The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Little Roy Wiggens lap steel - any good?
Joseph De Feo

Narberth, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 12:28 pm    

There is a production lap by Morrell Music -
L.R. Wiggens 8 string, tube p/u, guitar. Has anyone tried this lap. I'm on a budget an don't have an 8 Good price and it looks like decent hardware. What do you think?

Thanks, Joe.

George Manno

chicago
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 12:39 pm    

Joe,
players either love 'em or hate 'em. Some say the strings are too close together and the pickup is too hot. Others like the tone.
Personally, I do not care for their bridge, but get along fine with it.
The new models have a redesigned headstock. If you get it, invest in some new tuning machines.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 1:36 pm    

Seems to me that by the time you get done making the upgrades to make those good guitars you could buy one of the Playboys from Herb Remington. I have one on the way right now, should have it in the next 2 days, I'll let you know what I think then.

Jack Therrell

Conroe, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 10:52 am    

Joe;
I have a morrell and a playboy. Almost apples and oranges when you consider one is a true lap steel and the other has s legs abd stands alone. But that is only part of the difference. The playboy has the george L66 pickup which is very superior to the lipstick p.u. on the morrell. The morrell has a tinny sound in comparision so overall I agree with Keith that if you brought the morrell up to standard you might be better off to buy somthing else in the beginning. But wait another factor is price and that is very much in morrell's favor. The playboy is almost double what you can get a playboy
for. Plus i had to waith about 4 months for Herb to build my playboy. I ordered tha morrell from Bobbe and got it in a few days. Have I just confused you? Hope not, anyway any kind of steel is good. Jack