The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Photos of Buddy Emmons with Everly Brothers
Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 9:57 am    

Hi Group:

Here's a link to photos I took last night from about 300 to 400 feet from the stage at the Britt Festival in Jacksonville, Oregon of the Everly Brothers concert featuring Buddy Emmons on the pedal steel guitar.

[url=http://www.rvi.net/~aldg/Aldg's%20Photos/With%20JVC%20GC-S1U/Britt%20Everly%20Brothers%20Concert/Everly%20Brothers/]http://www.rvi.net/~aldg/Aldg's%20Photos/With%20JVC%20GC-S1 U/Britt%20Everly%20Brothers%20Concert/Everly%20Brothers/[/url]

Also included in the band, replacing Albert Lee on lead guitar was the son on the late Johnny Hartford, Jaime Hartford.

The concert was great. The Everly sang very well and the audience was very receptive of their music.

The question that I had going into the concert was: How was Buddy's steel playing going to compliment the Everly sound? I've listened to many Everly Brothers songs during the 1950s and 1960s and I don't recall hearing a steel guitar on any of them.

My question was answered, as expected, in the affirmative. Buddy's playing was as delightful as I can remember when I last heard him live over 10 years ago in L.A. with the Ray Price band. His playing added a real touch of taste (and a country flavor) to the Everly sound.

His tone was outstanding and his balance with the rest of the band was very good. He seems to have a real nack for playing the right riffs and chords just at the correct time. He didn't conflict with the other instrumentalist (keyboard and lead guitar) in the group and at times, he twinned with the lead guitarist, Jaime.

All in all, I was very pleased with the concert and with Buddy's playing. He appeared like he was having a good time and it certainly showed in his playing.

I should also mention that one of the Everlys gave Buddy a very nice introduction. He said that in the early 1950s when they (the Everlys) visited the Grand Ole Opry for the first time, this young steel player was "already" playing on the Opry. He went on to introduce Buddy as the "maestro of the pedal steel guitar."

I tried to interview Buddy after the concert but he slipped on to their bus quickly after the concert was over. I even followed the bus over to the Red Lion Inn in Medford, Oregon, where the group was lodged and the management of the motel wouldn't allow me to contact anyone in the band. I even spoke to one of the Everlys at the motel and he wouldn't help me. Ce la vie!

The opening group to the concert was Big Sandy and the Fly Rite Boys featuring Canadian Jimmy Roy on the pedal steel guitar. I have posted another subject thread for my photos of their group.

It was certainly a wonderful evening and I hope that you enjoy the photos.

------------------
Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, Oregon. USA
Fender 1000 (1957),
Fender PS 210 (1972) &
Gibson Electraharp EH-820
(1962)
Pictures of PS 210 &
EH-820 at http://www.rvi.net/~aldg

[This message was edited by Al Gershen on 21 July 2001 at 10:58 AM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2001 5:01 am    

Al;
Glad you enjoyed the show! Buddy and the boys will never let you down. I'm glad that they had Buddy up in the mix, so you could hear him.
Don always introduces Buddy as "The Maestro".
Jamie Hartford plays guitar when Albert can't be there.
Buddy has played close to the same show for a number of years. I think he could effortlessly play the show with his eyes closed.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Rusty Walker

Markham Ont. Canada, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2001 11:05 am    

Good stuff, Al.I dearly wanted to see them when they played Toronto a short time ago,but had an out-of towner that date.It's amazing how well preserved they all look.They must be doing something that I'm not

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2001 4:14 pm    

The only 50's Everly Bros. tune that I can remember having steel is the one that goes "I wonder if I'll feel as much, as I did before..." I saw the Everlys in '88, they were great then too, but no steel.

BTW, thanks for the pictures!

[This message was edited by Chris DeBarge on 22 July 2001 at 05:15 PM.]