The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Goldmark's new CD
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 1:40 pm    

I just got through listening to Joe's new CD "Strong Like Bull...But Sensitive Like Squirrel", and I'm happy to say Joe has produced another winner.

Once again, the emphasis is on rock and pop music, rather than country. But even so, this is a bit of a departure from Joe's previous work in a couple of ways, For one thing he sings on one song, Charlie Rich's "Lonely Weekends." Joe's not a great singer, but he doesn't pretend to be. He obviously was having fun when he did the track, and the lighthearted vibe comes through on the recording.

More significantly, although most of Joe's CD's feature some original tunes, this one has a lot of them. We get to hear not just the player, but the writer. If Joe doesn't have much of a future as a vocalist, he may well have one as a composer.

Another aspect of this CD that is somewhat different from his previous work is that there seems to be less overdubbing and multiple steel parts (although there is some.) This CD has more of a live feel.

But that great Goldmark tone is still there, and Joe's playing is terrific. If you've never heard Joe before, you're in for a treat. If you have, you're still in for one, even though you know what to expect.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 9:50 pm    

Hi Mike, and thank you for the nice review. I think you covered it pretty well. I also do some fun covers (Blind Faith, Elvis Costello, Brian Wilson, Otis Redding, etc.) as well as the originals that Mike mentioned. Anyone interested should be able to buy it from bOb here on the forum soon. Hope you like it, Joe

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 11:01 pm    

It's the Forum "CD of the Month" for July. Click the picture below for the special deal:

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 6:42 am    

Joe, that has to be your best album cover yet.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 1:34 pm    

I like all of Joe's recordings and I will oreder his new CD asap! As far as album covers, ya gotta love Joe at the steel with Beatles. I remember when the the Fab 4 appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was 14 and now I'm a member of the AARP!*sheesh*
Lenny

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 11:43 am    

"Presence of the Lord", I saw Blind Faith (Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Rick Gretsch, and a very young Stevie Winwood) do that live in San Antonio. I will(like always)be interested in hearing your unique stylings, Joe. Any chance of you doing some of these during your set at Scotty's Convention? Would it be presumptuous of me to ask?

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 5:17 pm    

Hi Wayne,
You could never be presumptuous as far as I'm concerned. How's it going in Denver these days? I just heard from your bud Chuck Lettes. Anyway, I will be playing some tunes from this album, and a few from other albums too. I'll also be bringing the 10 Gallon Cats, who are a treat to see. Hopefully we'll have some fun and mix it up a little musically. Look forward to seeing you there. Joe

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2001 10:32 am    

I've been enjoying Joe's new CD for several days now. It's my favorite of all his work that I've heard. His playing is clean and bright and very melodic. My favories are Bargain Bolero, Bells of Madness and Presence of the Lord (which, sorry Joe, I might just have to steal, er... steel). Great job, man!
jc

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 2:49 pm    

See you there Joe! Can't wait to see you and the CATS strut your stuff! We are getting together there! Talk to you about it there, much like last year!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 3:36 pm    

Let me add my voice to the chorus of praise for Joe's newest CD. This record builds on the great tunes and tone of "All Hat, No Cattle", Joe's previous effort. The playing is first rate here again but the real joy of this record is the great choice of tunes and more consistent mood. My favorite cut is Brian Wilson's "Bells of Madness". What a good song! Can anyone post the chord progression? I couldn't find it anywhere on the net. Maybe Joe?