The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ways in which "unseasoned" steelers can fall flat on their f
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 1:43 am    

In response to the original topic: Ways in which "unseasoned" steelers can fall flat on their face:
1) Start the turnaround in the wrong key.
2) Press the completely wrong pedal, (continually.)
3) Play way too quiet, (or too loud.)
4) In the middle of a solo - gets the finger picks caught in the strings.
5) While tuning - turn the wrong tuner and snap a string.
6) Looses control of volume pedal foot, turning sound into a tremelo.
7) Adjusts an effect just before the solo. Causing WAY TOO MUCH effect. (Pick one or more: reverb, delay, distortion, compressor, etc...)
Cool (Along with #7) Turn on the wrong effect for the solo. (Crazy Arms doesn't need distortion.)
9) Get the tip of shoe/boot caught in between the pedal rods.
10) Press footswitch right by the volume pedal and turn off the volume pedal with toe in the middle of the solo.
11) (Goes hand in hand with #5) Using a winder to change a string and wind it "really fast" the wrong way, snapping the string.
These all can happen from time to time. (At least they have to me in the last 27 years.) If I think some more about it, I can probably add another batch of them, too.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 12:30 am    

Ernie...you forgot to mention leaving your bar, picks or volume pedal,etc at home or at the motel...(30 miles away,in my case) & Sometimes, just showing up for a gig can set all of the rest into motion .....shes a harsh mistress....

[This message was edited by Mike Cass on 22 September 2001 at 01:38 AM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 3:05 am    

Bingo, Mike.......all set-up at an Air Force Base in Texas and ready to tune....my little red case with bar & picks laying on the floor at an Air Force Base in Oklahoma! www.genejones.com

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 3:41 am    

Have a check-list of equipment that you require for gigs, and tick them off as you load the trailer. That way, hopefully, you will be fully equipped when you arrive at your gig.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 3:42 am    

Mike;
"Harsh" is the right word and "Mistress" is, too!

I realize I also forgot:
12) Taking your hand off the bar and having it roll away. (We had one place we worked at a lot and the floor leaned just ever so slightly to one side. While we were there, if I was going to change to lead guitar, stupid me, I got in the habit of just letting go of the bar and it would roll harmlessly into the headstock and beautifully stop right where I would have put it. I remember one of the weeks after we played there. I let go of the bar and it rolled right up, over the changer, off the end of the guitar, bounced off the top of my Echo-Plex and onto the floor. BTW:The bar was un-harmed.)

13) After you make a mistake, don't try to be funny. Just smile and carry on.
{I remember one night playing and making an obvious mistake, (combination #'s 1 and 3.) I was, of course, going to make light of my mistake. The guitar player looked over and using my right hand I slapped the other hand. What I was going to say was, "Hey, you work for me!" However, I knocked the bar completely out of my hand and across the stage. I would pay big money for a video of me crawling across the stage trying to find it. Would be hilarious! (For you road warriors: It was at Poor Richard's in Columbus, Nebraska.)}

"When I think of the past... it brings back so many memories" - Steven Wright.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 22 September 2001 at 04:48 AM.]

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2001 7:47 pm    

There are no WRONG notes. Just right notes placed in the wrong place, and I am an expert at this technique. Speaking of goof ups on the way to the job, Bobby Boydd who used to play with Hank Thompson told me that one night he placed his pedal bar on top of his pickup (camper shell), loaded his Sho-Bud in the bed of the truck. He shut the camper shell, forgot about the pedal bar and took off for work. He then noticed the pedal bar missing. He back tracked the highway for several miles and eventually found it in the ditch by the side of the road. Apparently several big rig trucks had run over it, broke the pedals and totally ruined the pedal bar. He said he never had a harder time playing all night with only knee levers for pedals. He also stated it is amazing how much straight steel he had forgotten.