The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  H e l p
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 3:06 pm    

I did the ultimate no no. I reformated my hard drive without the right boot up disk. My biggest problem right now is the cdrom. It has to work to reinstall windows 95. I have the cdrom disk driver on a floppy. It says to install through windows. Can this be installed through DOS? It is a spare computer but it provides the ultimate challenge of seeing which of us is the smartest. So far computer 6, me 0. thanks in advance. Winston

[This message was edited by winston on 19 September 2000 at 04:07 PM.]

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 3:29 pm    

Winston:
If you know anybody with a Win 98 start up disk, borrow it from them. Gives you a choice of booting with or without CDROM installed. Once you boot up, you should then be able to access the CDROM and install Win 95 from DOS. Change directory from C to whatever your cd is (ie- D:\Win95) and type setup.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 9:19 pm    

You need a formatted floppy with the system files and device drivers on it specific to load your CD Rom. I can make one for you if you send me what you have or email some to you that you can try~~( I keep a floppy aorund here just for that circumstance- we've all done it~~)

winston

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 1:06 am    

Jim, I really don't know for sure what I have, I think it is pretty basic, about a 2 gig hard drive, maybe 150mhz processor, win95. The brand name is Inteva. The CDROM has 20X Max on the front cover. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the offer.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 2:40 am    

Make a "startup disk" from your working system. It may or may not work but it's worth a try. Go to the control panel and then to add/remove programs and then click on the startup tab. It will make a startup disk with the configuration and drivers for that PC but it may work or at least work enough so you can get WIN95 reloaded on the other PC.

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 6:44 am    

I've got a startup disk that I use that has generic drivers on it for EIDE (ATAPI) CDROMs. It's worked on every CDROM that I've ever tried it on. Most likely, your CDROM is EIDE compliant, so it should work on yours too. Let me know if you don't come up with a solution, & I'll make a copy for you. Or maybe I can just email the drivers & configuration files to you through an attachment. You could just copy them onto your boot disk & it should work.

Let me know,

George

winston

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 5:54 pm    

To keep everyone informed, computer 6, me 6. George sent me the right cdrom driver files I needed and it is up and running. No sound yet but I am working on it. Thanks everyone.