The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finally saw Gary Morse @ Yoakam Show - Seattle
Jay Kardong

Seattle, Washington
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2001 9:45 am    

WOW!! Dwight Yoakam just played in Seattle last night and I just about ripped my girlfriends arm off in excitement when I saw Gary Morse walk out! I didn't know he was playing on tour with Dwight. I’ve really been wanting to see him for a while now, so it was a neat surprise to see him on stage. What a great player and inspiration to novice players such as myself, I wanted to go home and practice steel all night long after the show!!! It was also nice to see the Seattle crowd appreciate him as well, they all loved his playing. I think I took more pictures of Mr. Morse than Dwight I was really hoping to meet him after the show, but security cleared everyone out (even though the front gate folks said the band would be out at a meet and greet after the show). Anyhow, if you get a chance to see Dwight on his current tour, don’t pass it up, it was a fun show with some very classic steel playing. And with the band playing 25 songs, you get lots of chances to hear some great steel!!

Jay

PS – is it a requirement for steel players to play multiple instruments? Mr. Morse played banjo, lap, pedal, guitar and a bit of tambourine in this show, and I recently saw BR549 where Don Herron played zillions of instruments as well. Just curious if I need to pick up a few more….

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2001 10:55 am    

Hey Jay:

Great news about the Dwight show. I'm thinking about checking him out when he's in San Francisco next week - it's $45/ticket which is alot of E9 string sets.

Just curious, I've listened to everything up until the last couple of albums, and I'm wondering how much older material a la "Guitars, Cadillacs" and "If There Were a Way" the band played, and how much Gap commercial stuff got played? I like 'em both, mind ye.

Pete Anderson is da MAN. Is Scott Joss still playing fiddle with Dwight?

FYI - I play a number of different instruments and find that it's just plain easier to get gigs the more versatile you are. Play the banjo, get gigs? hmmmmm.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Jay Kardong

Seattle, Washington
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2001 12:32 pm    

Hey Larry, yeah Scott Joss was playing fiddle, I can't even imagine him not being there. Pete was great too! For sure spend the cash and go..

They played some songs that I haven't heard since I first saw Dwight in 1988, so I was really happy at the mix of old with new. Heck, he did "I Sang Dixie" which I haven't heard live in years, it was great.

I can tell you exactly which songs were played because I wrote them all down so I could make a CD of the show songs for myself.

Here they are:
1. What Do You Know About Love
2. I Want You To Want Me
3. Guitars Cadillacs
4. Little Sister
5. Home for Sale
6. Tears for Two (new song)
7. The Sad Side Of Town
8. Little Ways
9. Love Caught Up To Me
10. I Sang Dixie
11. Please Please Baby
12. Ain’t That Lonely Yet
13. Only Hurts When I Cry
14. The Heartaches Are Free
15. A Place To Cry
16. What’s Left Of Me (new song)
17. The Darkest Hour (not sure of this song title)
18. Nothings Changed Here
19. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
20. 1000 Miles from Nowhere
21. Streets of Bakersfield
22. Honky Tonk Man
23. Fast As You
24. Johnson’s Love (solo)
25. Long White Cadillac

Jay

Birney Bull

Savannah, GA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2001 8:18 am    

Just to echo what was said above, Gary (and Dwight!) played here in Savannah two nights ago (didn't have a chance to log on yesterday) and it was great! As noted, this band really sounds GREAT!!! Just the right balance of twang, country, and rock: Gary on the mighty, meatty steel, Pete twanging out great lead licks, (former steel player!) Skip Edwards on the big Hammond B3 (a 1964 model, he said), and of course Dwight's great voice and stylings! WOW indeed!

The set list is still exactly as above, except he didn't play Johnson's Love as the first encore song -- just Long White Cadillac. But thanks for posting that, Jay! It was fun knowing what was coming next. I like writing down the songs at shows too, so you saved me a bunch of writing in the dark!

Also got to talk to Gary afterwards and he's a super guy! He fielded all my beginner type questions enthusiastically and helpfully, and he told some great stories about his time playing with Ricky Skaggs! One great one in particular was when he found out on his first night on the tour that Ricky's live renditions gradually got much faster than originally recorded. Highway 40 Blues, for example, had worked itself up to about twice its original tempo! Next night, he warmed up and practiced for about an hour before the show and nailed it, garnering a plea for applause from Ricky!

Thanks for chatting Gary! Hope ya'll enjoyed visiting Savannah!

[This message was edited by Birney Bull on 05 October 2001 at 09:27 AM.]

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2001 7:40 pm    

Ditto! to above posts. I saw Gary at Mystic Lake a couple months back but only because he'd had gotten my wife & I tickets (show was pretty much sold out) and also backstage passes. Very talented & get's to play a variety of instruments during the show! He's a great guy who took the time to show me his equip/rig and talk shop awhile. It sounds like the set list mentioned above was close to what was played when I saw him. I liked the new gospel song but wasn't familiar with it. I'll be looking for his newest album as I have ALL of them I think. Have always been a big fan of Dwight!

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2001 11:21 pm    

Darn, I didn't notice he was in town...

I would have loved to have caught that. Anybody here know that Skip Edwards is also a steel player (I know because he was on my sub list in 1980 in LA).

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Gary Morse

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2001 2:59 am    

WOW......thanks for all of the positive feedback guys!!!
This tour has been a thrill to be on, as were the two prior to this one. It's a rush every
night to perform with such a fine bunch of players. Imagine....actually getting PAID in this day and age to play hillbilly/honkytonk music! What a concept!!!
Dan Tyack mentioned that Skip Edwards is a steel player,as well. In fact, Skip used to play steel with the Flying Burrito Brothers after Sneeky Pete left. He still has his single neck Sho-Bud but he hasn't had many opportunities to play it in recent years.
Those of you who are familiar with Pete Anderson's guitar style might find it interesting to learn that he was also a steel player at one time and used to play an Emmons
"loafer." That certainly sheds light on his unique style.......
Hope to see and meet more Forumites at future shows!!!
Gary Morse