The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Let's Be Realistic About a Steel Guitar HOF Building
Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 2:27 pm    

My idea would be to somehow have a room at the Opry for this steel guitar museum. Perhaps we could start out by using Tommy White's dressing room!

Seriously, the people who visit the Opry are the ones who would most likely visit such a museum even though they do not play steel guitar.

It will probably never happen, but I like the chances of this idea drawing non-musicians over most of the others and having it at the Opry would mean that people would probably go to see it more than once in their lifetime.

Regardless, I think such a museum belongs in Nashville for obvious reasons.

Frank

------------------
1978 Rosewood Emmons Push-Pull D-10 8+4

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 2:41 pm    

Quote:
If we could ever get a small room in the Country Music HOF, that might just have to do. That's the only practical suggestion I see here
as unpopular as it might be to some, this would expose the steel guitar, and the members of the SGHOF, to a much wider audience. I would assume there would be more lay people visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame, than would be visiting the SGHOF. It just might make some young visitor from Winnemuca want to learn how to play a steel guitar. Just my opinion.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 3:44 pm    

Jim, have you ever attended a SGHOF benefit show? I'm sure they make enough money to keep the HOF alive, but not much more.

Tom Bradshaw is the only board member who has posted in this topic, but I don't think his post was intended to be as a "spokes person for the ISGHOF" (where did that "I" in "ISGHOF" come from, anyway?). Tom's post was simply informative, as I read it.

Maybe they could rent a room in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E7, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 3:57 pm    

Jim :We had several discussions at our meetings and I repeat what I told you personally, there is no need to always be the bearer of negativity and challenge. I read most of your post and sometimes I find points of agreement but I still await a solid post of positive thoughts from you and your blending in with the Forums reason and existance. It is Ok to voice ones opinion as long as others who have different opinions are allowed the same respect. JMHO?

Randy Reams

Wellington, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2001 3:48 am    

A Steel Guitar Hall of Fame "Web Page"
for now would be nice.
We could have pictures, streaming audio ect... What do you think?

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2001 7:06 am    

Click here for the SGHOF web page.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2001 10:43 am    

I'd like to know when this statute was added to the by-laws. I don't recall it being there a few years ago.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Also considered are any acts or omissions by a nominee that would negatively reflect on the prestige of past and future inductees, or be contrary to the goals of the corporate charter."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2001 4:42 am    

ok, well if not the Smithsonian... how about a (possibly) more "self-sustaining" HOF concept...

something like a Hard Rock Cafe' or House of Blues style theme restaurant with Steels and records and stuff hanging off the wall... chicken fried steak, "Bar Slammer Martinis (tm)" continuous recorded steel guitar music, and regularly scheduled live performances by the greats.

just fantasizing to take my mind off the national tragedy.

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2001 1:20 pm    

"House of Steel" - I like it.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E7, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

TomP

Encino Ca
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2001 4:41 pm    

Smiley-That statute was brought to my attention in a private reply to a post of mine on a topic about a steeler often mentioned and never inducted. Some people, apparently, are dedicated to keeping the HOF membership pure and upstanding in every way, and they should be comended for this. Thank God, Hank Williams or Charlie Parker didn't play steel. Is it new? Was it added to keep out the unclean? Who knows? Who cares? It's their football, let them play with it.
As for the building, if they don't connect it to an attraction like the CMHOF, they will not get enough visitors to pay the water bill. If they try to solicit money for this venture they stand a chance of being accused of violating their new statute.

------------------
-Tom www.tompowell.org

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2001 5:22 pm    

retcop88, what exactly is is that you have contributed to the Steel Guitar Community?
How did you become such an authority on whatever it is you are constantly on about?

I know about your law enforcement career, but what else is it that you have to offer as any sort of spokesperson?

Please... ?

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2001 6:33 pm    

Smiley...that is a good one. That should keep just about everyone out of the Hall of Fame. Including the people already in there. Some guy one time once said, "let you with out sin cast the first stone". I can't remember who that guy was. He must have been very wise.(LOL). Is this a Hall of fame for steel guitar or personal behavior. I may not agree with a mans behavior but I might think he is a great steel player. If its not about the music it just becomes another club. Maybe this is an example of of makeing up the rules as we go. You know politics of personal destruction. We can't have some bad guy in tha hall of fame no matter how great he is on the steel guitar. The general public may look down on us, or something. Beam me up Scotty.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 7:18 am    

Jim, that was probably a better answer than I deserved.
I just feel that certain topics and opinions have been well made and it's sort of going in non-productive circles.
I could be wrong, but I feel a certain sense of repitition?

TomP

Encino Ca
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 3:57 pm    

A realistic idea (quite a stretch for me) might be to take any donations and bequeathed moneys and set up a scholarship program at some university, for steel and steel related musical subjects. This would probably entail approaching a school with a solid jazz dept. (Kenny Burrell directs one at UCLA, for instance-he should shirley dig steel's contributions and potential). This seems a little better use for the money than building a HOF stucture somewhere so us old fogey's could come and drool on the exhibits.

------------------
-Tom www.tompowell.org

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 6:33 pm    

Smiley, there was nothing on the site "years ago," so nothing has been changed. What you read on the site reflects the criteria by which the nominating board has functioned for several years, but the site was only created within the past year for information purposes to interested parties and has not been changed. The board does not take under consideration nor make decisions based on matters of personal lifestyle (e.g., alcohol abuse, drug abuse, personal morality, failure to pay alimony or child support, bad credit, etc., etc.) Consideration is given to contributions to the advancement of the steel guitar, including verfiable business dealings with the steel guitar community, positive or negative. Beyond clearing up the matter you raised, I have nothing further to say, because I have posted numerous entries regarding the SGHOF in the past (which anyone interested can do a search on)and have found it to be a fruitless exercise and a lightning rod for abuse.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 8:01 am    

Who is this "Louise Hallford" anyway? Does she play steel?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 10:33 am    

I see this thread deteriorating to several previous threads on the HOF board and it's criteria, not the current one "A HOF building".

Maybe this thread has run it's course??