The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Frequent internet dissconnects
Ed Meadway

Western New York
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 2:03 am    

Has anyone used an oscilliscope to monitor the phone wire signal while connected to the internet? I get a varing frequency of about 2v p-p while connected. Then suddenly it will change to a steady frequency (same amplitude) which I think is the carrier. Then about 2 seconds later I'll see the dreaded red explosion on the little monitor screen and I'm gone. Sometimes the connection only lasts 20 seconds, and sometimes I can stay connected for an hour........Ed

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 2:33 am    

This same subject comes up quite a lot. There are many reasons for disconnects. From the PC it'self to the modem, to the line, to the ISP, etc. etc. etc.

I do some PC work on the side and one of the biggest problems I find is "inside wiring" (the wiring inside a house) or another phone that is connected to the same line as the PC. A defective phone can cause line glitches that will cause the modem to disconnect.

Here are some areas to check:

1.PC. Many of the newer PCI modems require a lot of free resources in the PC to function properly. If you have less than 80% free resources at startup (on a Windows PC) that could cause problems (Compaq's with the Rockwell/Connexant chipset are susecptable to this problem). The modem it'self could be suspect - avoid generic or cheap modems.
Also replace the interface cable between the modem and the telephone jack.

2.Try disconnecting ALL the phones in the house and then see if you get the modem disconnected. If that is the problem start hooking each phone back up one at a time till you find the one causing the problem. Some Cordless phones seem to cause a lot of problems.

3. Move the modem connection to the telephone line to a different telephone jack in the house to see if the problem goes away. If it does then there may be loose connections on that particular drop either at the jack or where the line connects into the main house wiring. If moving to another jack doesn't change anything, try another jack (if there is one) in the house. If none of the jacks make a difference, check the wiring connections at the TELCO demarc box outside the house.

If none of the "local" items are a problem then it could be in the telco line (but it's hard to pin them down on modem data problems since the line is a dialup "Voice" line).
One other factor is the distance from the telco exchange, if you have several "hops" or substations to go through before getting to the local telco exchange office that will affect modem speed and could affect the connection. (If you are within about 3 miles of the telco central office there is a good chance it's a direct line but further distances may require repeaters which complicate things. This is also true for DSL service - currently limited to customers that are approx 3 miles from the telco central office).

The ISP's dialup modem bank or telco interface could be causing a problem, but again it's hard to pin them down - most ISP's "don't have problems". However, one ISP I used to have had one modem in their modem bank that was bad but they would never admit it. It seemed anytime they were busy (get busy signals when trying to connect) when you would finally get through many times it would be to (apparently) that one particular modem. I could tell as the modem tones were different on that modem.

Finally if your on AOL, the only wany you're going to get rid of the disconnects is change to a different ISP.

This is not all the potential problems that can cause disconnects but is a good starting point.

Ed Meadway

Western New York
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 7:57 am    

Hi Jack,
I suspected wiring my self so I ran an extension cord from another room, which made no difference. I ran a new 12/3 cable from the computer receptacle to the breaker box with no change. I also am using a Voltage Regulator and Conditioner that doesn’t help.

I ran a new 2 conductor twisted pair from the computer to the phone connection in the basement using a different route away from all other cables. I tried grounding and ungrounding the shield with no change.

I have a Motorola SM 56 modem and also switched to a DSI 56K PCI Fax Modem with the same results. I’ve also switched the modem / phone jack cable.

I checked the reserves at Start / control panel / system / system properties / performance and I have 65% free.

I have disconnected all the phone lines except the modem line.

The switching office is about 4 miles away as marked by road distance. They claim the line is clear, but I did get the speech about “voice only” requirements.

I’ve never used AOL. I have used 2 different ISP’s and also tried Net Zero and the problem is always the same.

I will go out and check the outside connection as you suggested right now.

Thanks for the idea…………..Ed

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 8:40 am    

You can do a line test via 3Com to check the 'inside wiring' - or, I shouled say more generically, your phone connection.

http://www.3com.com/56k/need4_56k/linetest.html

I had similar trouble once upon a time, and I had LOUSY service until I got rid of my 'Win Modem' and got, in my case, an external. Model type can have a LOT to do with it.

Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 6:00 pm    

Ed,
I live in a rural community about 10 miles from the phoner exchange. On several occasions I've had the same problem. I is always the main phone line. It gets static or intermidate shorts and this plays havoc with a modem. When you are sure you phone system in house is OK, call the phone company and have them check their line.

------------------
Harold Parris

Lori Smith

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 7:16 am    

The phone line we used (before we moved recently) was AWFUL. Static, noise and clicks. We lived about 1200 feet from the telco central station. Phone company came out and replaced some of the outside wiring which they said was older and replaced the box (all at no cost because it was on their side). It fixed the problem. BUT, we still had disconnects. Turns out, anytime someone tried to call us (even with call-waiting), we got disconnected. We didn't pick up on it until friends would mention times and dates they were calling and it dawned on me that we were online. We tested it and sure enough, that's what seemed to cause it about 80% of the time. (We don't use AOL so I knew that wasn't the true problem). I know that their are shareware programs that can help this, just do a web search.

We recently bought a house and our list of requirements: garage, two bedroom, large yard and DSL hook-up. As they say in the real estate market, location, location, location! Well, no more disconnects. It's been heaven!

------------------
Lori Smith - email: lori@b0b.com - Web Page Design - PictureHost.net

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 7:48 am    

Quote:
Turns out, anytime someone tried to call us (even with call-waiting), we got disconnected.

You need to turn off call-waiting before dialing your ISP. This can be done quite easily where you enter the ISP phone number.

I don't know the codes, because I don't have call waiting.

It's something like adding "*70," before the number.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2000 3:22 am    

I had AOL for far too long and went through all those disconnects. Sometimes I couldn't even send e-mail or get cut off in the middle of a message. I got a cable modem and it's not a problem anymore and it really moves fast.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 4:05 am    

Ed, all the replies here are good information.
I'll try to add something useful...
What modem do you use? What "operating system"?
Obtain & install the most recent driver for your modem.
Try the bandwith test & advice at this link: http://www.computingcentral.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest500.asp
If you are getting poor "bandwith" performance, i.e. less than around 48,000 Bps
on a V90 modem, AND a lot of unexplained disconnects, have your phone company test your lines. Things like water in a splice box, deteriorated wiring, and a zillion other things can degrade data transfer performance through telephone lines.
Once you get those problems fixed, I suggest using a "keep-alive" program to avoid ISP disconnects. I use a shareware app called "Connection Keeper", which is about 1 Mbyte in size when installed. It fixed a random ISP disconnect problem I was having.
I use a 3COM/US Robotic V90 modem...in my
C:\windows\ directory, (W98SE), there's a log file named "USRobotics56KPNP.log
It shows all the modem's functions & errors, during the current or last on-line period.
You may have a similar log file for your modem. Good Luck!

[This message was edited by Rich Paton on 20 October 2000 at 05:14 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 5:27 am    

V.90 connection speeds of 38.8Kb and above are considered in the "normal" range for V.90, according to several industry articles I've seen written about connection speeds.

There are very few, that I have found, that have consistent 48K and above and if they do get a 48K it's usually not as reliable as lower speeds.

One other thing to consider on modem connect speed. It may connect at a specific speed but the two modems (the PC's and the ISP's) are constantly handshaking and negotiating the optimum speed at any given time. Consequently the average or total throughput for a given session is a better indication of performance. Also, depending on the modem, some brands or types of modems have better throughput than others.