The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pointer arrow
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 7:46 am    

at times the pointer arrow sticks and I have to restart the computer to unstick it. This happens about once a day and then it will go for 6 wks or so w/o sticking. Any ideas?

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 8:30 am    

I assume you are talking about the mouse cursor pointer. When it "sticks" and nothing will happen, the PC has usually either hung up waiting on a program that is not responding or the PC's system resources (memory) has reached a point that it can't process any additional requests. Those problem descriptions are very general but basically that's what has happened.

There's many things that can be looked at but from the way you describe the problem it would appear that you are not that familiar with PC troubleshooting. So I'll take the "easy" way and ask you what kind of processsor do you have and how much memory and how much hard drive space do you have (and how much hard drive space is remaining) and what operating system are you using (e.g. WIN95, WIN98, etc.). We can use that as a starting point.

Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 7:21 am    

CC

If you are using Win95 or 98 you canhold down the control and alt buttons at the same time and hit the del key. This will pop up a window showing what programs are open and any not responding will be so noted. Select the not responding program and click on end task. This will bring up a second window and then hit end task in the second window. This will shut down only the program not responding and you will not have to reboot your computer.

Of course, if all else fails, hit reset.

Chuck

------------------
MCI D10 8/4 and ZumSteel S10
Nashville 400

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 8:10 am    

Once again the forum is a god send. Thanks to Jack and Chuck I was able to put 2 and 2 together and get 4. As you could probably tell I am one of these guys that had to have my granddaughter show me how to turn this blasted machine on. Another thanks to b0b for this great site. cc

------------------

Vince Smith

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 4:33 pm    

While the cursor police are available, I am on AOL using I.E. 5.0. At times my cursor disappears from web pages but still lurks in the background and to the sides of the web page. Usually I can locate the "X" closing button by feel, exit AOL and reboot only AOL and get back in business. Does anyone have a gimmick for this one?

[This message was edited by Vince Smith on 16 July 2000 at 05:34 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 5:48 pm    

A good indicator as to whether your computer is "locked up", or "just busy" is the light that comes on when you press the "Caps Lock" key. If you press this key, and the light doesn't change, it's a 99.99% chance that it is "locked up" (computer-speak for "I am attempting to do something which I really can't!"), and nothing short of a shutdown will restart it. Most times, if this light doesn't change, "Ctrl-Alt-Del" won't work either!

Also, sometimes the "Task Manager" function is useless because of cryptic program names that are listed...like "Atiptaaa", and "Stimon". You'd think "Gates Geeks"(my own 'copyrighted' term, thank you!) could have found space somewhere in one and one-half million lines of code to put an meaningful error message on the task bar!

Pinheads!