff at the back of the hall. Then he disappeared. I recall being disappointed that he hadn't stayed.

Where was he? He had come to the side of the stage and when I finished the first number, he was there applauding me! He remained there for my entire set.

Jeff you taught me a whole lot - I will always be grateful.

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 8:52 pm    

When I first started, I got the only stuff around-- Neil Flanz's Sho-bud Record, and Jeff's "Music to E9 By" and "Music to C6 By."
I still pull them out and listen and search out the pieces I'm hearing. It is GREAT STUFF.

And in 1975 When I approached Jeff with an idea of working together on a book, he told me to "do my thing." I thank him for the advice.

And, yes, the little I know about C6th I got from Jeff!

He and Fran are super special!

Winnie

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2001 5:56 am    

Well, Maybe he doesn't have a computer but the praise is still there for all to see !!