The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More on Gene O'Neal... Please
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 4:05 pm    

Wondering if it was Gene that played on Pride's "All I Have To Offer You", "Kiss an Angel Good Morning", "Is Anyone Going to San Antone", "Place For the Lonesome", to name a few. That was during the time he was with Charley. Thanks.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 4:23 pm    

I believe that Lloyd Green did all of Charlie Pride's sessions. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 4:43 pm    

Yes , these sessions were Lloyd. Gene did some sessions with Charlie in late 68 and 69. I don't know what songs were recorded during these "O'Neal" sessions though.These were cut at RCA "B"---
Bobbe

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 6:24 pm    

It was Gene O'Neal on "Kiss An Angel Good Morning" also he and Lloyd Green are credited with "I wonder Could I Live There Anymore"

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 31 August 2001 at 07:26 PM.]

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 8:24 pm    

I believe it was Lloyd on both Kiss an Angel & Wonder Could I live there! Bobbe ! You must know! I think they were cut before Gene came in to the picture?

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 8:48 pm    

Larry, Gene was possibly on the album, but he definatly was not on "Kiss an Angel Goodmorning". I'll call Lloyd when I get back from St. Louis if you wish.It took several sessions to make an album and at times,Lloyd couldn't make tham all.As I remember from Lloyd and Gene there was a funny story about Charlie insisting that Gene be on some of the album, I'll dig this story up also!
Thanks Larry. Your making me think.
Bobbe

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 8:51 pm    

"All I Ever Have to Offer You Is Me" was Lloyd also. Don't know about the other song you mentioned. (yet).
Kipperlipps the Historian.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 9:03 pm    

By the way men,I sat in on several of these Charley Pride sessions and if anyone cares to know, Lloyd played his 1966 double neck Sho-Bud, fingertip,(now owned by Gary Boyd in Texas). His amp was a Fender Twin with one 15' JBL speaker, Sho-Bud (big)volume pedal. I now want to thank Lloyd for inviting me as I was new to town and he took it upon himself to "show me the ropes". I didn't realize I was witnessing history in the making. Or that in the future I'd be right there at RCA "B" making history myself. (As did Hal, Stu,Weldon,Pete,etc.)
Thanks Lloyd---
Bobbe

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 10:57 pm    

I drove down from South Bend to Nashville in 1972 to pick up a Sho~Bud that I had ordered, my first steel guitar. I was directed to the top floor, the shop, where my steel was set up awaiting final tweaking by one of the Jacksons, I forget which one,(who, BTW, advised me to stay away from Deemens Den and some of the other clubs on Lower Broad, as they were a bad influence).

Some guy wandered in, never said a word, and sat down at my steel and ripped off about 5 minutes of incredible jazz-sounding C6th stuff. I was aghast at this type of playing; I had heard only commercial E9th at this point. When he was done he disappeared downstairs and I inquired who this individual might be. It was Gene O'Neal, CP's steel player. Boy, was I impressed.

Little did I realize that years later this same guy would be calling me to sub for him and that I would be playing gigs in that same building, which is now Robert's.

Johnny Cox, still a teenager, was also there that day, and he took a break from sweeping floors and played some gorgeous E9th ballads on my new steel.

I went to Deemens Den that night anyway, didn't get a disease or turn into an alcoholic or a speed-head, listened to George Edwards, and went back home realizing I had a helluvalot of work ahead of me.

C#

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2001 6:16 am    

Mike Sweeney
posted 22 September 2000 01:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff, You are right on your information except for "Kiss an Angel Good Morning". The steel player on that particular record was the late Gene O'Neal. Lloyd did play on a bunch of Charlie Pride records but not that one. But you are right in saying that Sonny Garrish wasn't the only game in town. Although he did some fine things during that time Sonny hadn't hit his stride yet. The '70's still belonged to Lloyd,Pete,Weldon,and Hal. I'm a big fan of Sonny and love his playing but he hit his full stride in the early
THIS POST WAS FOUND IN THE OLD BAR CHATTER[url]Who was the steeler on Pride's Original Recording Crystal Chandeliers? [/url]For your reference Please check this thread out, also on RCA CD Country Legends the session data list Gene O'neal as the steel guitarist on "Kiss An Angel Good Morning" and "I Wonder Could I Live Here Anymore" it also lists Lloyd Green on "I Wonder Could I live Here Anymore" could they have been playing together at the same time?
------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 01 September 2001 at 07:18 AM.]

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 01 September 2001 at 03:35 PM.]

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 01 September 2001 at 03:39 PM.]

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2001 2:42 pm    

Please check out MUSIC do a search for Gene O'Neal click on thread titled Who was the steeler on Pride's Original Recording Crystal Chandeliers? Thank you Larry Miller

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 7:12 am    

I posted Three times that Gene and Lloyd were on some of the same sessions at the same time but the posts never showed upon the forum. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Bobbe

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 7:59 am    

Bobbe, I never had that problem, all my posts were successful. Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 4:43 pm    

Bobbe, I've had that problem a couple of times in the past, I assume it's just a server connection problem between providers.
Or just a bad day, if it continues I would email b0b and detail what happened.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 6:31 pm    

Thankyou Jason,I'm finding a lot of respect for ALL your posts! You seem to know your stuff buddy!