The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robert Randolph and "The Word"
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 8:32 pm    

Let me urge the really open minded and adventurous forumites (you know who you are) to check out the new CD; "The Word", featuring mind-boggling sacred (pedal) steeler Robert Randolph. It's a joint effort with "The North Mississippi Allstars" and ace keyboardist John Medeski and finally shows Robert Randolph off on record. If you haven't heard of him yet, he's got people talking in the most unlikely places about the pedal steel,and for good reason, he's one of the most brilliant "non-country" pedal steel players I've ever heard, incorporating lots of different styles in a whole new way; blues, rock, gospel, whatever... He might possibly be the one to take the instrument to new places; both musically, and in the public's perception of what it can do, as it seems possible he might reach a large audience... The record is kind of inconsistent, but the good moments are incredible... And don't miss him live if you get a chance to see him.

all my humble opinion, of course!

[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 29 August 2001 at 09:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 29 August 2001 at 09:39 PM.]

[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 29 August 2001 at 09:40 PM.]

[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 29 August 2001 at 11:08 PM.]

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 8:35 pm    

Check out Robert's website if you're curious...
http://robertrandolph.net/main/in2.htm

[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 29 August 2001 at 09:41 PM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 12:47 am    

It looks like Robert is coming on in a real big way. Robert is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Sacred Steel players. There are quite a few teenagers coming up in that style of playing that are already amazing players.

Pete, You gotta check out the Sacred Steel Live at the convention CD. Robert and a bunch of other players are on it. It is a fantastic overall CD.

For you Sacred Steel players reading this,
Pete Finney is the real deal when it comes to Nashville steel players. He has been making a good living for a long time as a top Nashville road and studio player.

Robert Randolph, You should talk to Pete about how to survive out there ! I've seen your scedual and it looks brutal.

Bob

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 7:54 am    

I bought the CD, and my only complaint is that its not long enough! I know they don't call it "rock", but it's one of the best examples of rock pedal steel I've ever heard.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 8:10 am    

quote:
making a good living for a long time as a top Nashville road and studio player.

hey Pete- is it a "good living" or just a living?

Pete is my "stand in" on sundry Last Train Home gigs, and one of my favorite nights recently we played tag team steel...

but to get back on topic... RaNdOlPh RuLeZ!!

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 8:21 am    

I'd been away from the forum for a while, and didn't realize how much had already been written on RR... I did a search on the topic before I posted, but on "Pedal steel", not "players". So... I just went and read that whole long thread and obviously I'm not bringing much new to the subject. I wasn't aware of all the "hype", I happened to hear Robert live unexpectedly a few months ago in Austin (while waiting for Ike Turner to perform!). I'd never heard of him, though I had heard several of the other sacred steelers, and he just absolutley floored me... Could he play as clean and pretty as a Buddy Emmons or a Lloyd Green? No, but that's already been done to perfection; he does something completely different with originality and authority. And as young as he is who knows where he might take it.

I might add that anyone who's ever performed on T.V. knows not to judge someone based on one 3 minute performance, under the least relaxing conditions possible!

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 8:29 am    

Dave, to answer your question: it used to be a good living, now it's just a living! That of course is a whole other topic, one I'd rather discuss with you over a cold adult beverage next time I see you! Smile