The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scan and send a tuning chart
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 9:41 pm    

I have guys asking for a copy of my E6-9-13 tuning chart. I made one up, and scan it and save it. Then when I want to send as attachement it usually way too big, like as if I zoomed it, and I didn't! I check it out sending it to myself and comes back too large. I must be doing something wrong. Will a tuning chart go as a rich text file, a bmp file, jpeg file or what is the best way. I don't get along too good with my computer. I like the steel guitar a lot better....al

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 2:17 am    

When you scan it in, use the smallest resolution that will still produce a legible copy. Generally 75 or 150 resolution. After you get the file in, you may want to resize it as sometimes it will scan in very large (display very large). Last, save it as a jpg or gif file as these types compress the file into a smaller file size.

Another option is to retype your tuning chart using a wordprocessor or even the windows notepad and save the file. This file will be considerably smaller than the graphic file. Everyone that has WIN95 and above can view the Windows notepad file. I don't know if a MAC will read the notepad file, but if someone has a MAC you could always send them the larger jpg file.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2000 3:58 pm    

Thanks , Jack. I appreciate your help. I will try that out. Maybe it will solve my tuning chart problems.
Jon Light also Emailed me a couple of hints that I will try, along those lines.....al

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 4:29 pm    

Hi Al,

maybe you scanned in full color. You should try black and white or line art. That will reduce the size a lot. A resolution of 100 dpi is enough for viewing on a computer monitor. Good luck.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 4:10 am    

Better to do, scan the picture in color and convert it to grayscale in an external program, such as Adobe Photoshop. This "hides" any debris or dust that may have gotten on the scanner, and produces a better picture. Then after you have converted it to grayscale, you can save it as a .gif or .jpg.

Jonathan

------------------
www.cullifer.com