The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where are the new players?
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 3:08 am    

Quote:
Is this just a reflection of the forum, is the forum a place that attracts older steel players?

The Forum probably attracts older players to a slight degree over the general population of steel players. But there is no question that the interest of new players is considerably less than 25-30 years ago. At that time, a number of mainstream commercial rock groups had steel players (Poco, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander COdy, Pure Prairie League, Linda Ronstadt, etc.). Many currrent players took up steel because their favorite bands had a steel-player. Nowadays, I don't think Britney Spears or 'N sync plan on adding a steel.

Quote:
Are steel players a dying breed? Are there enough younger players out there to keep this instrument alive and vital?

The operative word here is ENOUGH. There are new players, but, IMO, certainly not enough. But things are constantly evolving. The Sacred Steel thing seems to show a lot of promise. So, you never know. And it's still used a lot in recordings. I don't think we should worry about it.

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 6:14 am    

Thanks, Ole. I, too, am a mid-life convert to steel guitar. After playing guitar for 30 years, taking up a new instrument has been a lot of fun. I wonder how many out there are like us, picking it up later in life? It's so interesting to me that a band like Dire Straits can be the vehicle for spreading interest in steel guitar around the world. What a great contribution Paul has made.

Joe, I'm glad to hear you're into steel. Take from a former fretted instrument player, it's going to take some getting used to. But it's worth it. My biggest adjustment -- relaxing the left hand.

Jeff, you are right on. Last year I bought a CD of the NRPS first album and while the songs haven't aged all that well (IMHO) it reminded me of just how much I enjoyed that steel playing. I remember a friend at that time (1973) who bought a sho-bud and never could figure out what to do with it. Of course, they didn't have the forum back then.

[This message was edited by Stephen O'Brien on 26 July 2001 at 07:15 AM.]

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 8:58 am    

Stephen,

I, too, wonder how many get started later in life. I did take up the steel in the seventies and even recorded on a record in Nashville in '76, but my knowledge of the steel was extremely limited and it was a fluke that I was there. I soon lost interest due to the complexity of the instrument.

Now that I am older, I have a real appreciation for it and a lot more patience, so I've taken it up again. I am learning quickly because of two things: my musical background for over 30 yrs and having a local mentor who guides my learning.

I would bet that there are many more like us.
Anyway, I'm having a blast with it. Soon I plan to switch to steel in my band. Right now I'm the bass player. We'll see how it goes.

I hope that the steel never dies. I don't think it will, totally. It's too beautiful.

Thanks all,

Tony Orth
Dekley S-11

GORDY NICHOL

chattanooga,tn usa
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 10:55 am    

PSG is alive,as long as it's heard! We can expect people to be curious about it as long as it is being played in some type of format. I would rather hear more "In your Face" steel (ie.Dwight's "What do you know about love?)but "fills & pads" at least keep it in there! I hope that the "Bluegrass Edge" I'm hearing now (Patty Loveless,Dolly) will spike more interest in traditional sounds. The sales of "O,Bro........" speaks for itself! And remember the # 1 selling bluegrass song had steel on it. I have at least one person ask about my steel every time I play out,and a lot of these folks are young . I am 38 years young myself!!!

[This message was edited by GORDY NICHOL on 26 July 2001 at 11:57 AM.]

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 4:13 pm    

This is going to sound weird, but the roots music genre seems to attract a certain male audience.
Rhythms magazine here in Melbourne did a survey almost two years ago where they found out that their core audience averaged around 49 years of age, played guitar and were male. The mag covers zydeco, folk, blues, cajun, western swing, alt-and more mainstream country among other things.

The Fender Telecaster Reissue Forum had a poll a while back and found that they were basically males in the early 1950s to late 40s in gemeral, and of course mainly Fender guitar players.

I think there are some simple factors, the age group in the baby boomers and post boomer crowd, they are generally more affluent, computer literate and grew up in a period where roots music and popular music intersected in an interesting way.
The forum has this too, but it's such a unique community that it's drawn in a much wider spectrum of pickers, it is interesting to see the avergae age is pretty similar to the other survey's I've seen.
Because I've never seen a musical forum where such a diverse crowd posts, and when you consider some of the ages and history of some of the people here, well it's simply amazing.

