The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel teacher in nyc
James Winwood

New York, New York
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2001 1:06 pm    

Whats up guys. I was wondering if anyone knows or knows of any Steel guitar teachers in or around Nyc. We are talking jazz and jazz theory on the c6th. My college will pay for lessons and I would be able to you use my steel in ensemble, as my instrument of concentration. The guys and teachers in my jazz program are hip to it but say I need a teacher who plays steel. Any info or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2001 3:48 pm    

If I were you, I'd be looking up Mr. Jeff Lampert in Queens.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 4:57 am    

I am a friend of Jeff Lampert's, and a huge fan. If he would give you lessons, which he does not do at this time to my knowledge, you would be in very knowledgeable hands. Jazz on C6 is his specialty. You can obtain his email address from one of his posts here on the Forum.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 2:53 pm    

Another possibility...
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum4/HTML/001845.html

James Winwood

New York, New York
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 11:35 am    

Thanks for the suggestions. Jeff Lampert is in philly, too far for me to travel. I'm going to get in touch with Bob Hoffner and see what's happening there...With the size and jazz scene in Nyc you would think...there would at least be a couple of guys playing steel. Jazz on steel has sooooo much potential. All these jazz players I have been playing with are blown away when they here those lush c6th chords. It's just that it is such a specialized instrument that it exists in obscurity in the jazz world. I'd like to help change that someday...

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 11:41 am    

Are you sure Jeff Lampert is in Philly?? If so, he must have just moved here from Queens. If there's another jazz steel player in Philly, I'd sure like to know about it! Jeff's profile on the Forum still says he's from Queens. Maybe you want to double-check?

------------------
www.jimcohen.com

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 12:14 pm    

Hey Jim!! I hear Jeff's movin to Philly' and he's gunnin' for ya!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 12:34 pm    

Well, when he gets here I'll just have to tell him the truth: this town really AIN'T big enough for the both of us!

------------------
www.jimcohen.com

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 1:59 pm    

Guys, guys, I am not living in Philadelphia nor am I moving to Philadelphia. I have no idea who is saying this. I live in Queens, New York City, and have done so for the past 45 years. All you guys are welcome to stop by my house if you're in the area. We'll trade some scales and go get some Chinese buffet. I'm treating, of course!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 3:25 pm    

Oh yeah, Jeff? Whatsamattah? Philly ain't good enough for ya? Come on over here and I'll buy YOU Italian food, okay?

(are we outta hand yet?)

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 4:34 pm    

JEFF LAMPERT - I Need your e-mail address, the one you gave me over a year ago was deleted by mistake.

JEFF, I'll take you up on your offer when I visit Queens ( I'm from College Point & Flushing).

Jeff, it's very strange we never met or heard of each other. I now know most of the steel players from Queens, L.I., Westchester, Bronx, Brooklyn, the subway etc.

When I lived in Queens I belonged to the P.S.G.A. I was an active member and most of the guys I knew in the Association where all from Long Island. From 1975 to about 1989 I knew of no steel players in Queens. Then slowly I started to met other musicians and they got me connected to steel player. In all those year I finally, in 1989 met THREE steel players from Queens all within 7 miles of my house. Yes I did frequent most of the C&W clubs in the entire NYC area including L.I. and all I met where players from outside the area.

Jeff and all you steel players in "Pedal Pushing Land" if you are ever in the Ft Lauderdale area give me a call or an e-mail, your all invited over and leave your steels at home, I have, four D-10s, three of which are almost new and one Emmons P/P, lots of amps too. Big refrig with lots of chow. Kids & wife, no problem, lots of malls in the area, my wife's an expert in this area.

E-MAIL ADDDRESS: kjkzip@bellsouth.net
KEN

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 04 October 2001 at 05:35 PM.]

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 6:31 pm    

I got my ticket, and I'm hungry.