The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  shocked!!!
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 4:32 am    

This has to go of my back.
I'm a America lover, and am very solidair with the USA and feel very sad about what is happened by terrorists. I hope we will get the people who did this, and bring them to trial, and let them suffer for what they did.
Hope you understand that.
I believe in a free world where we all can speak and live our live, and let live.
What shockes me? When we speak about what steelguitar sounds better or how to replace a string, everybody has something to say, I mean the most of us.
I looked at the thread that Bob closed :
" New Yorkers OK? "
I followed the link that Andre Sommer pointed at the oftopic board, and was shocked by what I read, a lot of real racists crap. But what chocked me more?
My counter says there were more than 100 hits, after the time Andre posted the link, so it must be a big part from readers from this forum, BUT NO ONE REPLIES!!
Why, afraid to speak up against racisme?
No disagrees?
Or what? No time to reply, çause we are to bussy talking about a 0.11 string?
Guys , we are talking about living in this world together here!!
I say: hang those terrorists, after we got the right guys, but don't judge innocent people , because they look " like they could be one"
very angree, and disappointed, Johan

editing<
tried to reply in that box, doesn't work,so please let us say here what we think of it!
The link is:
http://pub26.ezboard.com/fofftopic44665frm1.showMessage?topicID=859.topic
Thanks, Johan

[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 21 September 2001 at 05:50 AM.]

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 4:48 am    

I figure I'd better get this answer in before this thread gets closed.

You are 100% correct. That racist thread is ridiculous and embarrassing.

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 5:18 am    

Why has no-one replied?
Probably because we can't be bothered to register for the OT forum. And because most of the time, it is pointless trying to discuss/argue rationally with anyone on there. (I say "most of the time" - there are intelligent discussions to be found there as well... Look for some of the names you respect on *this* forum...e.g. BL, HS...)
And actually, I think that thread is quite mild, compared to some on there...
Nick

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 5:39 am    

I did not reply because I have already stated my views several times on this matter on other threads........ As far as OT is concerned, I do not read or post there. www.genejones.com

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 6:37 am    

Johan: I too found myself saturated with all the bad news and events. I was becoming smothered by it all and surely didn't need anymore. Not replying shouldn't infer that we agree or accept a point of view. We simply may not want to give it any form of credibility. Perhaps it is best summed up by that famous quote: "Sir, I will not dignify you position with a reply ! "

Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 21 September 2001 at 07:37 AM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 6:58 am    

You're absolutely correct, Johan. However,
as someone who doesn't frequent the OTB much I suspect, you might not have noticed that perhaps the loudest response to the types of ridiculous threads of this type is the general NONRESPONSE from the vast majority of other OTB participants. Rather than express outrage, as you do here, I think most folks just don't give it any juice - they don't even buy into it.

I know the gentleman who started that thread in question, and while I personally find his comments to be reprehensible, I always felt that this guy was a 'reasonable' human being, and not some monster. My guess is that he let his emotions get the better of him for the monment.

What I DO find more disturbing, however, is the reappearance of a 'close-the-border, circle-the-wagons, the Commies-are-gonna-overthrough-the-government' -type of mentality that was once more pervasive over on OTB. There are a couple of survivalist/White Supremecist types (a loose label, but the sentiment has been expressed plenty of times) that are now re-emerging and continuing to spew trash from 'espionage/terrorism/security websites offering their own brand of "political analysis". And I'm sure you can imagine what kind of incendiary 'political analysis' (crap) comes from this kind of website. I should say that this extreme kind of extremism is far from the prevailing mentality over on the OTB, but it does rear its ugly head in a very few individuals. I find that mentality to be by far the most divisive and harmful, not just with respect to last week's events, but in general as well.

Again, you may not notice, but I think that most folks just don't give this kind of stuff any weight, and it is this very nonresponse that I find to be very telling....

Paul snuck his post (above) in as I was writing mine, but he is right on target when he said:
Quote:
Perhaps it is best summed up by that famous quote: "Sir, I will not dignify you position with a reply ! "

Thank-you, Paul.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 21 September 2001 at 08:01 AM.]

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 7:13 am    

Steve , I guess you are right, I freaked out when I noticed what I said above.
So This is what I say:

STEELERS AGAINST RACISM!!

right?
Thanks for reading and replying, Johan

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2001 7:36 am    

Off Topic is no longer a part of the Steel Guitar Forum. I moved it because I didn't want to police it. If I had simply deleted it, people would have posted that stuff in Bar Chatter (in violation of Forum rules).

Having said that, I'm taking a pro-active stance by moving this topic before it gets inflammatory. It has a potential (unintended, I'm sure) to polarize our readership.

I'm against racism, but that's not what the Steel Guitar Forum is about. We gather here as steelers. That may be the only thing that some of us have in common, but it's enough to bring us together.

------------------

-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator