The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Historian Special!
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2001 12:17 pm    

WHO CAME FIRST? Grady Martin or Hank Garland? What years did each serve on the Opry with Red Foley? Anyone know?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2001 4:31 pm    

Wow...that's a tight call, Ray! Grady was born in '29, and Hank in 1930. They both were kinda introduced to fame with Foley. Hank played on Red's "Sugarfoor Rag" in 1950, but Grady played on "Chattanooga Shoe Shine Boy. BOTH records came out in 1950, and I can't swear which was first. (Though I would guess C.S.S.B.) Both players started their careers about 1944-45, too. It was Grady that taught Hag to play guitar, and Grady was far more "commercial country" than Hank...who was more a really a good jazz player.

Oh well, I just flipped a coin...it was definitely Grady!!!

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 02 September 2001 at 05:32 PM.]

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2001 5:11 pm    

In the late 1940s the band of Cowboy Copas
included guitarist Hank Garland, who not only began recording on King Records sides by Copas, but in 1949 recorded his own solo sessions in August, 25, 1949, as well as played on sides by Autry Inman and Red Foley among others.
Garland's 'Sugarfoot Rag' one of the four solo tunes that he recorded in August, was re-recorded by Red Foley with added lyrics in September, it became a Nummer #5 country hit.

Grady Martin and fellow guitarist Jabbo Arlington had become a hot session team after joining forces in Paul Howard's band in the 1940s. They added electric Western Swing styled guitar to sides by Curly Fox & Texas Ruby Owens in Chicago in 1946, but it was their tenure with Jimmy Dickens new group the Country Boys that formed in 1949. This group coincided with the rise of the local recording scene and that year the duo began playing on local sessions.

Pesonally, I'd call it a draw.... but I'm sure someone has the definative answer.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2001 9:41 pm    

Hank was the first to work in Paul Howard's band. Grady followed almost two years later, in 1947.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 10:00 am    

Thanx muchly for your factual input!! I can't believe how many details you consistantly come up with, even when it's a fairly obscure topic. Simply amazing! Thank you! This will go into my record library historical literature file.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 10:37 am    

Ray,,,,as I told you,,,,,Jason Odd knows most
all there is to know. You saw my comments in your alternate post re your question.

This guy Jason scares me,,he is really on the ball,,,,I'll bet he knows where OJ's knife is,,,I heard that he reads palms as well. Glad he dont work for the IRS,,,or Secret Service......"Jason this is meant to be complimentary and nothing else".....Ray
I hope you get your man.

Jimmie Misenheimer

Bloomington, Indiana - U. S. A.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 3:50 pm    

Hi all... Just a bit of "trivia" about this post. In my EARLY days, before steel guitar, I played guitar, and I worked at it VERY HARD!! Seven miles to the West of my home town, Bloomington, In., in the small town of Ellettsville, there was a GREAT standard guitar player named Dave Morgan, now 11/2 years deceased.
Dave was from N-ville, Tn., and many times in my following him around and copping E.T., Jimmy Dickens, and Bob Wills licks, he often told me of a farm family that he grew up living next to on the banks of the Cumberland River, (at least until W.W.2. turned him into a "2nd/class Gunners Mate) named Arrington.
MANY times he told me about how all of the kids in the family played, but there was one of the boys that was absolutly a "knockout" that was nicknamed "Jabbo".
I have ALWAYS been "wired" into Rhodes, and Garland, ETC. The next time that I ever heard anyone speak of "Jabbo", it was in a printed interview of Chet. Now I was REALLY starting to pay attention!!
One thing though - I asked Dave once about "Jabbos" first name. Although I read once (just recently) that it was Robert, he told me, with no "fore-thought", that it was "Clifford".
Sorry - rambling again. Might be too much "happy-water". What I started to tell you-all who have heard, "or heard of" him is that the hot lead work was done with a left hand that was missing a part of the index finger at the knuckle. Yeaaa, I know about D. Rheinhardt - hell, they ALL amaze me!!!

32, and a "Shriner"
Jimmie Misenheimer

Walter Haynes

Bullard.Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 4:38 pm    

My first job at the Opry was with Paul Howard and the Cotten Pickers. Jabbo was the guitar player and I was the fiddle player. After being around Dale Potter and Tommy jackson I dicided to take up steel. After 2 years in the army I went to work with Jimmy Dickens playing steel, so glad I did!!!!Walter Haynes

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 4:38 pm    

Heh, actually a nice forumite was kind enough to email me and point out my typo, it's Arrington, not Arlington!

Donny, you've got it man, Hank!

Vern Kendrick

Earth
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 4:50 pm    

I thought it was Arrington,not Arlington

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 7:31 pm    

This is a good topic for the Music forum. I'm moving it there.