The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  the "Happy Steel Guitar" album
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 11:08 pm    

This was released in Europe in the late 60's early 70's. Who was/IS the "HAPPY STEEL GUITARIST"?

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 12:25 am    

[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 08 August 2001 at 02:45 AM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 1:25 am    

Mike;
I heard it was Bobbe Seymour. Maybe Bobbe can confirm it.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 8:57 am    

Ernie is correct!!!! Bobbeye Sizemour is the famous "Happy Steel Guitarist". Who played the fills on the album?

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 11:35 am    

Yup ! Yup !! Yup !!!

He Da Man !!

Ron Hiler

Sandford Mi USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 12:47 pm    

Hey! I've had the Happy Steel Guitar on 8 track since 1976, or 77, sure would like to get a cassete or CD, how about it Bobbe?

[This message was edited by Ron Hiler on 08 August 2001 at 01:48 PM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 1:27 pm    

How 'bout forgetting 'bout this whole embarrassing thing! Mike , your gonna' dig up my complete horrible past arn't you!Remember, I was only 16 years old in 1976 when this stupid , ridiculous session was done. I had been married 4 times by then I think.I was also very drunk and it was my first time to be so. (It lasted a year!)I also think I was in the forth grade,(third time). I also think I was out on work release and this put a cramp in my style. Then to top the whole thing off GRT picked up the album and put it out world wide and it sold over half a million records total.Yes, world wide, more than Pete Drake and second to "Santo and Johnnys" Sleep walk? Go figure, I totally refused to let them put my name on the album, I threatend a lawsuit if they did, I really think it's HORRIBLE! I just took the money and ran.(a new Rolls Royce,I think is where the money went, I cut it down and made a pickup truck out of it) Why am I talking about it now if I hated it so bad? Because I have several good CD's and tapes to rejuvenate my reputation now and besides, hardly anyone remembers that GRT album anyway.I wish Tom Bradshaw would burn what he has left! Maybe some one will send them to Buddy Emmons, he can cut them in half and send them to one of my ex-wives! Now, I guess I put an end to this post,I'm good at that! Any questions?
Bobbe,The guy with the sorded past!
SEYMOUR

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 2:25 pm    

Come on, Bobbe! You're old like me, and when we were 16, there were no electric steel guitars, (they were all kerosene!)

P.S. I've got one, and it's as good a M.O.R. steel album as anyone's ever done.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 6:41 pm    

Donny, Mine was a coal model,I know , because everyone said "if that thing was wood I'd burn it"! I think someone ended up burning it too!No, actually, I broke into a guys car one nite and left it!(went back the next day and there were three more just like it in there.)Quite a guitar,Balsa wood push pull .
Bobbe

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 6:59 pm    

Hey Mike! What was your first album? How many years ago was that? How proud are you of that album? C'mon, fess up. What? You're not recorded? Hmmmm.......

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 7:50 am    

Bobbe; Part of the character of that album was that we didn't know who it was !! It was a big question. Who is this guy ? Where is he from ? How did he learn all this ? I bought three of those albums over the years and they have all been lost giving them to other folks, saying; Here, listen to this !! And I've never regretted loosing them because I knew if they wanted to keep them, there had to be something good on there.

And the result was: If he can, so can I !

It's the same difference between a jukebox and a live band. The machine doesn't make any mistakes, the band does and that is what makes them LIVE ! And that is what the crowd wants, real LIVE music.

And that is what your efforts were. We could all identify with them. It was just like the rest of us, doing the best we can.

I commend you for that and just like you said about David Jackson, you need to hear some of the accolades too. You have surely earned them !!

Regards, Paul

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 5:21 pm    

Jeff, does this mean that a backstage pass to the next Clint Black show is out of the question? That's OK! I think I'll try out for a cameo spot on Lloyd & Tommy's next video. See you there!