In a passing note, I guess the male dominance is basically a reflection of a society slow to change. The guys play on the bandstand, the chicks sit and watch or wait at home. It's changing, but like at a snails pace. No offence to all the great female steelers, pickers or housewives intended.

[This message was edited by Jason Odd on 26 July 2001 at 05:20 PM.]

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 6:55 pm    

As others have previously mentioned, there are MANY young steel players in the "sacred steel" field, i.e. the House of God, Keith Dominion churches. Today at one of our shows I had the good fortune to speak with a black bus driver, a Mr. Jimmy Keyes, who is also a seasoned blues musician. He was very interested in my steel and plans to purchase one soon. He told me that black musicians of every genre including jazz, blues, gospel, r&b, etc. are WELL AWARE of how Christian black young people are taking to the steel guitar. Mr. Keyes has already been to two of the Sacred Steel Conventions in Florida and seen it himself. His prediction is that the steel will eventually become a fairly prominent musical instrument in the black community because of its popularity with these younger musicians. I also spoke to sacred steeler Calvin Cook at the Michigan Steel Show back in April and he told me that he is acquainted with a number of youngsters who can play amazingly well on pedal steel and have only been at it a very short time. More power to them!

Tim R.

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2001 6:46 pm    

I think I probably qualify as a young steeler. I'm 26; been playing (at) steel since 19. I was absolutely eaten up with steelguitaritis as a kid, and was so happy when I finally broke down and bought that old Sho-Bud. Even happier when I finally could play something well enough as to stand to be in the same room with my own playing.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 12:47 pm    

I am 32 years old and have played Pedal Steel for about 11 years.

Beginning as a guitarist 25 years ago I took up Pedal Steel at the recommendation of a friend of mine songwriter Frank Dean of Indianapolis.

Seeing that I have played Telecaster type C/W music for all that time I thought it seemed fitting to play Pedal Steel. I have taken lessons with Ray Flacke and Albert Lee both....I also have spent a number of years as a Jazz Guiatrist performing in Big Bands and Jazz Combos (formerly of the US Army Band).

I began using a B Bender in 1986, shortly before they came into fashion in the 90's.

Today, I play pedal steel as a primary instrument and having a blast!

Check out my webpage for pix and more detailed information. http://communities.msn.com/TimHarrHomepage

I was always the "kid" picker around town....it seems now that I will be 33 next month...that is not the case.

I always encourage younger people to get involved with a Pedal Steel or non-pedal steel.

This instrument actually has improved my harmony singing.....I think.. ha ha.

Tim

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 1:20 pm    

I am approached by curious music fans from time to time when I play out with my band and those people that "know" what a steel sounds like, usually comment that they would like to learn. Those inquiring folks usually already know how to play guitar, so they have some knowledge about the steel. I make it a point to spend some time with them as far as giving them references, ie; Carter Starter, Jeffran College, etc., in hopes that they might persue steel guitar. Maybe if everyone does the same, we can encourage new players.

Usually, the first words from these enthusiasts is "I love the steel guitar". Lets make it happen!

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 4:07 am    

When I started playing steel at 17--I'm now
52--the price of a used steel wasn't that bad.But like everything else, the price went up and up! To me, that has a lot to do with the problem. I have said for years that the price of new and used steels were TOO high.
I know I will get slamed for that!!! But thanks to Carter Guitars, the Carter Starter
was born, I think they have opened the door for a lot of young players. Thats my 2 1/2 cents. Thanks, Junior.

------------------
Bb is where it's at!

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 4:59 am    

Ann, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. How true.

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 10:39 am    

Jason Weirauch ~ about 18 years old
playing his Carter PRO model S-10

which he purchased, with his parents' help,
when he was 17 years old**

**At the time of this photo, Jason was a very big admirer of Junior Knight and I believe he still is!

[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 01 August 2001 at 11:42 AM.]

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 9:05 am    

What a great thread. I played six-string for 17 years before hearing Bruce Kaphan
with the Red House Painters produced a fork in the road for me. For years I had been trying to get the six-string to do things that the steel can do; with open tunings, Whammy pedals, vibrato bar, etc. When I heard Kaphan playing, I realized this was the instrument that would enable me to get what was in my head out there.
For what it's worth, both my teacher Bob Hoffnar and I are in our early 30's, do we qualify as young players? Now if I can just get this singing and playing thing happening...

Gerald