The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Learning, mistakes, and the pedal steel guitar
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2001 8:19 am    

Bill F,

I have heard that when one practices or attempts to learn something, one should only do so for some limited period of time (I don't recall how long) than take maybe 4 hours of rest. The info sinks in better that way than continuing on with unbroken lessons or practice. Maybe what you're experience is a longer versions of that?

Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2001 10:47 am    

Bill L

Probly so. I will drill it for a few weeks then lay off for a week. Daily tho, I will hit it for 30 mins to 2 hrs with breaks.

I guess with more space between I can see the advancement. Also, I ALWAYS return with more confidence.

------------------
Bill Fulbright
1998 Sierra U12 7x5; Gibson ES-165; Peavey 50-410
ICQ# 2251620 Bill's Launch Pad

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2001 4:04 pm    

Anyone not making a mistake is happy to be playing at their "present level". To try and reach beyond that level, one has to try something beyond what they "think" they are capable of. When that is reached-----go for the next level. FRUSTRATING but effective.

Len Ryder

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2001 4:16 pm    

I guess I'm somewhat philosophic about the whole concept of "mistakes". Look at it this way...
Quote:
Mistakes are merely the errors, or slips, one makes when copying from something, or someone else.

Viewed from the point of originality, there are no mistakes. When something turns out different than you had anticipated...that's not really a mistake. It's a discovery!

slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2001 4:58 pm    

Bill L,
I cant speak for Maurice Anderson about
"perfect practice"but this is what i think he meant.Be consistent when you practice.Sit behind your guitar the same way every time,
hold the bar the same way,pick the strings the same way,left foot placement,volume pedal placement,seating height are all very
important.You should be able to concentrate on the music,not the mechanics.Be consistent
every every time you sit down with your guitar,even if its only for a few minutes.
You cant have "perfect practice"if you sit down in a different position each time you practice.Your pedals,knee levers,volume pedal,left hand,right hand are all out of position.Your brain is saying,why could i do this yesterday but cant do it today?Be consistent in the way you practice and you will be rewarded.Just my opinion,i know what they say about opinions.

Wayne

Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2001 6:33 am    

a mistake is simply the indication that you are willing to try. try something you want to succeed at and keep trying (making mistakes) until you get it right.

how many home runs did Babe Ruth hit? How many times did he strike out?

mistakes are valuable opportunities to keep learning!